Author Topic: Anywhere but NEWARK!!!!!  (Read 5376 times)

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Anywhere but NEWARK!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 06:48:19 PM »
i agree that Brooklyn is the best east coast location. I one thing i like about Tarrytown it is the only DS Hotel where i have not had to pay to park my car. But the lot fills up fast.

As i said in a earlier post the Medowlands Crowne Plaza in Secacaus  is to home the Beatlefest and would be probably be a great place for a Dark Shadows Festival. It is around 3 miles away from large  Nj Transit-Secaucus Junction Train station. I have never been there so i have no first had Knowledge of the hotel.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/nycmd
Dan

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »
Another voice in protest of God-Forbid-Newark. 

Nothing like being in clear sight of a hotel and not being able to find the way to reach it for a couple of hours, circling hopelessly and driving through neighborhoods where there should be signs that actually say "Welcome to another high-crime area." 
And this from someone who is in love with "Weird New Jersey!"

Now if you said Atlantic City, that would be interesting.

But in reality, please please PLEASE, let it be Brooklyn or Tarrytown. 
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 06:24:49 AM »
Marie posted on her Facebook it will be August 19, 20, 21 "somewhere in NYC" she says! Thank GOD!  Now I hope I get to go!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »
Marie posted on her Facebook it will be August 19, 20, 21 "somewhere in NYC" she says! Thank GOD!  Now I hope I get to go!

She said "NYC area"  and that could still potentially include...Newark folks...
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 04:25:48 AM »
Speaking of the Marriott Marquis, while going through captures from Ep #1126 for the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1840/1841" board, I came across captures from an ad that KLS did for the '97 Fest:

Ah, the memories...

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 07:28:58 AM »
Comcast had just aded Sci Fi and i had gotten into the 1840 storyline over the summer of 1997. I seriously considered going to the 1997 Fest but I was still a new viewer and was a bit intimidated not knowing anything before 1840 other then what i read in Books and online. I wish i had gone( I never go to meet Dennis Patrick or Louis Edmonds). I finally went for the first time in 2003.
Dan

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »
You know, it is so interesting, what got me back attending the Fests was Jonathan coming back to the Tarrytown one in 2007, and I have been to the last two East Coast ones, and I agree, Newark was a poor venue.  I had a good time, but even with those two, the Fests have a same old, same old quality, but now when I hear that David Selby will be coming to this summers, that is an added plus, I am not sure he and JF have been to an East Coast Fest together for many many years, if at all..

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2011, 01:41:57 AM »
I don't believe they've ever done an East Coast Fest. Selby was interested in attending the 2007 "Weekend", but we'll recall how that played out...

To my knowledge, the only time Frid and Selby have both appeared was last year. Up to then it's been either or.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2011, 04:54:50 AM »
Great captures from those '97 ads MB!  It is strange how ... old they look now!  But yes, beloved, it was 14 years ago...

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »
i must say that certainly no other actor has marketed their time on DS with the same level of "enthusiasm" as kathryn leigh scott.

the promotional videos. the dvd commentaries. the festival attendance. it's obviously been well worth it for her to keep interest in the program high...the better to keep sales of those books and cd's humming. [snow_wink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 02:49:28 PM »
I personally think that the haircut KLS is sporting in the Screen Cap makes her look older than she does now.  I like the way she has her hair in 2011. I think KLS still looks good and Lara certainly is holding up to be her age.  In Night Whispers I could not believe how old Jon Frid sounded. Nevertheless he is 85 I think so I guess that is why his voice sounds so frail. I mean no disrespect when I say that.  He was able to play a very sad old Barnabas, I felt you could hear the wear and tear in his voice. I have never seen him at a Fest so I don't really know how he sounds there. 

I just wish they would invite some of the people back that haven't been in quite a while. I really wish that Terry would be at the 45Th anniversary celebration. I have gotten acquainted with her on Facebook and she is a total sweetheart. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
I agree Taeylor about KLS hairstyle.  It's much more flattering now but honestly not too many 80's hairstyles were flattering now that you look back on it!   [snow_smiley]

I also agree that it would be awesome if Terry would return to the fest for this special anniversary year! I've had the opportunity to speak with her at the old Halloween parties and she was always so lovely.  I'm kind of hoping it's in Tarrytown this summer because I'd love to see Lyndhurst again and visit Sleepy Hollow.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 01:28:27 AM »
I think it's a 90's hairstyle which sometimes I think are far WORSE. Isn't that an ad from SCI FI?  It really doesn't matter which time it was from but I wanted to point out that the ones from 90's in my opinion were worse.  I would love for the fest to be in Tarrytown as I haven't been there--yet!~