Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1146  (Read 1825 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1146
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1146
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:40:12 AM »
Kate Jackson VO.   Daniel's apoplectic about Q possibly being a murderer... Well, I guess some fathers don't want the son to go into the family business.   Finally, Gabriel's back.   When half the characters just don't appear for days or weeks, I really don't imagine them off camera.  They seem totally gone to me.  So it's strange seeing them waltz right back onto the show again.

I think the Quentins are in love with falling in love, the newness of it, the sense of discovery.  Then when the romance is well underway, they lose interest and move on, once again so earnest about their heartfelt feelings, with new girlfriend.   I also think they both go to their graves (if Q2 ever does that) blissfully oblivious that this is what they're doing.

I really like that very short bit of music:  Bum, bum... then icy sound that may be strings.  Serves as emotional reset button when the drama gets too mundane, pulling us back into the old DS atmosphere.

Gerard Zachery calls Collinwood a "small, unsightly pit"!   Terry Crawford was great as Beth, but is utterly unconvincing as a cynical schemer.   Maybe she's just too nice.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
This episode was shown in November, so it was surprising to see Daphne dressed for Christmas - red dress, green waistband, green ribbons braided into her hair.  I think that red and green didn't become the standard Christmas colors until long after 1840, but they certainly were by 1970.  In any case, it was all much too dressy for a governess, but unlike Rachel Drummond, who also dressed above her station, Daphne makes it seem as though it's only right that she should dress as well as anybody else.  She's always got an answer for everything, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she says to Quentin tomorrow.

When I decided the other day that Gerard had turned his manly charm on every female at Collinwood, I completely forgot about Edith, but of course he had smiled upon her as well.  I'm glad for her sake that she wasn't left out, I guess, but I never find Edith terribly interesting.  (And not, Magnus, because I think Terry Crawford is unconvincing as Edith.  On the contrary, I found her unconvincing as Beth in 1897.)  Has Edith anything but spite in her?  I can't believe she ever had any use for Gabriel, so she must have married him for the life of luxury at Collinwood, so she shouldn't be complaining about it now.  Have I said this before?  Probably.  It's all I have to say about 1840 Edith, except that I hate her dress.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
Quentin actually puts down his drink when he runs out of the drawing room to help his father!  [wink2]

We can see that Daphne is beginning to be distracted from her mission. It seems she is actually trying to understand Quentin and reacts to his parents' story with horror--even while still planning to kill him with her teeny little derringer.

Magnus, I do like your theory about the Quentins and love. Makes sense to me. Neither of them actually dumps the previous girlfriend but simply seems to forget her completely. And I do like that little bit of spooky music too.

The real casualty in all of this, of course, is poor Daniel--my heart goes out to him on account of Louis Edmonds' splendid portrayal. I wonder if Daniel ever had any real happiness in his life, aside from the time Ben coached him on what to take with him when running away from home--and that was way back in 1795/6/7....

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:10 PM »
I find that I don't care for Edith or Gabriel, as they don't factor into the main plot and are obviously "shoehorned" in, which given the outcome was futile anyway.  They were better off staying in the background.  Edith fooling around with Gerard was too much for me.  There should be at least some grounded characters in the family.

IMHO...The 1840 bunch aren't anywhere likeable as the 1897 family were.  There's too much needless drama.

Has Edith anything but spite in her?  I can't believe she ever had any use for Gabriel, so she must have married him for the life of luxury at Collinwood, so she shouldn't be complaining about it now.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
Though in Ep #1186 Edith has one of the best lines ever on DS. That's almost two more months away - but certainly something to look forward to...

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:08:01 AM »
IMHO...The 1840 bunch aren't anywhere likeable as the 1897 family were.  There's too much needless drama.

Was there ever a time at Collinwood when there WASN'T any drama? LOL

As for the 1840 and 1897 branches of the families, I feel the opposite...I think with the exceptions of Gabriel and Edith, the 1840 family were very much likable or at least sympathetic in one way or another. In 1897, with the exceptions of Quentin and the kids, I found the the other Collins intolerable. Judith was too self-righteous for my taste, Edward too stuffy and Carl too silly. I know a lot of folks on here love Carl, and I have nothing against practical jokes, but it was pretty clear that Carl devoted his whole life to them, so I can understand why his siblings would have gotten annoyed with him.

Not that I didn't love 1897, I did. But in some ways I prefer 1840, plot-holes and all, because I found more Collinses to really care about and root for.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
1840 was DS' attempt to get weird again! I totally dug it. The present-day stuff leading up to it got so repetitious and boring what with the possessions and hauntings and Daphne coming to life etc... 1840 was as close as I could get to re-living the glory days of 1897 for sure!!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 01:57:21 AM »
1840 was DS' attempt to get weird again! I totally dug it. The present-day stuff leading up to it got so repetitious and boring what with the possessions and hauntings and Daphne coming to life etc... 1840 was as close as I could get to re-living the glory days of 1897 for sure!!

And I may be the one and only person to agree with you on all this!   hoipe the back's better...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:46:45 AM »
OK Magnus, at least I'm in good company!! I enjoyed the short trip to 1995 immensely also. The echo and reverb they added to the voices inside the dilapidated Collinwood were very eerie!

--Back is s-l-o-w-l-y getting better. (Thanks for asking!) Three steps forward, one step back. Then two steps forward one step back... Overall better but not quite as good as I'd hoped it would be by now. Still has its moments! The mornings are murderous, but once I get over that I can usually function pretty normal... Dwarf tossing is out as a hobby for a while I think!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 07:54:08 AM »
Encouraging, RoboQ!   It is my fond hope that soon, you'll be tossing dwarfs like you never have before!