Author Topic: How Burton’s DARK SHADOWS Could Be Great (But Won’t Be)  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
How Burton’s DARK SHADOWS Could Be Great (But Won’t Be)
« on: December 15, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »
Fewer gaffes in this piece than most (though, of course, one popular misconception is once again referenced [santa_rolleyes]), and his idea for a sort of behind the scenes DS movie is a very interesting one, possibly even a great one. However, that's a story that isn't very likely to ever be made into a film so long as certain behind the scenes realities are glossed over in the "official" version of the show's history.  [santa_cheesy]

That being said, though, the fact that the Depp/DS film will not be a behind the scenes look at DS and rather another retelling of Barnabas' initial story does in no way mean that the film hasn't got the potential to be great.  [santa_angry]  But, of course, the author is hardly the first to have a less than optimistic view of how the Depp/DS film will turn out - and he'll hardly be the last...

Terror Tuesday: How Burton’s DARK SHADOWS Could Be Great (But Won’t Be)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: How Burton’s DARK SHADOWS Could Be Great (But Won’t Be)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the link.

G.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:12:35 PM »
how accurate is this guy?   I can imagine who did the lsd, but some of the other stuff is just wacky.  seems he was putting the show down.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:27:23 PM »
I like the title of this thread.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 08:38:01 PM »
It only has the title that it does because it's the title of the article. I almost always title topics that link to articles with the title of the article. The titles don't necessarily reflect what I think or what many of the forum's members might think.  [santa_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:06:34 PM »
I didn't mean to be negative.   I still like it.   Not reading article... eyes you know.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:10:14 AM »
From whats been said by JD and TB I do have a bad feeling that the movie is going to be somewhat comedic and not true to the real DS.   It will be good as most of JDs films are but it won't be superior. If the demographics are 13 - 17 year olds, how much horror can they really have in it afterall! [santa_sad]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:49:16 AM »
I'm often surprised by how much blood, gore and violence is in a PG-13 film (but then, the MPAA is much more fainthearted when it comes to sexuality than they are with violence - but don't even get me started on that). However, 13 - 17-year-olds can still see an R film - they just have to be accompanied by someone who's 18 or older - not something that was ever very hard to arrange when I was 13 - 17.  [santa_wink]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 03:51:07 PM »
i thought the article was an interesting spin on things.

it's sort of a loaded thing. for actors who find themselves involved in any sort of "cult" thing while they may not achieve fame and fortune in the traditional sense(which of course can be fleeting anyways)but something else. something that takes on a life of it's own.

i guess it's sort of a trade-off. one has to make the decision to embrace it or try and distance oneself from it. interesting most of the surviving DS cast chooses to participate in it in some way. crappy,out of the way airport hotels. lousy food. the festival circuit is not glamorous but many choose to be engaged.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »
This would certainly be an interesting take.  In a way, I'd almost prefer this.  I just have a feeling that another re-telling of the Barnabas story might be a little tired (as much as I love that story).  A behind-the-scenes, 'Ed Wood'-type film could spark much more interest to the original series.  It would have to be done lovingly though, and not in a way which makes fun of the show.  Since Depp and Burton are both big fans of the classic series, I'm sure they'll push to do it right no matter the direction they take.  I'm more worried about the studio system sticking their noses in.

~Penny~ 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »
Heaven knows why but a behind the scenes storyline brought up visions of the 'The French Lieutenant's Woman' for me. I haven't seen the movie in years.  I'm not opposed to a storyline along those lines.  Just thinking about JD wearing a ring similar to Barnabas's made me feel emotional for some reason. Perhaps because now it seems almost 100% certain that JD is really into Barnabas's character.  Similar feelings occurred to me when I saw the latest Star Trek movie and the actor who played Mr Spock.  A yearning for the old days perhaps.  [reindeer]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Richard

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »
Okay, I've read the article by Phil Nobile Jr linked in the initial post. It's quite a put-down. He certainly takes a cynical and eccentric view of the program. If he thinks confusion and stage fright are all that Frid's performance amounts to, he doesn't recognize acting when he sees it. And if he thinks a homosexual secret is what the character of Barnabas Collins is about, I suspect Nobile Jr is really talking about himself. The only valid interpretation of Dark Shadows is the superficial one: Barnabas is a vampire because he is the victim of a supernatural curse. Vampirism is not a metaphor for homosexuality in Dark Shadows. The writers are telling a straightforward story about vampires, ghosts, witches and werewolves, and they provide motivations and conflicts for the characters which draw on emotional states and which prompt an emotional response like every drama is supposed to. That's all the program is about, that's why it was a hit, and that's why it remains popular. Audiences did not know or care if some of the actors were gay nor did they perceive a gay subtext in the program. There was no gay subtext in either the writing or the performing of Dark Shadows.Forgive my language, but Nobile Jr has his head stuck up his ass.

Further, the notion of making a Dark Shadows movie as a gay expose of the cast at work on the set and the uncomprehending dumbness of its audience is not only a bad idea, it is diseased, and a profoundly stupid proposition not worth a pixel of cyber space.

yours truly,

Richard

(edited by admin)

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »
Petofi and Aristede had a gay subtext.  But, as a whole, i don't think that the show was one big gay metaphor. 

But, I don't thiink that Julia would have had a problem with carpets, though.  [ChristmaS11]

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »
I'm sorry you feel that way, Richard. The article was not a put down; I'm a genuine fan of the show and in my opinion a candid look at how the show was made is a far more interesting story to tell than remaking Dark Shadows, again.

The themes and subtext I presented were the result of a lot of reading, watching and listening to a lot of interviews, email exchanges between myself and folks like Craig Hamrick, interviewing fans at several DS conventions over the last three years, and hearing stories from cast members - stories that aren't in the "official" books, but tales shared after hours in the lobby of hotels in Tarrytown and Brooklyn.  I know certain subjects are tip toed around out of courtesy within DS fandom, but my point is the full true story of the colorful cast of the show deserves proper preservation, and beyond that it's a story which deserves to be honored, and honored with the full truth.

My remarks about Frid's rocky first year are echoed in countless interviews with the man himself. I find something incredibly touching about Mr. Frid's long journey, and seeing him take the stage in 2007 was a truly transcendent moment. I was not advocating for any sort of hatchet piece, but was affectionately embracing the "stranger than fiction" nature of how the pieces of the puzzle came together. It's an amazing, crazy story, and more people should know about it!

The not-so-subtle subtle dig at my sexuality was uncalled for. I'm a married straight male, but that's irrelevant to your insult; imagine what folks like Joel Crothers or Louis Edmonds would think of you slinging homosexuality at another as an insult. Shameful stuff.

To others in the thread, thanks for reading the article; I feel many of you "got" what I was advocating. Happy New Year!
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 05:49:17 AM »
I don't want to get this oft topic. However, I identified with Barnabas as a young gay man because he like I had a huge secret that could ruin his life.  So for me it was comfort to have Barnabas (although it was the 1991 show at first) to help me through the awkward years when I knew who I was but was very afraid of the outcome and what my family would think.   I personally look forward to the movie and I am not going to say it's good or bad until I walk about out the theatre

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/