Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1109  (Read 1082 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1109
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:04 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1109
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
THE DESTRUCTION OF COLLINWOOD.   Finally.

If Q dies, T&C die?  That's what Tad thinks.   I don't get it.

David/Tad is wearing a 1970 suit.  Again, why'd Gerard want that?  Is he a more contemporary guy than he seems?

Here comes one of only two specific moments from DS that I remember from childhood:  when, during the zombie attack (#2), a canvas tarp drops down into plain view from the rafters, unfurls, and drops "debris" onto the foyer.   I just could not believe I'd seen that at the time.   I think I must have gone over and over it in my head... was that really what it looked like?   Or was it not a mistake, was it something else we were supposed to see, that I didn't understand?  When you're a kid, you always have to take that possibility into account, that something you can't make sense of really does make sense to the adults...

I remember from past viewings that the swarming of the zombies over Barnabas and the zombies in general were impressive, unlike Jeb's version.   The general lack of music helps.   The towel or whatever over Tor's head didn't.  Also very interesting was the moment when during the swarming, Barnabas urges Julia to take the staircase, shouting "I'll follow you!"   Then you remember, as bad as things look, they can't really destroy him.    I like it when a line gets us thinking, instead of spelling every little thing out for us.

Finally, 1840!   Goodbye forever to Carolyn...?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
James Storm voiceover again.  Nice voice, bad choice.

I'm glad that Daphne doesn't  understand why the children have to suffer, because I don't either.  I don't understand much of anything.  Were today's events all part of Gerard's plan?  Or was he compelled to do all this because Tad and Carrie are the incestral - oops, ancestral - oops, astral twins of David and Hallie?  Will there be other astral twins?  Will Gerard go around again and again (like a carousel) recreating the events of 1840?

How did Quentin escape his fate in the original 1970, when Barnabas and Julia weren't there to save him?  I'm figuring he clawed his way through the coffin and up to the surface.  That should be enough to drive any man insane - although I guess that even in this revised version of 1970 we are to gather that Quentin is now insane.

When Julia said, "I'm in the 19th century!" what I wanted her to say was, "I'm in the 19th century again!"  Oh, well, I do like it that the Kathy Cody character is always the one who is first seen when one exits the staircase of time.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:15:03 PM »
Lydia.... I liked pondering the possibility that 1995 ghost Carrie remembered having met Julia in 1970 and saved her with the Staircase then, and decided to do the same thing in 1995.   In DS's convoluted sense of how time works, maybe Carrie even remembered Julia from 1840 in 1970, and helped someone she'd come to like.

It's likely (I think) that Gerard wasn't nearly so PO'd at our Quentin in 1970 the "first time around", since B&J hadn't been agitating for Q to wake up and helkp to stop Gerard.   Maybe he originally just planned for the zombies to take care of him along with the others, but when Q started actively fighting his plans (beyond just making out with Daphne), that triggered a more focused response from Gerard.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 01:08:12 AM »
9/24/70

I don't particularly like JS voiceovers just as I don't particularly like Clarice Blackburn's; however they are both great actors!
Apparently supernatural creatures someone communicate with others through there portraits!  Cool shot of the unmarked grave as the camera closes in on it!

LOL—Quentin apparently has had to have a few fillings! Perhaps the portrait doesn't protect his teeth?  I know I know I am being picky!   The coffin looks modern to me but perhaps I am wrong.

“You mean the discussion—destruction of Collinwood?” Great blooper!

This is a very fast paced episode. The tension on the set it palpable in my opinion with lots of action. Everyone seems nervous but I would be too with all this going on with such primitive equipment.  Of course we know there had to be a few cuts or pre tapes for the room to change and for there to be a closet when Barnabas looks for the stairway!

DO NOT TRUST QUENTIN! Why did they? I find it very contrived that they did!

OOH zombies!  I find this episode to be very creepy regardless of the bloopers and stuff.

I love how Julia keeps grabbing onto Barnabas, which I am sure is GH’s doing and not written into the script!

Very very creepy scene as the zombies walk into Collinwood and I almost excepted that to be the ending of the episode.
Wonder where Liz and Carolyn are? 

WOW those zombies are hard at work! The destruction of Collinwood was cool.

I too liked that again Kathy Cody was the first person to be seen after the escape through the staircase in time.  I for one love the music playing as Julia is walking on the staircase!  The staircase is my favorite time travel method!
AWESOME AWESOME episode!  I am sure it's in my top ten, although I have never made a DS list!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »
I think this zombies-in-Collinwood scene was better than the one with Jeb's zombies, because of the lack of music.