Author Topic: Chicken Little Was Right!  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Chicken Little Was Right!
« on: October 09, 2002, 05:35:13 AM »
Today's first episode was the scariest one I remember in a long time ... I actually jumped in the last scene when Maggie opened the storeroom door!  (Can't wait to view the second episode later tonight -- it's such a thrill having three weeks' worth of episodes I've never seen!)

I wish I could make out better what some of the knick-knacks are in David's room. For the last couple of days I've been seeing something that says "Chicken Little Was Right."  Any ideas as to what this is?  There's something that used to be on the wall, an orange drawing, that may be on the dresser now, that looks like a picture of "Garfield" (the cat).  Don't think that's possible, though.  And is that the crystal ball on a bedside table?
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Little Was Right!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 10:52:58 AM »
Hi Vlad,  That's funny you should mention this because the other day I was also trying to figure out what the heck David has there in his room.  I didn't notice the Chicken Little drawing but I also thought that the other picture may have been Garfield, but thought to myself, Naa, that can't be, I don't think Garfield was around back then, was he?

I did happen to notice that he has some kind of miniture car collection up there on what appears to be a book shelf of some kind. And yes, I believe that is a crystal ball that David has there on the table. I think Burke may have given it to him sometime ago.

You know what I find strange is that David has everything that a kid from a wealthy family would probably have except a TV!  Come to think of it though, I have yet to see a Television set anywhere on the show.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 12:55:38 PM »
You know what I find strange is that David has everything that a kid from a wealthy family would probably have except a TV!  Come to think of it though, I have yet to see a Television set anywhere on the show.

They seem to do a good job of entertaining each other.;D
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 04:18:53 PM »
I wish I could make out better what some of the knick-knacks are in David's room. For the last couple of days I've been seeing something that says "Chicken Little Was Right."  Any ideas as to what this is?

No idea if this is related, but The Turtles released a single in 1967 whose B-side was "Chicken Little Was Right."

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2002, 09:06:58 PM »
Come to think of it though, I have yet to see a Television set anywhere on the show.

The only time we ever see a television set on Dark Shadows is in 1970 Parallel Time. Buffy Harrington has one in her boarding room.

RE: David's ornaments - notice the toy robot that was sitting on his bedside table. We saw this robot in the very early pre-Barnabas episodes when David was still a wee lad. (It's amazing how much he's grown since the start of the series.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2002, 09:29:47 PM »
You can see a TV in Stuart Bronson's hotel room, too, when Burke went to meet with him.

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2002, 11:52:04 PM »
As rich as the Collin's family were, it's sad to see only a few toys scattered here and there in David's room.

The "Chicken Little" item looks like one of those "Rub On's" that were popular back then.  You would rub on various characters to a stiff piece of cardboard,  and they would come with various phrases.  I had a Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In one.  As for the posters on David's wall, I can tell you exactly what they are. They are not Garfield, but are Rock and Roll Fillmore West Posters from 1967.  At that time, Bill Graham ran two Rock clubs on the west and east coast.  Those Rock posters are highly collectable today.  I have reproductions on both of those posters that David has in his room.  Some of the groups featured on them were, Cream, Paul Butterfield Blues Band and others.  What in the world David is doing with them, I haven't a clue!!  I guess Sy Thomasoff thought they looked kind of spooky with one depicting a wizard, so he thought they would be perfect for David.

In 1967, David had the Major Matt Mason Space Station in his room as well.  

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2002, 01:37:10 AM »
I've always noticed that David's room looks really bare.  Hardly any books, or anything.  Besides TVs, they also don't seem to be fond of any animals.  Except, of course, when Roger was a cat!  latisha

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2002, 05:41:46 AM »
At the end of yesterday's second episode (the scene must have been David's room, but I can't remember what the scene was about) you could see that "Garfield" picture I was talking about -- it looks like a drawing of a big, orange cat. It's framed and hanging high on the wall to the left of David's bed.

I'm assuming, then, that this is the "Rock and Roll Fillmore West" poster that doombuggy mentions, though it's still unclear to me if this depicts a big cat.

Well, I may have to eat my words from a month or two ago when I voiced my doubts that David's room is located in the tower.  MB, I think, stated that David's room is the second floor of the tower.  Today's opening shot of the tower, then shot to David's room, did imply that.  The windows do look the same and the walls of David's room do appear to be curved.

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2002, 07:56:47 AM »
One of the strange 1967 Rock posters hanging in David's room, can be seen at this website that I found!  I will look for the other one.

http://www.dking-gallery.com/posters/sale/BG/-79.html

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2002, 08:06:20 AM »
I found it!  Here is the other 1967 Fillmore rock poster that David has in his bedroom.  This one always spooked my out. I always thought it was a picture of Quentin.

http://www.dreamscape.com/posters/posters/bg-080.jpg

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2002, 05:18:49 AM »
Interesting how you tracked those posters down, doombuggy. The second one looks familiar.

Still would like to know about the "Garfield" painting in the frame, though.

I had never heard of "rubons" -- don't remember those from my youth -- or "The Turtles," for that matter!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2002, 10:06:00 AM »
I had never heard of "rubons" -- don't remember those from my youth --or "The Turtles," for that matter!

Vlad, "The Turtles" were a popular group back in the 60's. They had hits such as "Happy Together" "She'd Rather Be With Me" and "Elenore."

Maybe this will ring a bell.

"Imagine me and you, I do,
 I think about you day and night,
 it's only right,
 to think about
 the girl you love,
 and hold her tight,
 so Happy together."

:-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2002, 10:39:31 AM »
Vlad, "The Turtles" were a popular group back in the 60's.

Maybe this will ring a bell.

"Imagine me and you, I do,
 I think about you day and night,
 it's only right,
 to think about
 the girl you love,
 and hold her tight,
 so Happy together."

:-)

Sure does Cassandra-You got me singing it!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2002, 02:31:02 PM »
First the Moody Blues.....now the Turtles.

I think we need a new board just for dicussing rock bands that made music during the run of Dark Shadows.

Rainey....who misses Ringo Collins and wonders if he's coming to NYC with Cher next week?

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas