Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1166  (Read 1195 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1166
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1166
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »
I think someone was "corpsing" John Karlen on the set, if that's what it's called,  just before they cut to Desmond talking to Q1 at the cell, trying to make him laugh on-camera.... JK is smiling very strangely, when he shouldn't be smiling at all.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
What are we supposed to make of Daphne's declaration that Samantha isn't capable of love?  We know it's not true.  Samantha loved both of her siblings, and she loves her son.  But Daphne is the heroine,  right?  Come to think of it, Daphne and Samantha have something in common: both loved their siblings.  How very un-Collinslike of them!

Judge Vail is starting to be very distracting.  I wish he would keep his head still.  I have never actually looked at a bobblehead doll in the flesh (or the plastic) but if bobbleheads have heads that bobble, then I imagine that Judge Vail does a passable imitation of one.

On and on with Daphne's dreams of Gerard.  Back in the Leviathan storyline, Carolyn's sequential dreams were very interesting.  Sadly, they led nowhere.  Daphne's dreams, although headed in a different direction, are the same idea, but they just annoy me.  I'm wondering what could be done to make them as interesting as Carolyn's dreams were, but I'm not coming up with anything.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:30:32 PM »
Interesting trivia on John Beal, who plays Judge Vail.  In 1964 he was hired to play lead character Jim Matthews on Another World and was fired after the first episode.

It would be interesting to see if there is a video of that episode somewhere and see what caused that to happen so suddenly.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »
And so the trial wears on. It was nice to see Quentin's smile of loving pride when Daphne refuses to testify against him, but he was probably making another mistake. Too bad Desmond still hasn't gotten him to see the light.

Daphne's declaration that Samantha is incapable of love: Well, they were in the middle of a good, old-fashioned cat fight, so Daphne may have just been speaking in the heat of the moment. Daphne may be the heroine, but Samantha isn't an outright villain.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
I know Lydia you see Samantha in a relatively positive light, but from my viewings, that statement about her being incapable of love strikes me as being right.  That's always the impression I've had of her from the start every time I watch 1840, with the possible exception of the first Samantha scene in the playroom while Julia watches.   The picture I get is of someone who has attachments, sometimes fierce ones, but who is cold, and is motivated (not consciously) by the need to hold on to what's hers: children, marriage (divorce was seen as shameful and definitely a huge loss of status).

All people have a healthy human core in them somewhere that can love others, and we may see some of that with her and Gerard (in happier days), but there's also a lot of self-love involved there too, I think.   I get the impression that for some people, as far as love goes, they're in it for the flattery from the other party.   Gerard could tell, and laid it on thickly.   

I try to imagine some sort of genuinely warm moment between Tad and Samantha, and I can't.   Her declarations of great love and devotion for her Tad sound to me like "drama", and a sort of feminine equivalent to male macho bravado.   While a male might brag about battlefield, sports, or bedroom conquests out of male insecurity, perhaps a female might shout about her nurturing soul and devotion to children, and rail as publicly as possible against her child's perceived enemies (like a conveniently warlock-ish husband), because of her own gender insecurity.   Maybe she does love Tad somewhere deep inside, but she's cold on the surface, and of course, the societal requirement is that females be "nurturing" and warm.

These are just my impressions.   Lydia or anyone could point out one fact I'd overlooked till now, and it could all come crashing down.

By the way Lydia, did I steal my idea about everything from the start of 1995 on being a separate reality disconnected from Regular Time from you?   I think I probably did.   Then I acted as if it was some brainstorm of mine...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:09:49 AM »
I know Lydia you see Samantha in a relatively positive light, but from my viewings, that statement about her being incapable of love strikes me as being right.
Magnus, when Samantha found Roxanne wounded out on the terrace, she was devastated.  I believe that Samantha truly loved her sister.

But I must add that, despite my efforts to be fair, I dislike Samantha.  I dislike her name.  I dislike her hair (although I think it's reasonably correct for the time period).  I dislike the style of dress she wears (can't say as to its period correctness).  I dislike her smooth, opaque face.  I dislike her unmusical voice.  I dislike the sniffy way she talks when she's angry.  And I dislike Samantha herself.  I understand that the role of Samantha was originally intended for Kathryn Leigh Scott, and so, I figure, Samantha was a reasonably sympathetic character in the beginning, but after the writers got a good look at Virginia Vestoff, they took away Samantha's heart.  What's particularly frustrating to me is my belief that Samantha would never have been written this way if KLS had stuck around.  I would have loved to see KLS playing this Samantha, making me ecstatically torn between KLS’s niceness versus Samantha's meanness!  But even if Samantha had been written differently for KLS, I would have loved to see a struggle between the KLS character, who played Quentin's true love in 1970 parallel time, and the latest ingenue playing Quentin's true love in 1840.  That didn't happen, however, and instead we got Virginia Vestoff’s Samantha, whom I dislike.

By the way Lydia, did I steal my idea about everything from the start of 1995 on being a separate reality disconnected from Regular Time from you?   I think I probably did.   Then I acted as if it was some brainstorm of mine...
I think you derived your idea from something different that I said, which was derived from something somebody else said.  I've gotten enough interesting ideas that you never intended from your posts so that I'm pleased to know it's a two-way street.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:35 AM »
I've gotten enough interesting ideas that you never intended from your posts so that I'm pleased to know it's a two-way street.

A chuckle, interesting, thanks... I think... I seem to remember something from you about everything after B&J exited the parallel-time room from 1970PT being in another timeline from RT.  I can't remember exactly what "timeline" meant in that context.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
Very interesting perspectives on the character Samantha.  Samantha happens to be one of my favorite things about 1840, in part because she can be such an unpleasant character.  Her history ought to make her sympathetic--she's trapped in a loveless marriage to one husband who cheated on her and is still hung up on the other husband who used her, and being a woman of privilege doesn't bring her peace of mind--but her bitterness is strong enough to nearly overwhelm any warmth the audience might have for her. Nevertheless, Virginia Vestoff can still make me believe that Samantha behaves vindictively because she is a wounded rather than a wicked woman (something I never was able to believe about Angelique).  I think she's incredibly watchable even when she's plotting against the protagonist.  Samantha is different from the majority of the female characters on the show in that she's neither sweet nor openly villainous, and I love that.

The picture I get is of someone who has attachments, sometimes fierce ones, but who is cold, and is motivated (not consciously) by the need to hold on to what's hers: children, marriage (divorce was seen as shameful and definitely a huge loss of status)...

I try to imagine some sort of genuinely warm moment between Tad and Samantha, and I can't.   Her declarations of great love and devotion for her Tad sound to me like "drama", and a sort of feminine equivalent to male macho bravado.

Personally, I don't think she's inherently cold; I see that as stemming from her years spent in the hostile environment of Collinwood.  As for her doting on Tad, I do agree that her affection seems excessive, but I don't believe Samantha is grand-standing.  Edith's summation sounds right to me: Samantha became fixated on Tad because she didn't have anything else in her life to enjoy.

ProfStokes