Author Topic: Amazon book / was: Re: Austin Live Theatre: Fan-Produced DS webseries ...  (Read 4247 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
There's even a new DS book out with a front cover in the style of the classic Marilyn Ross books, You can even get it for your Kindle at Amazon. I don't know if it's any good but the point is that no one has stopped it. It's called "To Live Again: A Dark Shadows Novel" by Emily Hornaday. It looks like you can only get it for the kindle.

Why would they allow a new novel that is being sold, not given away, but not allow something that is free?

May you die before you want too.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Amazon book / was: Re: Austin Live Theatre: Fan-Produced DS webseries ...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »
I doubt that THE POWERS THAT BE...and not the ones that Angel Investigations works for...are aware of it. I bought the book and backed it up on my computer. I'm not turning on my Kindle's net functions until I read it. I doubt that Amazon will delete it from my Kindle. They did that with the Orwell books a while back and got smacked in the face with customer backlash. I'm not taking any chances though. Once I finish reading it, if I enjoy it, I'm going to see about converting it to PDF so that I can print it up. I'm told it's complicated but possible to do that.  And yes, I'm well aware that I almost certainly broke copyright laws by buying this book. My defense, publish new, authorized DS books and I'll buy them!  No money was lost on this. I almost never buy illegal, bootleg DVDs, but I'll make an exception for Depp's DS, if it's as good as I expect it to be.  I'll see it several times at the theater. I'll see it again once or twice at the second run theater. I'll also buy the movie when it comes out, whether or not I already have an illicit copy.  I'll buy a director's cut as well, if they put enough goodies on it.  The bootleg will just hold me over. When it comes to DS, I'm not very patient!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:35:18 AM »
I would say that you're not very honest either but you just told us that, didn't you.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 03:04:03 AM »
I suppose it depends on how you define honesty. I'm known for keeping my word. I generally call them as I see them, and I have little regard for corporate America. I have nothing against making an honest profit, but I have seen all to clearly who coporations and big business exploit and degrade artists. I won't give a name, but I have a friend who receives no royalties from her records she worked on in the 80s.   Her work has been issued, reissued, remastered, compiled etc etc. Corporations make big dollars on artistic works and often pay the artist very little by having them sign deceptive contracts and using creative accounting.  She wholeheartedly approves the bootlegging of her own works. 

I have bought Fleetwood Mac's Rumours on LP, 8 Track, cassette, CD, DVD audio, and the double CD. Warner Reprise executives were concerned recently that people are "stealing from them" by "ripping MP3s of their CDs for their IPods."  Mick and Co. made their fortune from that record and the Warner Reprise fatcats are still milking it. Now they want to tell me that I can't use my own CD in any way I wish? It's this kind of greed that leads people to rip them off.
On the whole, I abhor bootlegging movies. I buy them very rarely, and I ALWAYS buy the professonal DVD when it comes out. I've probably bought 3 in the last 5 years. Star Trek was the last one. I have the DVD of the film. I think Hollywood will survive if I ONLY watch it 3 times, drag a group of 5 to it, see it in the 2nd run theater,  and buy the DVD.

Ask around fandom about me. I think  you will hear that I'm generous and my word is good.  The name is Joe Escobar.  If you want to label me dishonest, I can live with that. The opinion of a stranger means little to me when I have the good opinions of friends I've made over the last 30 years. Post whatever you want in answer to this, I've said all that I plan to say about this.  If you want to discuss a campaign to save the Web Series, that's a different story.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:57 AM »
I want to apologize for offending you. I was wrong for suggesting that you are not honest. I have recorded CDs for my ipod and copied movies from TV. So the facts are that if you are not honest neither am I. I guess I took your post the wrong way but that doesn't matter. I should never have posted what I did. Again, I apologize with all my heart.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:27:21 AM »
I accept your apology Borgosi and also the possibility that I've been rationalizing some things that are less than honest. Mysterious Benefactor did point out that bootleggers would not exist without customers. If all of them were as willing to buy as I am, there wouldn't be much of a problem. Most are not. They buy these items instead of purchasing tickets and/or renting the film. They don't pay their way and everyone else suffers. Now, that may affect my decision whether or not to be patient with regard to owning the film, but I stand by my right to use and copy my own materials for my own use. This thread has been enlightening.

Thank you for resonding as graciously as you did.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
As for the novel on Amazon, do we know that it's not sanctioned? Just because there wasn't any fanfare before it appeared on Amazon may not necessarily mean that it isn't legit. After all, the soundtrack to the '91 Series was released last summer without any fanfare whatsoever. And I'd like to think that places like Amazon don't deal in materials that could be seen as copyright infringements. But who knows...

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »
I don't know for a fact that it's not sanctioned. You are correct MB; when I heard about the 91 soundtrack, I wondered if it was a "fan project" or bootleg. I was accustomed to hearing about projects in advance. It could be legit.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
There's also the fact that Amazon is saying the release is 'the first in a series of novels by Emily J. Hornaday based on ABC-TV’s classic gothic soap opera — “DARK SHADOWS.”' If the novel isn't legit, it would certainly appear to be more than a bit audacious for Amazon to have the policy that they know the first novel infringes on DS' copyright but they're just going to continue to be an outlet for the author to infringe on that copyright over and over again. Seems extremely odd if that really is the case...

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 06:50:57 PM »
MB, you are right about it seeming audacious. The only thing that gave me pause, and still does, was the sloppiness they exhibited with the Orwell debacle. They took someone at their word that the works could be distributed because they were in the public domain. One would hope they would learn from the past, but I've found that entities that can be hoodwinked once can be fooled again.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »
Well, one thing's for sure - it's going to be very interesting to see how everything associated with the novel plays out. And if Amazon really wasn't smart enough to check after having been burned in the past, the arm of the company responsible for verifying such things would seem to be run by a bunch of dumbasses...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon book / was: Re: Austin Live Theatre: Fan-Produced DS webseries ...
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 08:25:43 PM »
That story is fan fiction, and the difference from other works being sold by fans is that it's in ebook form.  What's fascinating is that Amazon is selling it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Extremely fascinating.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »
Well, I guess the question is, what is fanfiction? Once it's being sold in book stores, is it still fanfiction? Stephen King is a Dark Shadows fan, if he wrote a DS book would it be fanfiction? When does "fanfiction" become fiction?

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:18 PM »
When does "fanfiction" become fiction?

I guess when the people in charge of the property, that its based on, back it up. (Like with Lara Parker's novels or 'Dreams of the Dark')