Author Topic: Salem Witchcraft and Parker's Novel  (Read 830 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Salem Witchcraft and Parker's Novel
« on: February 06, 2002, 12:28:48 AM »
Originally posted by Vlad on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 05, 2002 at 18:28:48:

About a year ago (by my best guess), we had a discussion on this board (I think I probably started it) about Lara Parker's intention to use the historical events at Salem as part of her next Dark Shadows novel. (We know that she is working on this novel, and that there are plans for it to be published by Tor Books).

In published remarks, Ms. Parker talked about Barnabas 'tripping' and about hallucinations leading to the witchcraft craze, based on a theory that the Salem incident was caused by a reaction to the ergot fungus on rye. I vehemently expressed my view that this theory was a lot of balderdash and hoped that Parker would change her mind about using it. One of my main objections was that the Salem case was just one case in the history of New England witch crazes, and those in America were a drop in the bucket of witch crazes spanning centuries in Europe. It seemed unlikely that this ergot fungus being present in bread would just happen to be the culprit on two contents and spanning hundreds of years, and always resulting in accusations of witchcraft.

Although I still have reservations about that theory, I'm not quite so ready to dismiss it after seeing a program on PBS's "Secrets of the Dead" series last week. The show was originally aired last season, though I had missed it then (and wasn't too concerned about having missed it since I knew it was promoting this theory). Well, anyway, this time I watched the show and I have to say that it was fascinating and that they presented a strong case. The psychologist who proposed the theory did a lot of research into diaries and other sources at the time and found a lot of references to people having strange hallucinations, etc. What's more, evidence of this fungus contamination was then found in Europe, answering one of my objections.

Although I'm not ready to eat my hat -- there were many gaps and inconsistencies that were not addressed in this program, and it's certainly not the last word on the subject -- I do want to express that I am more open-minded about the theory and the possibility of Ms. Parker using it in her novel.

- Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Salem Witchcraft and Parker's Novel
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2002, 01:10:58 AM »
Posted by VAM on February 05, 2002 at 19:10:58:
In Reply to: Salem Witchcraft and Parker's Novel posted by Vlad on February 05, 2002 at 18:28:48:

I saw a TV documentary covering this theory. A woman did a lot of research and answered some questions to prove her findings down to the smallest detail concerning the weather. Let me put it this way, you came away beleiving the theory. I am not quite sure but my guess is that it was her thesis.
Looking forward to seeing what direction Ms. Parker takes in her novel!-VAM
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2002, 03:14:20 PM »
Posted by Happybat on February 06, 2002 at 09:14:20:
In Reply to: Salem Witchcraft and Parker's Novel posted by Vlad on February 05, 2002 at 18:28:48:

Although I'm not ready to eat my hat -- there were many gaps and inconsistencies that were not addressed in this program, and it's certainly not the last word on the subject -- I do want to express that I am more open-minded about the theory and the possibility of Ms. Parker using it in her novel.

Hi Vlad!

Yes, I saw much of that same documentary, too. They do make a fairly convincing case, although possibly other experts might disagree with that. I wonder if you or anyone else on this list saw the ca. 1985 PBS dramatization of the Salem trials, starring none other than Vanessa Redgrave as Goody Nurse (?) who survived the trials and was monetarily "compensated" for her ordeal with a stipend of a few sovereigns. I haven't seen this program in years now; I think it was called either "Three ..." or "Five Sovereigns for Sarah". It was quite fascinating and advanced an entirely different and perhaps more sinister theory as to the witchcraft hysteria: a struggle for land. After the accused had been hanged, I guess the theory was that their land would go to greedy neighbors and maybe even relatives. However, I'm not sure how convincing this argument is by comparison as it doesn't really account for the hysterical behavior of the young girls. On the whole, I think the ergot theory is a more convincing one. Although who is to say that the hysteria might not have had more than a single cause?
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2002, 01:34:31 AM »
Posted by Vlad on February 06, 2002 at 19:34:31:
In Reply to: Re: Salem Witchcraft and Parker's Novel posted by VAM on February 05, 2002 at 19:10:58:

Let me put it this way, you came away beleiving the theory. I am not quite sure but my guess is that it was her thesis.
Looking forward to seeing what direction Ms. Parker takes in her novel!

VAM,

Not to beat the topic to death, but I did NOT say I believed the theory. I just said I had a more open mind about it than I had before. I did not have time to elaborate on what I see as the "gaps and inconsistencies" that I mentioned, which do not allow me to embrace the theory at this point.

The show did not provide a forum for other scholars who may disagree with this woman's theory about the ergot fungus. :(

My main reason for posting this was because I felt I may have come down rather hard on Lara Parker when I posted about this a year ago. :)

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2002, 11:35:30 AM »
Posted by VAM on February 07, 2002 at 05:35:30:
In Reply to: Re: Salem Witchcraft and Parker's Novel posted by Vlad on February 06, 2002 at 19:34:31:

Knowing Ms. Parker's prolific pen, I think whatever she comes up with it will be an interesting spin.-VAM
It is a good day because I am still ticking!