Author Topic: Yet Another New Slideshow  (Read 21874 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another New Slideshow
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]Ep #1 (Extended)- Roger: 'I think you'll find my son as much a challenge as you can handle.'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]Victoria, Elizabeth and Carolyn are having tea in the drawing room when Victoria asks about David. Elizabeth explains that she brought him back from England when his mother took ill and it's been hard on him. She calls David a bright boy with an amazing imagination, to which Carolyn remarks only if putting garter snakes in her dresser is imaginative. Roger enters and he and Victoria are introduced. Her compliment of Collinwood prompts Roger to explain that Elizabeth always had a gift for maintaining the house in the grand manner. Elizabeth feels that style should be the dress of thought and that it tempers life with grace. Roger and Carolyn exchange knowing glances and Victoria agrees with a polite smile. She then changes the subject by asking if a painting on an easel is a Seurat. Elizabeth says it's a copy and is about to say who painted it when Roger interrupts. Victoria inspects the painting more closely and declares that it's very good. Roger asks if she enjoys art, and she answers that it's one of her favorite subjects to teach and that she believes children express themselves very well through drawing and painting. Roger practically rolls his eyes at that response and says he supposes she gets to know them better. But when Victoria says the challenge of it is to have the children get to know themselves, that seems to impress him. Roger then delivers the quoted line and follows it by remarking that he's certain David is different from any boy she has taught. He then excuses himself for the night. Elizabeth is somewhat embarrassed, but Carolyn smirks.[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 06:59:46 AM »
What a cool scene.  Thanks, MB.

G.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:13:01 AM »
UGH! They should not have cut that scene from the dvd! It has some much characterization in it, especially from Roger and Victoria.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
I couldn't agree more - it's a wonderful scene and it should never have been cut from the pilot. But alas. And apparently Domino's and their sponsorship of the miniseries was more important to NBC than fleshing out characters.  [snow_rolleyes]

There is also a bit at the very beginning the scene that I didn't include because there seems to be some question about how accurate it is so I wanted to get into it more closely this morning (instead of when I'm half asleep (and liable to make typos, which I obviously did last night anyway [snow_embarrassed] - but they're fixed now [snow_smiley])). The first thing Victoria asks is how long David has been without his father - and to that Elizabeth responds for almost six years. The SHADOWS IN THE '90s" The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991 believes that was an error in the script and Victoria should have been asking about David's mother. And that does make some sense. However, after having rewatched the pilot for this slideshow, I'm not so sure it was an error. It's implied in the first scene between Elizabeth and Roger that Roger wasn't a part of David's life for an extended period of time. And when Mrs. Johnson is reprimanding her nephew for making his own life difficult (i.e. neglecting his duties and incurring Roger's wrath), Willie remarks that everything was fine until Roger came to Collinwood. All of that would seem to imply that Roger has recently returned to Collinwood - and that would make Victoria's question and Elizabeth's response perfectly plausible and not in error.

It's also a shame that some scenes that were shot weren't included in the pilot at all. One such scene occurred right after the scene between Joe and Daphne in his car and it helped to establish the relationship that Victoria and Willie share later on. As Willie is driving his truck along the road. Willie glances at Victoria, giving her a long once-over. He remarks about how cold out it is. She looks at him and holds her look as he leans over and punches open the glove compartment. Taking out a pint of Wild Turkey, he unscrews the cap, slugs at it, then offers it to her. Victoria declines. He smiles, takes another, longer belt and wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve. Willie then remarks that Collinsport's a dump! Victoria doesn't respond. He goes on to say that it's full of creeps, like Loverboy, then also adds that Collinwood isn't any better. It's a case of small town, small minds, and he grins. Victoria says that she hasn't really seen enough of it to say. Willie assets that she will - and if anybody gives her any hassle and she need somebody to set them straight, he's the guy. Victoria pauses a beat, concludes that humor is the best policy, and nods. Willie smiles, glad that he's making headway. The truck then turns into the long driveway to Collinwood.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 02:58:35 AM »
I find myself wondering whether any of these restored scenes from the MPI VHS feature Barbara Steele.  That may really drive me to rush to the Net to see if I can dig up a copy of that tape without spending a fortune...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 01:02:08 AM »
Everything that was shot with Barbara Steele/Julia for the pilot was used in the pilot. However, I don't honestly remember if any Julia/Natalie stuff was added to the extended version of the finale. I haven't watched it in a long time. But we shall see when it comes up in the slideshow in December...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 04:17:46 AM »
I just realized that the January 12th capture/quote for this slideshow and for the Movies Quotes Slideshow both feature a scene of Willie at the mausoleum reciting parts of the poem that leads him to Barnabas' coffin (though it's too bad the hoDS bit was trimmed from the film):

Ep #1 - Willie: 'Lion looks at dove.'

hoDS: Scene #23 - Willie (Off Screen): 'And in the womb
beneath the hill, A secret flame glows bright and still.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 06:03:18 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]Ep #1 (Extended)- Victoria: 'I thought I saw someone.'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]As Victoria unpacks in her bedroom, Carolyn enters with blankets, saying it gets cold at night. She explains that the fireplace works and describes the bathroom as big enough for a battalion. Victoria thanks her and then adds that she can't wait to meet David. Carolyn jokingly tells her that, yes, she can. Victoria hopes David will like her, to which Carolyn remarks that he will or he'll have to answer to her. Carolyn then adds that she's really glad Victoria is there. Victoria says so is she. Breaking the moment an animal howls, and Victoria asks what it was. Again jokingly, Carolyn goes on about the strange creatures of the Maine woods, and that when the moon is full and the wolfbane blooms, they come down from the mountains out of the cold. And to cap all that off she then howls like a wolf. They laugh, but when a dog barks and Victoria looks out the window, she sees a tall figure in old-fashioned clothes standing in the fog. She tells Carolyn that someone is standing at the edge of the wood. Carolyn checks but the man is gone. A bit embarrassed, Victoria then delivers the quoted line. Carolyn remarks that they're in the boonies - and Collinwood can have that kind of effect. She then adds that Victoria must be tired and suggests she take a bath and rest, and sounding very sincere, before leaving Carolyn adds that if Victoria needs anything, she need only call.  Alone, Vicki looks out of the window again. She nods her head like she must have imagined it.[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 06:40:10 AM »
My God!  an actual reference to *gasp* a ... a... a .... BATHROOM at ... COLLINWOOD?

*clutches throat, puts up other hand in dramatic gesture of avoidance*'

It ... can't be!

Oh... thank God ... it was CUT.  Whew!

H.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
Ah, but the scene immediately following that one - and one that appears in all versions of the pilot - actually takes place in a bathroom: when David scares Victoria when she pulls back the shower curtain.  [wink2]  So, here are three captures: Victoria about to pull back the shower curtain - a glimpse of David - and then David scaring her silly. Enjoy!  [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 03:00:00 AM »
HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY!!
[occasion16]

[occasion13]

[occasion18]

[occasion16]

[occasion13]

[occasion18]

[occasion16]

[occasion13]

[occasion18]

[occasion16]

[occasion13]

[occasion18]

[occasion16]

[occasion13]

[occasion18]

[occasion16]

[occasion13]
[occasion18]

[occasion13]

[occasion16]

[occasion18]

[occasion13]

[occasion16]

[occasion18]

[occasion13]

[occasion16]

[occasion18]

[occasion13]

[occasion16]

[occasion18]

[occasion13]

[occasion16]

[occasion18]

[occasion13]

The '91 DS Series premiered in the Eastern and Central time
zone regions of the US at exactly this time 20 years ago!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 04:11:59 AM »
Considering that nowadays most of us probably associate Joseph Gordon-Levitt with his more recent body of work, it's funny to look at today's capture and to remember that he was ever that young:

Though we all were.  :D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]Ep #1 (Extended)- Elizabeth: 'What kind of person could do such a thing?'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]As rain pours down, Sheriff Patterson drives up the driveway of Collinwood. After entering he tells Roger and Elizabeth that he's looking for Willie Loomis, who was acting strangely at the Blue Whale the previous night. After an introduction to Vicki, Patterson says she must have witnessed Willie almost taking a swing at Joe Haskell, but she tells him that nothing really happened. Elizabeth doesn't quite understand because she thought they were looking for an animal, but Patterson explains they were wrong about that. It's then that Elizabeth delivers the quoted line and then questions how he could seriously think that Willie could have anything to do with it. Patterson tells her he never said that. Roger then offers to accompany Patterson to the stables to look for Willie, and as they leave, Elizabeth and Vicki take each other's hands.[/spoiler]

(There are also other sequences that appear on the MPI tapes: one in which Vicki and Roger talk over breakfast about her encounter with David the night before, and when Roger and Sheriff Patterson go to the stable and discover Willie isn't there. But no quotes from those scenes appear in the slideshow.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 06:00:27 AM »
Just a reminder that Midnite's first 28 quotes (from the second half of the pilot) have begun with the quote for January 29th.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 06:27:05 AM »
Seeing Joseph Gordon-Levitt looking 20 years younger just blows me away.