Author Topic: Travel Agent for Time NOW OPEN!!  (Read 3939 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Travel Agent for Time NOW OPEN!!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2002, 11:06:42 PM »
I 'd go back to 1986 Game 6 World Series and beg John Mac not to take Roger out!

jennifer

WELCOME BOYKADING
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2002, 11:12:41 PM »
I'd love to be able to get into a "time machine" and travel back to different points in time without ever physically moving to a different location (same spot, different time). It would be cool to see open fields where my house now stands 200 years ago, or a forest, or whatever was here then. It would be fun to see the earliest settlers of the city with the dirt roads and horse and buggies. It would also be cool to travel all the way back to the prehistoric era and just watch the landscape evolve around me as I moved forward again to present day.

I would love that too Chris!  I love looking at old photograph's that were taken in my City from years and years ago and then comparing them to the way things look now.  It's amazing to see just how much has changed over the years. Everytime I see old buildings and houses, I always think of how they looked in their day and wonder what the original owners would say if they could see them now.

There's an old park & pool that I go to here in Yonkers that was built in 1926 and is still kept up with beautiful grounds and a lovely lake as well, (although they could fare to get a new pool)   They have old pictures in the lobby of how the place looked in 1928. Although still very crowded today because of the beauty of the grounds, waterfall & lake,  the pool isn't nearly as crowded as it was it in's day.  Couldn't get over the long long line just to get into it, must have been something in it's heyday!   The funny thing is that the whole place looks EXACTLY as it does today.  

I think it's great when they keep these old historic places instead of just tearing them down to build more shopping malls or whatever. As long as they preserve them okay,  I think they show such an important part of history.  :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2002, 03:13:57 AM »
Hi, Julia 99 i would say i'd love to go to Rome Italy
and take The Q-man with me!!!! NOW THAT WOULD
BE ROMANTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2002, 04:03:15 AM »
I would love to do the 1950's again.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2002, 04:27:11 AM »
While I would be delighted to visit just about any period in history, (with the possible exceptions of the Great Depression and the years of the Black Death) I've always been drawn to the 1960's and 1950's.  Both were monumental decades for various reasons, and each sounds like a heck of a lot more fun than modern times.  Moreover, I too would love to visit the DS studios. :)

ProfStokes

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2002, 05:28:37 AM »
I'm with Craig Slocum. . i'd wanna hang with Grayson . ..say in the bar where she ended up getting the Dr. Hoffman job anyway from Bob Costello. . .**that** would be a moment to witness.
Julia99

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2002, 06:17:29 AM »
Take me back to the Wild West,  I always wanted to go there!

Here come cowboys, coming to save us all!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2002, 09:19:43 AM »
Welcome, boykading!!  :)

Glad you decided to join in!
Josette

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2002, 03:50:08 PM »
I've always been drawn to the 1960's and 1950's.  Both were monumental decades for various reasons, and each sounds like a heck of a lot more fun than modern times.  Moreover, I too would love to visit the DS studios. :)ProfStokes

Get yourself sent to The Village in the 1950's, ProfStokes, and live through the Beat Generation years...eventually you'll wind up in the mid 1960's and you could head uptown for a job at that TV studio!!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Connie

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2002, 04:12:59 PM »
Get yourself sent to The Village in the 1950's, ProfStokes, and live through the Beat Generation years...eventually you'll wind up in the mid 1960's and you could head uptown for a job at that TV studio!!

We used to love going down to the Village in the late 60's - all sorts of great little shops and clubs.  I still have a button I bought down there when I was around 14 that says 'Bullshit' in gothic letters.  (Well, I thought it was cool at the time)  LOL
Also got the first issue of Rolling Stone that ever came out down there - long before it became any sort of major publication.

And yes...we would occasionally go uptown and take an casual stroll down W.53rd St. and read all the graffiti scrawled on the brick front of the studio.

Frid Power!!

ROFL

-CLC

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2002, 07:30:32 PM »

Get yourself sent to The Village

Someone recently was telling me about NYC, and they mentioned the West Village, is that the same place?
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2002, 08:53:19 PM »
Forgive us New Yorkers for referring to Greenwich Village as though it was the only place on Earth that qualified as a village.  

Yes, the West Village is part of what is locally known as "The Village"  It's in lower Manhattan, on the West Side (closer to the Hudson River than the East River)

It's been a "bohemian" kind of neighborhood since the turn of the 20th century....perennially on the list of places tourists have to go in order to say they've "seen" New York.

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2002, 09:52:44 PM »

I would love that too Chris!  I love looking at old photograph's that were taken in my City from years and years ago and then comparing them to the way things look now.  It's amazing to see just how much has changed over the years. Everytime I see old buildings and houses, I always think of how they looked in their day and wonder what the original owners would say if they could see them now.

Me too. I work in a building that dates back to 1918, and we, too, have pictures in the lobby of how the main street in town looked back in that era. The old-time cars on the dirt roads are hysterical. But the traffic wasn't nearly as bad!!! There's something to be said for that.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2002, 10:37:55 PM »
Forgive us New Yorkers for referring to Greenwich Village as though it was the only place on Earth that qualified as a village.

I never thought of Greenwich Village. You can tell I don't spend much time in New York. Thanks Rainey! I'm in "Sin City", that's the nickname around here. I just call it Las Vegas.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2002, 11:19:19 PM »
I think "Sin City" is a wonderful name!  Certainly tells you everything a tourist needs to know about the place, doesn't it?  [lghy]

Rainey
Dylan Thomas