Author Topic: Lara Parker's teaching career  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Lara Parker's teaching career
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 01:43:43 AM »
Roger Davis told me he taught also. One assignment he gave involved his taking off his shoe and placing it on the podium. He told his students to write about it.  I wonder what it would have been like to be in his class!!!

Well if there was a hole on the top, we could all write about how it arrived there.."one day an actress, p*ssed off by a young actor, ground her high heel into the top of a shoe as a camera ran...bringing tears to the eyes of the hapless young man~~"
Julia99

David

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 11:02:19 PM »
Maybe Roger was teaching a course about foot fetishism!

David

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 04:15:51 AM »
 [snow_bigglass]
Then again, like any good teacher, Roger was trying to keep his students on their toes!

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 02:01:05 AM »
I wonder if Parker ever gives the Angelique angry eyes when someone messes up in her class.  I can just see her starting to chant as she glares at the student.......with a pin poised at their paper.......   [snow_scream]

and then that haunting laugh.......

okay, i'm done.  thanks for indulging me! gotta love Angelique!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
I doubt she does any of that, but it would be hilarious if she did - especially being poised with a pin at a student's paper!  [lghy]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 03:00:05 AM »
i was once on the receiving end of the angelique glare...chills!

at my first fest(brooklyn '03)lara was seated next to nancy barrett in the autograph line. at the time i had only seen the first year and a half or so(i was just beginning the barnabas episodes)so i hadn't gotten to lara's part of the series yet. i told her i hadn't yet seen her work on the show but would still like her autograph...

WELL. la parker was NOT amused. she coolly signed the program but treated me to the aforementioned glare. i'll never forget it. [snow_scream]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 05:15:26 AM »
i hadn't gotten to lara's part of the series yet. i told her i hadn't yet seen her work on the show but would still like her autograph...WELL. lara parker was NOT amused. she coolly signed the program but treated me to the aforementioned glare. i'll never forget it. [snow_scream]

Well, I'm sorry, but that just sounds rude. So you hadn't seen her portion of the show yet?  Big deal.  You were a new fan who happened onto the show just before your first Festival. Donna Wandrey and James Storm were gracious enough to show up at events for years before most people knew who they were. When I met Donna, I'd only heard her on some tapes of scattered episodes of 1840 and read about Roxanne in Kathy Resch's book Paradox. Donna could not have been nicer. I think it took some nerve for her to treat you like that. Yes, I've idolized her for years, and I still have great respect and awe for her, but  I at this moment I have to be honest.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
to be honest, i'd have been a little taken aback by that, but then as i continued watching i'd have probably been honored that she gave me "the look"!

i have always said that i loved how she broke the 4th wall with her glares and bemused expressions as if we were in on the joke.  pretty much brilliant acting tecnique for an afternoon soap on her part, eh?   

true, MB, i don't think she'd have done that in class, but it would have been cool.  you get so used to seeing these people as their characters, that you don't know how they are in real life. 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »
yeah i certainly don't hold it against lara.

in retrospect i think it's funny. it is something of an honor to have been given "the look".

my first introduction to diana millay was just as weird. [snow_shocked]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:51 PM »
Well, I'm not saying I'd hold it against her either, not in the long term. It's the sort of thing that would probably tick me off, and then I'd get over it. It wouldn't be worth holding a grudge over.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 04:05:06 AM »
With all due respect, I can remember a couple of times when Lara was "breaking the fourth wall" because she was clearly searching for the TelePrompTer.

An entirely honorable occupation on our series, of course...

G.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »
true, but i am talking about how she ended a dramatic scenes and looked into the camera.  most of the cast did look for their elusive friend, and most learned how to incorporate it into the act.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 04:36:45 AM »
i know what you mean and it's a trick that really only angelique employed on the series.

one scene that comes to mind is when "cassandra" first meets maggie evans and decides that she shall initiate the dream curse through her.

staring up at barnabas' portrait she announces that the "dream shall begin with one who looks like josette"...then breaking the fourth wall completely and addressing the viewer directly..."nothing could be more appropriate, could it?".

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »
All I can say is even if you are annoyed or having a bad day. You should always treat the fans as if they are gold. DS survives on it fandom. Lara and all the others should bless their luck that they were able to be on the show and still make money with the connection to it. Even JF, in his later years have been able to make some money and that may have made his later financial years easier, maybe?

There are many actors and musicians, that would love to have fans that follow them and support them. If your main purpose at a festival is to meet with the fans, you should do it with a smile, now I am off of my soap box.

As to the teaching job, and working with students, you have to be really careful.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate