Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1198  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1198
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »
You're being too global.

I've been called many things, but never global.

Barnabas comes home after a hard day at the shipyards. Angelique has prepared a scrumptious pot roast dinner and a blueberry buckle for dessert. Barn says, “Blueberry buckle was Sarah’s favorite dessert. You bitch! You killed my sister!” He completely forgets that he loves her. Then he chokes her. End of story.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 12:10:17 AM »
Janet the Wicked, I think I love you.

saluting,

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »
Not that I'm defending Ang, but technically speaking the curse killed Sarah (and Josette, and Naomi). And, yes, Ang, also placed the curse - but she did also try to remove it. And Ang was also its first victim. Just saying...  [easter_cheesy]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »
Not that I'm defending Ang, but technically speaking the curse killed Sarah (and Josette, and Naomi). And, yes, Ang, also placed the curse - but she did also try to remove it. And Ang was also its first victim. Just saying...  [easter_cheesy]

I know, but I'm global. Remember?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:47 AM »
Janet the Wicked, I think I love you.

Everybody loves me. Everybody!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 01:07:51 AM »
This has just led me to think that 1897 Edith may have actually been married to Quentin I, who died in 1863...
Do we know that Q1 died in 1863? I don't think I ever did

Old Edith remarked that her husband died in 1863 (34 years prior to 1897), and I think what Joeytrom is doing above is theorizing that she was speaking about Quentin I.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 05:31:32 AM »
Old Edith remarked that her husband died in 1863 (34 years prior to 1897), and I think what Joeytrom is doing above is theorizing that she was speaking about Quentin I.

I specifically remember the name "Gabriel" being uttered by Grandmama.   Not that distinct memories can't be wrong.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 08:20:19 AM »
Lots of stuff going on here - what fun!

Actually, Lydia never meant anything like that, as is clear from what she goes on to say.  ;)
Like what?  That's a quote.   It was just a nice observation about Lamar and the viewers being in comparable positions though; I wasn't reading anything further into it.
My point was that to take that particular remark away from the context of what Lydia goes on to say can easily imply that the point she was making was that with the switch to 1841PT the audience as well as the show itself is trapped in a bad storyline and thus it dies there. But within the full context of what she says it's clear that isn't what she was saying because after making that remark she goes on to say how much she loves 1841PT. However, I can now see from your explanation that that wasn't the implication you were trying to make by taking her remark away from its context.
This is great!  I feel like a famous author.  Dead, but famous.

I like the point about the Stairway through Time spreading its tentacles (or spores)
Cool words!

Joan Bennett and Grayson Hall have the distinction of being the only cast members to appear in three time periods in a single episode: 1840RT, 1971RT, and 1840PT.
Cool thought!

I've been called many things, but never global.
Janet the Global...It has a nice ring!

As for who died in 1863, it was definitely Gabriel, identified by Grandmama Edith as her husband.  I put together a scenario a while back for how Barnabas's and Julia's 1840 shenanigans might have avoided messing up 1897 irreparably.  Nobody responded to it because nobody reads Dead White Female Authors, but that's OK.  Here it is:

1. 1840 Quentin and Daphne have no offspring.
2. Tad dies in the Civil War, bravely falling alongside his cousin Thaddeus.
3. 1840 Quentin dies sometime after 1840 but before 1870 or so.
4. Daphne raises Judith, Edward, 1897 Quentin, and Carl when their parents die: “Great-aunt-aunt” instead of “Grandmamama”.
5. I Ching, possibly even more devoted to Barnabas than Julia is, cleans up the mess created by the fact that Barnabas, having arrived in 1840 via I Ching, leaves via the staircase.  Thanks to I Ching, there is a Barnabas in the coffin in 1967 for Willie to discover.
With a postscript that Daphne didn't know the secret, but I don't think Grandmama's knowledge of the secret was essential to the action in 1897.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »
1897 Edith never mentioned her husband's name, just that he died 34 years before.  She does reference him in a very positive way.

It would be interesting to see old Daphne tell Barnabas about meeting his "grandfather" over 50 years ago and that he helped save the family and her husband from death.  
Would have been great to see his reaction!

As for who died in 1863, it was definitely Gabriel, identified by Grandmama Edith as her husband

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
I assume that after Desmond and Leticia have the door to PT closed in their faces, and after Desmond arranges for Valerie's funeral, they will leave Collinwood for New York. Since Q1 and Daphne have already left for Boston and then Europe, once again we are left with an empty Collinwood....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »
The next generation could inherit later, and take up residence again.

Lydia, I didn't respond to your earlier scenario because since it results in all sorts of details being different, and I still considered that changed history... plus I'm sure it was a worse than usual eye day.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »
OK, Magnus, my conclusion is that since nobody has pointed out any actual plot holes in my scenario, then there aren't any.  (Which proves it must be wrong, because what would Dark Shadows be without plot holes?)

1897 Edith never mentioned her husband's name, just that he died 34 years before.  She does reference him in a very positive way.
Edith definitely mentioned Gabriel's name.  My look at the Robservations didn't help on the subject, so it would be necessary to go back and watch the episodes (705 and 706, I think) to make sure that Edith identified Gabriel as her husband, and I'd rather not get distracted from what we're watching now.  But I think those episodes left no doubt that Edith's husband was Gabriel.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 01:25:27 PM »
I think you may be confusing Gabriel with Daniel.  Edith mentioned Daniel Collins and that he forced her and her husband to live at Collinwood instead of the Old House.   She also shouted out "I am not going with you Daniel!"

Edith definitely mentioned Gabriel's name.  My look at the Robservations didn't help on the subject, so it would be necessary to go back and watch the episodes (705 and 706, I think) to make sure that Edith identified Gabriel as her husband, and I'd rather not get distracted from what we're watching now.  But I think those episodes left no doubt that Edith's husband was Gabriel.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
Well, let's wait till someone sees it again.   I remember "Gabriel" too.   

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
I remember "Gabriel" too.

You may have substituted the name in your mind because you'd already seen 1840, but what you were hearing was Carl reminiscing about his "grandfather" or Grandmama Edith referring to her "husband" a handful of times.  I think the first time the name Gabriel was spoken was late into the summer of 1970 storyline by modern-day characters while they were possessed by their 1840 lookalikes.