Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1117  (Read 1248 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1117
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:00:02 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1117
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:25:37 AM »
1840 loose-cannon, less stick-in-the-mud, of-his-time Barnabas, we hardly knew ye.   Couldn't we have had him longer?   ***   Why does Julia's cross have miniature cordoning-off chains around its base?   To keep away mice who are unusually respectful of boundaries?

THE HEAD!!!!

Something evil about a severed head in a display case, Flora?   It's as innocent as mother's milk Flora, you must be crazy!

Isn't Roxanne still Barnabas's slave?   Why would she give him away?   Does a transfusion break the connection?

I really like that bit of music introduced at the end of this episode, with the Head opening its eyes.  It always goes through my head during weeks when I'm watching 1840.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »

1970 Barnabas has made it into 1840 Barnabas.  The way he said it - "finally" - makes me wonder if he had a little trouble getting there.  Maybe the I Ching sent him to 1940 first.

Isn't Roxanne still Barnabas's slave?   Why would she give him away?   Does a transfusion break the connection?
A transfusion probably wouldn't do it, since it didn't ever change Maggie's state of mind.  But the fact that the Barnabas who bit Roxanne is no longer the dominant force in the body of 1840 Barnabas (there's got to be a better way to write that, but part of the problem is that I don't know the exact status of the spirit of 1840 Barnabas) might well change things.  And even if it didn't, she might give him away without meaning to do so.  I remember that Maggie didn't give Barnabas away back in 1967, but there's a closer emotional link between Barnabas and Roxanne than there was between Barnabas and Maggie.  So I could rationalize Barnabas's and Julia's worry about Roxanne, but something else surprised me: Barnabas's assumption that he was the one who had bitten Roxanne.  It's a reasonable conclusion, given the situation in which he suddenly found himself - but he made it seem like more than a reasonable conclusion: he knew.  Maybe, then, the swapping out of spirits in Barnabas's body didn't make a difference, and he felt the link.  And that's sort of creepy.  He didn't bite her, but he feels the effects of it anyway.

What nice people Flora and Desmond are!  They must be very distant cousins of the Collinwood branch.  And I enjoy seeing John Karlen playing the steady and stolidy son of the Joan Bennett's silly character after having seen him playing the immature younger brother of Joan Bennett's old maid character.

Golly, the ending with the Head is quite disquieting.  Does Flora have intuition or is she just charmingly squeamish?  I've got to say, we're not supposed to speak ill of the dead, but if Quentin would like that Head, then he must be sort of strange.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
It's a good thing Barnabas from 1970 came along when he did...or else Julia would have been a goner...or something worse, though I doubt 1840 Barnabas ever intented to let her live under any circumstances, whether as a human or a vamp.

1840 Barnabas was fun while he lasted, but ultimately he had to go if Julia was going to live.

Yes, I agree it's more practical to have John Karlen play a son of Joan Bennett's rather than a brother of hers. Desmond and Flora are probably my favorites from the 1840 era.

Desmond's puzzlement over Flora's fear of the head is a bit bewildering though. I completely understand why she would be afraid of the head...I know I'd be freaked out to say the least if my son brought something like that home.

How did he expect her to react?

Desmond:  "Look what I brought home, Ma! A freaky looking 100 something year old head still in perfect condition after all this time!"
Flora:: "Good for you son. I always knew you could find a disembodied head if you put your mind to it!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:20:49 PM »
Flora:: "Good for you son. I always knew you could find a disembodied head if you put your mind to it!"

LOL!   We hear later that Desmond thinks the head's not real, and is some sort of carving.   (Not a spoiler, is it?)  Still, if it were a carving, the object of it had to be to alarm people, and make them think there was a disembodied head in the case.   So, Desmond's attitude is strange, either way...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:34:54 PM »
Maybe Desmond thought that writing novels had broadened Flora's mind.