Author Topic: Barney says:  (Read 1564 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Barney says:
« on: September 27, 2002, 02:56:38 AM »
"You will NEVER understand, Ben,.... because this plotline is the biggest load of b.s. ever to hit the airwaves! I mean, REALLY, Mr. Thayer, uhhh...I mean, Ben, do you honestly think ANYONE is buying this?"

Peter Bradford (doing his very best whack-a-mole imitaton): "I love you, Vicky, I love you Vicky. I WILL FIND YOU!!!! (And when I do, I will scream, rant, whine and generally make your life a living hell in my inability to accept the fact that I found you!)"

Lara Parker looked especially radiant and lovely today.

OK, OK, I admit it- whatsherface is a much better Vicky than Betsey. She may be a better Vicky than Vicky. She is exceptionally beautiful and seems to be able to hold her own with the others AND say her lines well. (She made me wax rhapsodic for the long ago day that I had a jawline, then I remembered that mine never did look that great. I miss it anyway.)

I just think Betsey-wetsey-behind the ears got a raw deal being hired for a part that she wanted to make her own instead of an impossible imitation. She wasn't greatness personified, but we have seen plenty of actresses far worse.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Re: Barney says:
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2002, 03:05:24 AM »
I agree, Carolyn Groves (IMO) makes a far better Vicki then Betsy Durkin. She looks more like Alexandra Moltke and acted more like her. I agree about her acting style, she was able to hold her own for the three episodes she was on. Betsy, to me at least, stuck out like a sore thumb among the cast members, but Carolyn seemed to blend into the cast better.

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2002, 03:26:58 AM »
I agree, Carolyn Groves (IMO) makes a far better Vicki then Betsy Durkin.

Still...ya gotta feel bad for poor ol' ax-faced Betsy.

Then again...no, you don't.

[smrtasb][evilb][aprvb]
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 06:48:07 AM »
i thought she was better too but when she says goodbye to Barnabas just didn't seem right she really didn't seem like Vicki!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Connie

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2002, 07:16:36 AM »
Still...ya gotta feel bad for poor ol' ax-faced Betsy.

Then again...no, you don't.

[smrtasb][evilb][aprvb]

Ax-faced?  AX-faced??  LOL  [hdscrt]

Dearest scout75,
Where in HELL do you come up with these descriptions?
First it's "image carved from wood" Briscoe, now we have "ax-faced" Betsy.  
I shudder to think who's next.  [nerv]

-CLC
Who thinks scout75 has not only been purchasing lumber at Home Depot, but axes as well.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2002, 08:50:46 AM »
I liked this girl as Vicky also.  She definetely had more poise and carried herself well instead of screaming hysterically at anyone & everyone like the last girl did.  Even the hair was similar to A.M's.  

I thought Angelique looked lovely too in these scenes. It was nice to see her with the blonde curls again intead of that wild black wig that we've grown accustomed to seeing.

Poor Ben,  the poor guy does everyone's dirty work, tries his best to help everyone out, takes orders from the whole household & also others, (such as Danielle Roget) and when he asks a simple question such as ,"Who's Julia?" or "Willie? never heard that name before?"  all he gets is "Nevermind Ben!  You wouldn't understand!!"  I bet he was just as happy to get out of that household once and for all!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2002, 09:40:08 AM »
"Peter Bradford (doing his very best whack-a-mole imitaton): "I love you, Vicky, I love you Vicky. I WILL FIND YOU!!!! (And when I do, I will scream, rant, whine and generally make your life a living hell in my inability to accept the fact that I found you!)"  

Wow!  We thought he grabbed them when they were living.  When Vicki was supposed to be dead, I couldn't believe the way he was grabbing all over her face - poor Carolyn G!
Josette

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2002, 11:57:48 AM »
Poor Ben,  the poor guy does everyone's dirty work, tries his best to help everyone out, takes orders from the whole household & also others, (such as Danielle Roget) and when he asks a simple question such as ,"Who's Julia?"

Ben gets the answer to his own question when he meets Julia in 1840...Kinda neat!;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2002, 07:38:25 PM »
Poor Ben,  the poor guy does everyone's dirty work, tries his best to help everyone out, takes orders from the whole household & also others, (such as Danielle Roget) and when he asks a simple question such as ,"Who's Julia?" or "Willie? never heard that name before?"  all he gets is "Nevermind Ben!  You wouldn't understand!!"  I bet he was just as happy to get out of that household once and for all!

It would've been nice, if too, in 1840, when Julia does meet Ben and asks for his help that he remembered her name from Barnabas' earlier visit to the past. . but then maybe his second trip when Barnabas bites Natalie (which seemed weird and uncalled for . . .) wiped out this first return trip.  Barnabas, the frequent flyer time traveler. . .
Julia99

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2002, 12:05:19 AM »
Dearest scout75,
Where in HELL do you come up with these descriptions?

Dearest Connie:

What can I say? I calls 'em as I sees 'em...
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2002, 05:04:24 AM »
"You will NEVER understand, Ben,.... because this plotline is the biggest load of b.s. ever to hit the airwaves! I mean, REALLY, Mr. Thayer, uhhh...I mean, Ben, do you honestly think ANYONE is buying this?"

Its so awful its not even funny.  But seriously folks, I think that this has to do with the fact that we are watching a soap opera and whereas we today know that, "HEY! There's NO logical explanation for any of this!!" back in the day the writers had the viewers on their heels.

"Gee, I bet vicky will come back and then theyll explain what all this nonsense was about."

Hmmmm...

I liked this girl as Vicky also.  She definetely had more poise and carried herself well instead of screaming hysterically at anyone & everyone like the last girl did.  Even the hair was similar to A.M's.  

Well sure, she was good, but nobody's hair compares to AM's. <winking smiley>
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...