Author Topic: OT: NEW BUFFY MOVIE MOVING FORWARD (PUKE!)  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
OT: NEW BUFFY MOVIE MOVING FORWARD (PUKE!)
« on: November 22, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
I know there are several Buffy fans here so I thought I would post! Okay I know DS is being redone but come on the cast is older and many have passed on.  However, all the cast of Buffy are still alive and Joss Whedon is alive and kicking?  WHY?  WHY?  Sadly Joss sold the rights to Buffy years ago when to get  the movie mad (which he ended up walking from) and when the show went to air he had to pay two people through the nose to do nothing.  So now they are gonna reboot the franchise. Crazy! 

From Zap2it.com

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2010/11/new-buffy-film-we-agree-with-giles-the-earth-is-doomed.html
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT: NEW BUFFY MOVIE MOVING FORWARD (PUKE!)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 01:29:18 AM »
Well, at this point I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not willing to criticize what I haven't seen yet. And if they want to take the reboot all the way back to the high school years, then it wouldn't matter that the original cast is still around because, as much as I love them, they're all too old to play high schoolers. The only way to go would be with a fresh cast...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:23:32 PM »
I guess that is a good way to look at it but I just think it's doomed to fail.  The Buffy fans are rabid.  I just personally can't imagine another Buffy besides SMG and the scobbies. The cast is too old to do High School but adapt the comic if you really want a good movie or franchise even.  None of them are working steady besides Alyson and David I think they could make a killing of of it. However,  I guess I will wait and see how it pans out.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:42 PM »
I read on the TV Guide Web site that the idea isn't to go back to the high school years - but apparently TPTB aren't saying exactly what their take is beyond the notion that the new writer has "an exciting idea about how to update Buffy." It is possible, so I'll remain hopeful.

As for Buffy fans flipping out over the announcement, well, all fandoms flip out over such announcements. The reverberations from the outburst of Star Trek fans to the initial idea of ST:TNG are still being felt throughout parts of the known universe.  [wink2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:29:47 AM »
I just feel like Joss feels. He pretty much sums up how I feel.  He posted this today!  I like reimaginings but I am not feeling this one for some reason.

I think the treated the news with lots of class!

From Eonline

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b212644_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:42:02 AM »
I've read some of those comments elsewhere (a few are in the TV Guide piece), and I can understand Joss' points. But one of the points that he made that shouldn't be overlooked is that he wasn't alone in making Buffy the show it was. There were some amazing writers involved without whose contributions Buffy would never have reached the heights that it did - and conversely, there were some whose writing sucked big time and whose contributions caused Buffy to fall short (sometimes way short) of what came to be expected of it. Not every Buffy ep was a classic, and this despite the fact that Joss oversaw them all. (Joss was far from infallible.) So, with that being said, only time will tell as to whether the new writer falls into the amazing category or into the sucking category...

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 04:24:36 AM »
I first heard about this project ages ago and thought it had languished in pre-production purgatory. If I remember correctly, and if the information is still accurate, they have the rights to do a sequel of the movie ONLY. They cannot use any characters created for the TV series. If that's correct, then it's a sort of alternate universe of Buffy. I'm willing to give it a shot. Whether that means seeing it 1st run, 2nd run, or on DVD will depend upon the buzz after it's released. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:40:11 AM »
If they can only do a sequel to the original Buffy movie and they can't use any of the characters created for the TV series, then that would explain a lot. It would also make for, as you say, an alternative universe Buffy - and I, for one, would find that an interesting take. So here's hoping that's the direction they're taking...

Offline Ed Gross

• View Profile
    • Blog of Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »
Their Buffy rights are definitely limited to Joss' screenplay for the movie, and this reboot is going to have nothing to do with the TV series in terms of the core characters.

I don't have a problem with reboots if they're backed by genuinely creative people, such as Johnny Depp and Tim Burton on Dark Shadows, J.J. Abrams and writers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci on Star Trek, and that sort of thing. While there are too many unknowns to truly judge the Buffy reboot at this point, the credits of those involved are somewhat underwhelming and don't seem to hold great promise. But I'm always hopeful.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Their Buffy rights are definitely limited to Joss' screenplay for the movie, and this reboot is going to have nothing to do with the TV series in terms of the core characters.

Then a lot of the rants that are being posted on the Internet make absolutely no sense. But then, so what else is new...

David

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »
I'm so fed up with the leack of creativity in Hollywood that I no longer go to movies. On the rare times that a new film interests me, I watch them at home on my high-def screen.
I get a lot of direct to DVD free screeners as a reviewer, and often find that some of these, like the recent chiller After Life, are where the new movies are.
I also enjoy TCM & my Hammer/Universal monster/DS DVDs.

I may go see Burlesque in a theatre because I love Cher, after that, the next time I visit a theatre will be when Depp Shadows opens.

This new Buffy film, the recent Elm Street & Halloween reboots are all among the many reasons I just stopped going.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »
I have thought more about it and I really don't see the reason to retread HIGH SCHOOL. I wouldn't mind a Buffy possible set in a different time period such as after HS and college.  Time will tell...

My main hang up is that all the cast is basically able to do a Trilogy or a one shot.  They can use special lighting to make James look younger although he is still looking pretty good for close to 50  and I think David B is better now than in his Angel days.  I just don't see why they wouldn't want to strike gold if they had the chance......I am just puzzled.  

By the way MB I just wanted to let you know I am not a RABID Buffy fan I am a RABID Charmed fan and I know that Joss was infalliable.  Every Buffy ep wasn't classic. I think The Body, The Gift, Once More With Feeling, Hush and Chosen were classics.  I have never been a huge fan of Joss to tell you the truth because he always makes snide comments about Charmed and it has been going on for years. I am like get over it dude.  It's not as if Angel is an original thought. So that has turned me off about it....so I just wanted to let anyone know that I don't worship the ground he walks on.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 05:44:24 AM »
Unfortunately, since the Buffy TV series characters can't be used in this new film, the only way any members of the TV series cast could be used would be if they played new characters. And it's quite possible that most Buffy TV series fans might find that way too bizarre. I know I would - especially if several were playing major and not bit parts. It would certainly cause unwanted comparisons of the new film to the TV series. Not that that probably won't already happen - but it would drastically intensify the situation if they were to be in the film...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 09:27:54 AM »
Yes but a Buffy flim could be done with the original characters if deals were worked out couldn't they? Or am I missing something.  I am talking aside from this movie couldn't Joss choose to do a movie with his characters if it was all approved?