Author Topic: Robservations 10/11/02 - #686/687 - Ned Stewart Comes to Town  (Read 1720 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 10/11/02 - #686/687 - Ned Stewart Comes to Town
« on: October 11, 2002, 01:26:35 AM »
686 - (Joan Bennett) - There is a storm over the great estate of Collinwood, and as the lightning flashes, an ambulance leaves the great house. For this night, an aged silversmith arrived with important information which might give two people a clue to the danger that is threatening. But now the silversmith is dead, and no one knows how he died.

11 o'clock, drawing room - Barnabas ponders everything that's happening. Julia comes in--the autopsy shows Ezra died of heart failure, same thing that happened to Janet Findlay. Strange how so many hearts stop in this house, declares Barnabas (a funny line). I watched the autopsy, says Julia--Ezra was old and had heart trouble--there was no sign of violence on the body. Barnabas isn't convinced. She reminds him the room wasn't disturbed; if someone had been with him, they might have been able to save him. Barnabas is certain Ezra Braithwaite was murdered here tonight, and someone was, indeed, with him.

As usual, Julia tries to talk sense. How does he know he was murdered? Barnabas tells her about the ledger, which was sitting on the desk and is now missing. Julia can't believe someone killed Ezra to get the book. Barnabas tells her the jeweler had information he was going to pass on to me--he learned who he sold the pentagram to so long ago. Did you question David? Julia asks. No, says Barnabas, the boy was too upset when they found the body. Barn did question everyone in the house at the time (go, Barnabas Holmes). Who doe you suspect? asks Julia. The woman we saw, says Barn--the one who led us to Chris' house and to the woods where the pentagram was buried--it was directly responsible for Braithwaite being in the house. Julia protests that the woman wouldn't have killed the jeweler after doing all that--it makes no sense. What of the man Mrs. Johnson saw? asks Barnabas. Julia smiles and calls the housekeeper a repressed hysteric. But Maggie saw him too, says Barnabas--suppose this man and the woman we saw are in conflict?--she wants the secret known, he doesn't. Then we're all in danger, says Julia, and nothing can be done. The spirits have a helper, says Barnabas, and we must make that unwilling helper assist us, too.

David, in Quentin's room, takes the ledger off a dusty, cobwebby desk and brings it to his own room. He thinks to himself that Quentin won't know HE stole it from his room; he threw it on the desk and won't look for it again--I must learn why he did what he did. He sits on his bed and begins paging through the ledger. He looks at the accounts of the Braithwaites from January-June, 1897. Beth appears in his room. David looks at her, startled. She points to the book. Did Quentin send you? he asks, and begs her not to tell him about the book--I had to find out why!--he's terrible, he claims not to hurt anyone, but. . .I hate him.
She advances on him, pointing to the book. I can't give it to you! he cries--please don't tell Quentin I have it. He cowers in his bed. Tell Quentin I don't have it, pleads David. Beth nods agreement. David is relieved she won't tell. He didn't send her. She wants David to open the book. He does. "You want me to know!" David says. He finds the entry about the pentagram, repeating Ezra's quote from the previous episode. David asks why this is so important--why would Quentin kill for it? The room fills with Quentin's music. He's coming, says David, climbing off the bed--I know Quentin is in the room, I can feel his presence. Beth appears to be gone. David speaking in that dead voice, his face trancelike, says, "All right, Quentin, I stole the book because you promised you wouldn't hurt him. I'm sorry, Quentin, I won't do anything like that again. I'll do anything you say, Quentin." The music ceases. David picks up the dropped ledger and tears out the incriminating page. Someone knocks at the door. David panics, calling to Quentin. He quickly puts the ledger page in his robe pocket and the ledger itself under his pillow. Barnabas and Julia are at his door. David lies that he didn't answer sooner because he was scared. Barnabas admits it's been an upsetting evening and doesn't want to make it worse, but--what about the ledger you mentioned Braithwaite having when he came to the house? It's important, adds Julia, softening the edge of Barnabas' tone. David asks why--what does it matter if he had a ledger? Someone took it if he had it, says Barnabas. Then I made a mistake, insists David--I saw SOMETHING under his arm. Barn asks if he put it on the desk, but David resolutely refuses to answer. Did you take the ledger? Barnabas asks.
David turns and says, "You're always accusing me!" You put yourself in a position where I have to, points out Barn. I didn't want him to die, says David. Both adults say they know that. Then why are you accusing me? demands David, near tears--I wish I'd never opened the door, I wish I'd gone to Portland to get my father, then you wouldn't think I had anything to do with it! David stands, his voice rising; he shouts, physically struggling with Barnabas, "WELL I DIDN'T, YOU HEAR ME, I DIDN'T!" Barnabas tries to calm the boy down, gently holding his arms, and this is the tableau Roger walks in on. David races to his father. "He thinks I took the book!" blubbers the boy. "He thinks I had something to do with it!" Sobbing, he rushes into his father's embrace. (An amazing performance by Henesy; he is so very good here.) "Father, he hates me. . .he hates me," sobs David. Roger looks sternly at his cousin and asks what all this means. Barnabas looks like he couldn't possibly explain it.

A bit later, after Barnabas explains the situation, David sits at his desk, a tear still glittering in one eye. Roger expresses his sorrow for Braithwaite, a master craftsman--but surely Barnabas and Julia realize how upsetting it was to David? We do, says Barnabas. He and Julia leave Roger alone with David. "All this fuss over an old account book," scoffs Roger, before they leave. "Really, Barnabas, I think your fascination for the past has made you lose a sense of proportion." Barnabas protests, but Roger insists he wants to discuss it later.

Roger assures David he doesn't think he took the book. Roger feels the old man's death unnerved Barnabas for some unexplainable reason. David tells his father he missed him so much! But not enough to meet me at the airport, chides Roger--you were rude to Aunt Liz, says Roger, and it hurt me. David insists, I couldn't come. Roger wants a reason. David tells him much has happened in his absence--I knew you and Aunt Liz would just discuss Vicki and such, boring me. Roger finds "bored" a curious word to be in David's vocabulary at his age. David walks away from his father, preoccupied. Roger apologizes for criticizing him, reaching out to touch David's shoulder. On the plane, I was thinking, says Roger, that the two of us should be better friends, and I hope both of us will make an effort. David refuses to look at him at first; when he does, Roger is shocked to see he's crying. David denies doing so, but Roger gently encourages him to admit it and let me help you--tell me, in your own words, what's really been happening since I left. David says--I know nothing. This disappoints Roger, who, after being rebuffed, tells him, come find me if you change your mind. He leaves David alone in his room. David retrieves the ledger from under his pillow and gazes at the door forlornly, wishing he could get out from under this gigantic burden.

In the drawing room, Liz comments how she hasn't felt the same in this room since the seance, hearing that woman warning them--there's been nothing but trouble since. Handing her a cup of tea, Barnabas asks Liz if he and Julia can examine some family information, including receipts and records--we want to check them out tonight. Liz finds his request odd, at this hour, but figures, hey, why not?--I suppose you have a reason. Barnabas asks to explain the reason afterwards. Liz wants to know what's happening in her own house--I fear something is terribly wrong.
Barnabas says sometimes one can't understand a story until the end comes. And I must accept that? asks Liz. Yes, say Barn and Julia. Liz sighs and asks for an explanation, even if they are proven wrong tonight--I will go get you the keys, but I want to check David first.

Julia asks Barnabas if SHE may know what he's looking for. A letter, perhaps, says Barn--a receipt or bill from the jeweler, a photo, a clue, just a clue. Whoever stopped the old jeweler will stop us, Julia reminds him. Roger comes in and sourly tells Barnabas, "I thought I left you in charge here." Barnabas protests--I can't be blamed for what's happened tonight. You upset David, accuses Roger. David was the last person to see Braithwaite, says Barnabas. All the more reason for you to be gentle with him, insists Roger. Barn asks to be frank--David's anger/hysteria happened because he knows more than he's willing to tell us. Are you accusing David of stealing the ledger? asks Roger. I'm trying to learn what happened to it, says Barn. Roger insists anyone could have come in and taken it when David went up to get you--"Really, Barnabas!" Barn defends himself--I spoke to Maggie, and they didn't leave the room. I wonder if your questioning left THEM in tears, too? asks Roger sarcastically. Of course not, says Barn. Roger accuses him of reading too many bad mystery novels lately--if there is any mystery at all--he points--the ledger was on the desk all the time!--you should have searched the room more carefully before accusing my son. Barnabas pages through the ledger while Julia tries to convince Roger it wasn't there before. How could it get there, asks Roger, did a ghost put it there? (yup!) Barnabas informs them a page is missing. Roger scoffs, irritated by the entire business.

Roger sarcastically asks if David is responsible for the missing page, too. I'm blaming no one--yet, says Barnabas. Are you going on with this farce? demands Roger, pretending there's a crime when none is evident? Liz enters, key in hand. Roger asks if they're off on another interrogation. No, we're not, says Barnabas patiently. Roger insists Barnabas to stay and finish with him; Julia leaves with Liz. Barnabas tells Roger he hasn't time right now to talk, but Roger says it's important--go upstairs and apologize to David! Barnabas protests--you don't know what's happening here! Roger says indeed I do--you are responsible for causing general hysteria among the children, my sister going on about voices and ghosts, due to a seance you should have forbidden, given Liz' condition and all she's been through. Barnabas can't explain. You can undo the harm you've done, says Roger--if you aren't willing to apologize to David, "Then you're no longer welcome in this house!"
Barnabas is shocked at this announcement, and his mouth drops open in disbelief.

Julia and Liz enter a storage room. Liz asks Julia, do you want me to stay with you? No, says Julia. Liz wonders why Julia wants to do this--I'm concerned--Roger thinks nothing is wrong, since he only believes what he sees--he's lucky! Liz leaves Julia alone. It's dark in the room, so she lights a candle and begins looking through old books and albums. She brushes cobwebs from her hair, takes another album and leafs through it. She finds a picture and says, "God! It's impossible! 1897." It's a photo of the same woman who led them to Chris' cottage! Julia heads for the door, which suddenly slams shut, locking her in. The one light in the room goes out, and the windows blow in the wind, letting the lightning into the room. The chandelier sways. "Who is in this room?" demands Julia. "Answer me!" She stands in the dark, staring around, frightened.

NOTES: I know lots of you are Roger fans, but he is behaving like a poop head here. However, those of you who know the story know Roger gets his comeuppance. Excellent performances all around, great to see Rog at his pompous best back in the family fold. Barnabas should have attempted to explain more of what's happening, but for once, Roger is on his son's side, and wants Barn to do the right thing. But Barnabas has more important things to worry about.

Quentin is not a nice ghost! He kills, terrorizes children and even helpless old men!

687 - (Nancy Barrett) - The night is stormy and terrifying, blemished by the evil touch of the long dead. Somewhere in the shadows that engulf the great house of Collinwood, there exists a spirit whose wickedness stains the pages of Collins family history--a man who has returned from the grave, bent upon destruction.

Julia repeatedly demands to know the identity of the presence in the locked room with her, to no avail. Papers fly, winds blow, the chandelier sways, Julia holds her hand in front of her mouth as if warding it off. She asks what it wants of her, again demanding an answer. She begs to be let out of the room, trying the door again. She bangs on it, begging to be let out. Barnabas assures her he's coming. All the ghostly activity in the room stops, just before Barnabas comes in. She explains to him that someone else is in the room. Barnabas says no one is, now. She tells him what happened, how it all started when she found the picture of the woman who led them to Chris' cottage. When they look at the album, to Julia's consternation, the photo has been torn out, gone. Barnabas is shocked.

Chris and Carolyn return from a date, glad they have Collinwood to themselves. Carolyn pours a drink to celebrate the emergence of the "real" Chris Jennings, who didn't look troubled all night. You've been too busy enjoying yourself, she says, to worry about your deep, dark secret. "What secret?" he snaps, then apologizes. She feels she's spoiled the mood. No, I had a great, relaxed time, he says, kissing her hair. She asks why. You know the answer, he says. She, however, wants to be told, and they exchange one of the most passionate kisses we've seen on this show. He holds her. They wish every night could be like tonight--is it possible? Chris doesn't know, but kisses her neck. She feels he has a hang-up, and wants to help him with it. You can't, he says. Carolyn stands and walks away from him--are you married? she asks. He laughs--no, that isn't it. She wonders what's causing the barrier between them--how do you feel about marriage? she asks--no, I'm not proposing, I just want your opinion on the subject--I'd like to know where I stand in terms of the future--If there's no hope, I want to know it now (forward little minx, isn't she?).
Chris assures her he believes in marriage 100% and will be married as soon as he's able. They kiss, gently. He asks to see her tomorrow night; they kiss more forcefully. I'm counting on it, she says, and they're really happy as she leads him to the door. One more smooch, and Chris is gone. (They really seem to enjoy the kissing.) Carolyn gazes at her reflection in the mirror and smiles, then lightly heads upstairs.

Chris' cottage - He arrives home, closing his umbrella against the rain. He's humming, happy. He turns on the lights and suddenly feels the pain of transformation! He is starting to take off his tie, get comfortable. He stares at himself in the mirror, horrified, and clutches a piece of furniture, not knowing what the hell is happening to him.

Barnabas offers Julia some brandy. Sure, she says, that should help. Are you convinced the woman in the photo was the woman we saw the other evening? he asks. I'm certain, she replies--that woman came into my room, wearing the same clothing as in the picture--we're dealing with a ghost, says Julia--too bad that photo disappeared, it would have helped us. The woman wouldn't have taken it away, so the other spirit must have done it, surmises Barnabas. Stokes is convinced spirits are at large in the house, why are they here and what are they after? The phone rings. It's Chris. He begs Barnabas to come over right now--I can't talk, just get here! Barnabas tells Julia something is wrong with Chris. They both leave for the cottage.

Chris' face shakes with pain. He crawls across the cottage floor to look out the window, then drags himself across a chair. Barnabas and Julia come in. Barn helps Chris into a chair. He tells them he's experiencing his pre-transformation pain.
Julia checks him out. Barnabas reminds Chris there's no full moon tonight. Chris grabs Julia's hand, begging her to do something. Barnabas asks how long before the change begins. 15, 20 minutes, says Chris. We will get you to the mausoleum, says Barnabas. Chris doesn't think they can get them there in time. We'll take Julia's car, insists Barnabas, helping Chris to the door--I'll drive you to the tomb. Chris protests that it's too dangerous, but Barnabas tells him to stop arguing and let them go. Both men insist on leaving Julia at the cottage. Julia tosses Chris' coat over his shoulders and closes the door behind them. It's 1:10 AM.

Collinwood - Someone knocks insistently on the door of Collinwood. Carolyn, in night clothes, answers, and her suffuses with joy. "Jeff Clark!" she cries. The man however, isn't Jeff--I'm Ned Stuart, he says brusquely.

[MB NOTE: NO! NO! NO! - He's Back!!]
She comments on how much he resembles someone she knew, who disappeared long ago. He barges in, asking for Chris. Why do you want to see him? she asks. We're old friends from out west, he says--is he here now? She explains that her mother is a Collins, but Chris isn't here--I don't like your questions, nor your searching for "old friends" in the middle of the night. He chides her for suspicion of strangers, an old New England custom. Carolyn says it's often justified. Ned says, I just arrived in town and wanted to see Chris, renew an old acquaintance--I want to wait for him. Carolyn informs him that Chris lives in the caretaker's cottage and is probably asleep. She offers to phone him, but Ned prefers to go there himself. Carolyn gives him directions. He thanks her and leaves, quickly. Carolyn is perturbed. She picks up the phone and dials. Julia starts to answer at the cottage, then decides not to. Carolyn listens impatiently to the ringing phone. Julia, grateful it stopped, sits down. Barnabas returns. We made it to the mausoleum without a moment to spare, he says--Chris did go through the transformation, but he's safely ensconced in the secret room for the night--this latest development makes it impossible for us to work; he could go through the transformation every night now--we have to find an answer, someone. How? asks Julia. Ned knocks at the door, asking for Chris. Barnabas and Julia gaze at him in astonishment, sure he's Jeff Clark. Ned introduces himself. Barnabas tells him Chris left half an hour ago and won't be back for several hours. Ned wants to wait. Barnabas introduces himself and Julia to Ned. Ned asks if she's a psychiatrist. Yes, says Julia. Barnabas explains Chris may be late getting home, and tired--can I help you? No, says Ned. Barnabas suggests he return in the morning. Ned remarks that everyone seems so protective of Chris--like they think I'm going to hurt him. Why are you here? asks Barnabas. I want to talk to him, that's all, says Ned, and tonight--Chris and I are old friends, who have known each other several years--I'm from out west. Chris never mentioned you, says Barnabas. Ned doesn't find this odd--he probably never mentioned my sister, either, who Chris knew much better than he knew me--they were engaged to be married--the engagement was broken when Chris disappeared one night, and my sister was left in no condition to tell me what happened. Julia asks if Ned's sister is dead.
Death would be the logical conclusion, agrees Ned. Barnabas and Julia, suspecting the worst, exchange worried glances. What did Chris do to this man's sister?

NOTES: Never much liked Ned Stuart. I did enjoy Briscoe's performance today, especially in the pain sequences. He really looked like he was hurting! Ned is angry with Chris, perhaps wants to harm him. He believes Chris did something to his sister--did he kill her? Is Ned seeking revenge?

So we have something popping up from Chris' past--he was engaged! Here he's romancing Carolyn, assuring her he's 100 percent FOR marriage, but how can a guy with his little problem (now out of control) become romantically involved with anyone? How does he dare?

Good kisses between Carolyn and Chris. They seem to enjoy their scenes together, didn't they? But again, Chris' future is in jeopardy now. How can Julia and Barnabas not turn him in, under the present circumstances?

Love, Robin

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 10/11/02 - #686/687 -  Ned Stewart Comes to Town
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2002, 01:29:16 AM »
Re: Ned Stewart Comes to Town

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 10/11/02 - #686/687 -  Ned Stewart Comes to Town
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2002, 04:27:28 AM »
Re: Ned Stewart Comes to Town

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midnite,

Sounds like you are having a bad gastronomic attack...[puke]
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

DVD

Re: Robservations 10/11/02 - #686/687 - Ned Stewart Comes to Town
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 11:21:31 PM »
DVD episodes for September 10th and 13th.
The 1st and 2nd episodes on Set#12/Disc#4 (1st and 2nd episodes on MPI tape Volume #91)

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 06:58:47 AM »
Naturally, Nancy Barrett enjoyed her scenes in today's episode, what with the fabulous Briscoe tongue making its long-awaited reappearance. Has anyone asked Ms. Barrett at the conventions if Don Briscoe was the best kisser of her male co-stars?
But in the context of the story, poor Chris & Carolyn: so hot as a couple, yet so doomed to never be.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 07:49:30 PM »
But in the context of the story, poor Chris & Carolyn: so hot as a couple, yet so doomed to never be.

Well, There's always fanfic dear...   ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*