Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--The Game Begins 9/11-9/17  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--The Game Begins 9/11-9/17
« on: September 18, 2002, 07:53:54 PM »
There are big spoilers for 1897 sprinkled throughout.  You have been warned.

Fashion notes first . . .

After seeing Durkin in Carolyn's nightie without the robe and really how well she looked in it, I have to wonder why they then thought it necessary to have her put the robe back on?  Before I leave dear Betsy, I also wanted to say that I thought the black sleeveless dress was very flattering to her figure.

Amy's oversized PJs.  I thought these were kind of cute.  She only wore them a couple of times and then her wardrobe became vaguely like Anissa Jones' of Family Affair, the very pretty, but highly impractical clothes.

Joan Bennett's clothes for these episodes overall were a disappointment.  She wore the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test Grandma dress.  Then the highnecked white blouse, the red tent dress and really they were kind of all unattractive to watch.  I have to say, I am really looking forward to seeing her duds as Judith because these were just lame.

Roger and the hat.  The DS men and hats.  How many times do I have to say this?  Okay, say it with me now, folks, Evil, scary, bad.

Quentin looked suitably dashing.  

Beth . . . Beth.  Don't get me wrong, Terry Crawford was beautiful, but I've never quite understood the rationale for her ensemble.  Actually, I'll stop right here and say that I don't quite get how she's haunting Collinwood.  She didn't die anywhere near it.  But back to her clothes as the ghost of Beth.  That's a lace dress she's wearing.  It's positively lovely (and btw, Arashi wrote a really great fanfic about the dress and Beth), but that's not the kind of thing that a maid would have.  Lace, if I'm not mistaken, was handmade in those days.  It wasn't the type of thing that a servant was going to have lying around in her closet.  I suppose it's possible that she could have acquired it as a castoff from her employer, but given that it was hardly the sort of thing that Judith or Jenny would own, I'm really curious as to where Beth would have gotten it from.  Of course, at this point, I don't think anyone had a clear idea what Beth's story was.  

David was wearing red armbands on the one arm of his bathrobe because ???

Mme Findley's outfit was very appropriate and I loved the cape thingy.  Nicely done.

Joel Crothers' hair?  What's up with that?

Onto the shows . . .

I really like Amy's bedroom.  The point lace canopy was charming and can I just say that I covet that armoire.  

Faux-Vicki is basically quite the flake.  Real-Vicki was dumb as a post, but Faux-Vicki is just a whack job.  It's a bad scene.  Hello?  Scared little girl in the room and you start talking to your invisible dead husband?  Think about it, hon--does this seem like a good idea to you?

I get a kick out of Amy.  They really wrote her some good lines and gave her a believable character.  Added to this, Nickerson was an excellent child actress.  I loved her reaction to Professor Stokes too.  

Watching Faux-Vicki was very painful.  Particularly with the stupid watch.  I have to admit I may have hit the FFwd button a few times.  I mean, c'mon, all this grief over Jeff Clark?  He's so not worth it and she was being such the drama queen.  I couldn't help but wish that someone had suggested to Vicki that the watch was just broken and actually not a sign?  At the moment, she's channeling Mrs. Wyse and Blue Birdie but it's not nearly as amusing . . .

Oh, there we go!  There's a problem so what do we do?

LET'S HOLD A SEANCE!!!

Everyone they've held has worked just so spectacularly well before, NOT.  You'd think they would have decided that maybe there was a better problem-solving tool out there, wouldn't you?  

Was kind of intrigued that in the beginning, Amy has a stronger connection with Quentin than David does.  Given her relationship to him, not altogether surprising.  I do wonder exactly what had been plotted out for 1897 at this point.  Anyone know?  The dates are wildly off for Jamison to be corresponding with Quentin.  In 1887, he would have been, what? 3?  And I am curious as to who Oscar was supposed to be.

So I'm watching Carolyn channeling Magda and then Amy and David running around at 3AM and I just have to say this.  You know, if Carolyn had been in college or gainfully employed (and I mean at a real job) or if Amy and David had been receiving actual parental care and education, none of this would have happened.  As it is, Carolyn seems to have nothing at all to do every day and the kids, well, does anyone even make sure they get fed?  Faux-Vicki isn't doing anything but trying to commune with a watch (And Real-Vicki had stopped providing any actual teaching months and months ago).  Chris can't be bothered to do much but drink and mope.  Roger.  Well, we know about Roger.  I dunno.  I don't think I would want to leave these people with a pet fish let alone two kids.  Kind of makes you wish that someone had contacted Social Services.

Speaking of Roger, I really miss the snarky, acerbic Roger of old, but there was some attempt on the part of the writers to explore his parental instincts and I did appreciate that.  Of course, Roger's parental instincts are completely askew, but still was intriguing.  

Oh. My. God.  So they were in the hall of the West Wing and I finally noticed the lamp behind Amy and David!  It is possibly the ugliest light fixture I have ever seen.  Like something out of an Edward Gorey drawing--it looks like a plant with tentacles and bulbs for buds.  (shiver).

This is probably a sign of poorly place priorities on my part or a lack of empathy or decency or something, but when the grandfather clock fell in front of the kids, my first thought was I hope that's not original.

Regarding the cradle robbing (sorry couldn't resist the pun) episode, I'm a bit curious as to a)how Quentin knew the cradle was in the Old House attic--I mean, does he have a ghostly sense for antiques? and b) how the damn thing got there in the first place.  In light of what those of us who have seen 1897 know it seems highly unlikely that the family would have chosen to move a cradle to the Old House for storage.

God, these kids are championship liars.  But I don't care, it's bringing us Quentin who is just so delightfully dishy even when he's wreaking havoc.

More bad parenting.  Roger, sweetie, the kids don't need a governess.  What they need is to be enrolled in a school and given some sort of actual structure in their lives.

I have always wondered how exactly our little tykes managed to fit a 6'5" skeleton in a toy chest and drag it all the way out of the house.  All I can think is that they broke him into pieces (we'll ignore the fact that there were probably still bits of flesh and that even sixty odd years later might have reeked a bit), stuffed the bones in the box and then literally dragged and pushed the box throughout the halls (probably ruining the floors in the process).  Kind of an ignominous type of burial.

Roger keeps a loaded gun in his bedside table?  Things that make you go hmmm.  I was amused though that when he was demonstrating to David that he was fine, he decided to do it by going to the brandy decanter.  I guess as long as you can make it to the liquor, that constitutes health.  Curious that no one chose to look at the stairs for the screw holes that held the wire into place.  That's what they do in the movies--I don't really think David would have gotten putty, sanded them down and then restained the wood so the evidence would probably still be there.

And then the Tarot card!  Yep, that would make me phone an acquaintance at 2:30 in the morning.  Of course, as I really enjoy the appearance of Madame Findley, I'm not going to complain too much.  Humphrey is very over the top, but it works for the part and we'll just ignore the fact that some of her gestures to the spirits looked very much like she was doing warm-up exercises ;)

When Chris was imploring Julia for sleeping pills and she hesitated, I nearly fell off my chair.  This from the woman who's constantly handing them out like they were candy?  

It pains me to talk about it because it was just so godawful to have to sit through, but Faux-Vicki and P/J.  So first we have Roger and Elizabeth calling her "poor child" and wringing their hands--she's acting like a first-class loon.  Psychiatric help, people.  It's not that hard.  You've got a shrink in the house.  They stick people in Wyndcliffe at the drop of a hat, here's someone who actually could benefit from the treatment and it's not even discussed?

It's kind of sad really.  By the time Vicki had "left," I could have cared less.  The character was destroyed by then--there wasn't anything to lament.  Poor Art Wallace.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--The Game Begins 9/11-9/17
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 09:04:41 PM »
Ah, Luciaphil.....how I love your comments.  They're like a blast of arctic air through a musty, disused room....kind of like the many at Collinwood!!!!

But THIS in particular made my day:

Oh. My. God.  So they were in the hall of the West Wing and I finally noticed the lamp behind Amy and David!  It is possibly the ugliest light fixture I have ever seen.  Like something out of an Edward Gorey drawing--it looks like a plant with tentacles and bulbs for buds.  (shiver).

I LOVE Edward Gorey.....I think the whole production would have been significantly improved if the talented Mr. Gorey had been the Set Designer....[lghy]

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 10:01:43 PM »
I do wonder exactly what had been plotted out for 1897 at this point.  Anyone know?  The dates are wildly off for Jamison to be corresponding with Quentin.  In 1887, he would have been, what? 3?  And I am curious as to who Oscar was supposed to be.

I mentioned this myself earlier, and you indicated that from what you knew the story line had been plotted out. But to what extent, I wonder? Had they even decided at this point that they were going to go back in time again? When Magda spoke thru Carolyn it made me wonder whether, if they knew they were going to do another time travel story, they might at that point have been considering Nancy Barrett to be the gypsy who put the curse on Quentin. As you pointed out, the whole 1887/Oscar thing doesn't jive with the eventual 1897 story line.

As it is, Carolyn seems to have nothing at all to do every day and the kids, well, does anyone even make sure they get fed?  

Apparently; David is forever being sent into the kitchen to get his lunch or dinner from Mrs. Johnson. If it weren't for her, I'm sure everyone would starve. You have to wonder what they did for food before they hired Mrs. Johnson though.

In light of what those of us who have seen 1897 know it seems highly unlikely that the family would have chosen to move a cradle to the Old House for storage.

Here again, as with your comment on Beth's lace dress, it seems that at this point they either don't have a clear plan for the story line or else changed their minds by the time they finally got to 1897; however, if Barnabas had not returned to 1897 and been released from his coffin by Sandor, then Magda and Sandor would have had to leave the Old House after Edith's death. Inconvenient signs of Jenny's children might very well have been taken over to the Old House for storage, by Dirk, perhaps.

I have always wondered how exactly our little tykes managed to fit a 6'5" skeleton in a toy chest and drag it all the way out of the house.  

Here's another red herring in the whole story line; it's supposed to be Quentin's skeleton, as far as we know, but of course later we find that it's Gregory Trask's skeleton. Did Quentin "originally" die in that room, and did Gregory Trask "originally" meet with some other kind of fate, prior to the time-traveling intervention of Barnabas? It almost hurts my head to think about it.

Roger keeps a loaded gun in his bedside table?  Things that make you go hmmm.

Wouldn't you keep a gun handy if YOU lived at Collinwood? Provided it was loaded with silver bullets, that is.  

And then the Tarot card!  

This annoyed me too. Anyone who knows anything about Tarot cards knows that individually they mean nothing. It is their placement in a "reading" and relationship to surrounding cards that is alleged to have any significance.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 02:54:02 AM »
I also love your comments.  I have to tell you my husband's sister gave us a lamp very similar to that one in the west wing.  When we opened it on Christmas a few years back we found it hard not to laugh and ask her what was she thinking.  It now holds a special place deep in the basement.  Have the fun of Christmas is discussing the worst gifts of the year.  Yes, we are evil.

As for Beth's dress maybe Quentin gave it to her.  Just an idea.

Birdie--anyone want a really ugly orange lamp?
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 07:09:45 AM »
It's kind of sad really.  By the time Vicki had "left," I could have cared less.  The character was destroyed by then--there wasn't anything to lament.  Poor Art Wallace.

I thought Vicki was DC's prize pig of a character (thus explaining her massive role in the '91 series) and that Art Wallace was just responsible for the "house on the cliff" scenario.  Oh well, the ratings were not on his side, and in the end Laura became the undead.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 11:10:01 AM »
[Luciaphil wrote:]  
I have always wondered how exactly our little tykes managed to fit a 6'5" skeleton in a toy chest and drag it all the way out of the house.  All I can think is that they broke him into pieces (we'll ignore the fact that there were probably still bits of flesh and that even sixty odd years later might have reeked a bit), stuffed the bones in the box and then literally dragged and pushed the box throughout the halls (probably ruining the floors in the process).  Kind of an ignominous type of burial.

I kept thinking this myself and wondering how on earth that tall, long skeleton managed to fit into that small chest?  And what was up with the wig?  For those of us who saw this storyline before, the two people of whom these bones could belong to still didn't have a head of hair like that!

It pains me to talk about it because it was just so godawful to have to sit through, but Faux-Vicki and P/J.  So first we have Roger and Elizabeth calling her "poor child" and wringing their hands--she's acting like a first-class loon.  Psychiatric help, people.  It's not that hard.  You've got a shrink in the house.  They stick people in Wyndcliffe at the drop of a hat, here's someone who actually could benefit from the treatment and it's not even discussed?

LOL!  Funny you should mention this because sometime back in the show when little David was acting up and accusing his cousin of being one of the "living dead," they had a shrink in there for him right away!

I would have loved to have seen A.M. play these dramatic scenes out instead of B.D. who just didn't do the part or the scene justice.

As for Beth's dress the only thing I can sumise is that perhaps the Collins family (or Quentin) felt sorry for her and all that she had been through and they decided to  have her buried in it..
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2002, 04:20:33 PM »
I thought Vicki was DC's prize pig of a character (thus explaining her massive role in the '91 series) and that Art Wallace was just responsible for the "house on the cliff" scenario.  Oh well, the ratings were not on his side, and in the end Laura became the undead.

From what I've read, DC came up with the beautiful girl on a train.  According to Wallace, that was pretty much it.  Most of the rest of it came from the writers at the time.  My point was more that it was Wallace who fleshed out the character of Victoria, who made her three-dimensional.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2002, 06:27:40 PM »
    I know how the kids got Quentin's remains in that toybox.  I have a skeleton I display ever Halloween.  It is all held together with fishing line so it just collapes in a pile and fits in a small box.  I figure there is nothing left to hold Quentin together so he just collapes into a pile'o bones and clothes.  Scoop him up and your good to go.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2002, 01:41:22 AM »
Now that I've stopped laughing my ...... off!
When the show ended and Sam Hall(?) wrote about what happened to the characters in an article, he mentions that Chris, Sabrina and Amy leave Collinsport and Chris eventually kills Sabrina.  What happened to Amy? Did she learn of the curse and its implications for her if she eventually became the mother of a son? Also, I can picture Beth in the beautiful white dress as a token of a marriage to Quentin. And, as someone said, the Collins'es probably provided it for her funeral.
Since we eventually find out that the bones are not those of Quentin, I wonder how his character came back as a ghost when the Dorian Gray type portrait, which still existed, kept him alive.  And if he died, how did it happen? I have a headache trying to sort all of this out!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2002, 05:12:18 AM »
SPOILERS FOR 1897

I think that Barnabas was after Magda to do something about Quentin's curse.  I've felt that if he hadn't gone back, Magda wouldn't have stolen the Hand, which is what brought Petofi to Collinsport.  So, the portrait would never have been painted and Quentin could have died.

However, we still have Beth's original story of what happened that night and it involved her jealousy over his plan to marry Angelique.  I suppose it's possible that Quentin and Evan could still have conjured up Angelique even if Barnabas hadn't been there, but that part does seem rather strange.
Josette