Author Topic: Collinwood Illuminated!  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Re: Collinwood Illuminated!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2002, 04:00:39 PM »
Are you putting this photo on a t-shirt?

I hadn't given any thought to putting it on a shirt, but I certainly could. If that is indeed something that interest you (or anyone else) Vam, let me know what size you want me to make, and I can deliver it to you at the Halloween party in Tarrytown.   :-)

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2002, 01:55:56 AM »
I hadn't given any thought to putting it on a shirt, but I certainly could. If that is indeed something that interest you (or anyone else) Vam, let me know what size you want me to make, and I can deliver it to you at the Halloween party in Tarrytown.   :-)

Actually, I have a nice original design idea for the Halloweenathon. I have done a sample on a  t-shirt, key ring, and a clock. Now, it is deciding which item would be a  good sell at the event. My guess it would be the t-shirts or key rings. The shirts would sell for $15.00 and the key rings for $5.00.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2002, 02:13:21 AM »
There is also a great shot of the house completely lit up on the "DS On Location" MPI video. We never see the house illuminated like this in the stills they used on the show.

I'm wondering about the portion of the house (in this photo) to the extreme right. From the virtual tour that was posted awhile back I was under the impression that this part of the house is closed off. How did your friend manage to get into it?

Also, you said you had "permission from the owners" - do you mean the Carey family itself, or the Salve Regina college, who leases the building?

It's my dream to visit there someday. (sigh.)

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2002, 04:18:58 PM »
I'm wondering about the portion of the house (in this photo) to the extreme right. From the virtual tour that was posted awhile back I was under the impression that this part of the house is closed off. How did your friend manage to get into it?

That portion of the house is presently used as a recreational room for the students that are housed there. In recent years it has been occupied by; pin ball machines, a pool table, fooseball, and several vending machines.
The parts of the house that are closed off to the students are Cecelia Hall & the wing the Carey's maintain as a private residence when they are there. Fans would best recognize Cecelia Hall has being the part of the house located behind the famous front doors of Collinwood. (we were allowed access to Cecelia Hall on our visits. It is used primarily by the music department, and they host concerts there from time to time) In the photo I posted, Cecelia Hall is the extreme lower level of the house that is lit in the photo. The wing the Carey's use when they are staying there is the unlit second floor section in the upper left of the house above Cecelia Hall.

Also, you said you had "permission from the owners" - do you mean the Carey family itself, or the Salve Regina college, who leases the building?

It's my dream to visit there someday. (sigh.)

I received permission from the owners.... the Carey's. Along with some fellow DS friends, I had befriended the Carey's during a 1993 visit to the house. Afterwards, I kept in contact with them and in 1995 arranged to bring a group of friends up after the NY festival. Mr. and Mrs. Carey couldn't have been more gracious, and Mrs. Carey offered to give my group a walking tour of the house, explaining its legacy along the way. I brought groups up again in 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999, but have not been up there since.

The Carey's have been so kind in allowing our visits over the years. Salva Regina's security force patrols the grounds regularly,and Mrs. Carey has always made sure they were alerted to when my friends and I were going to be there,and that we were to have free run of the house & grounds. We have had pizza parties in the house, watched Dark Shadows videos in a darkened room, posed for photos looking out the tower windows, flown kites on the grounds, and I have even played tennis on the tennis courts at Seaview.:-)

But the most fun has been walking around and exploring the inside of the house. It has so many levels with a bevy of "nooks and crannies". Watching the recent episodes with David and Amy exploring the westwing reminded me of my friends and I exploring the house on our visits up there. As a matter of fact, on one of our explorations we came across a maid who warned us of a room that a female student had supposedly committed suicide in several years ago, and that from time to time she would hear noises come from this now closed off room. Sp00ky huh? ;-)
                              Bob

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2002, 09:23:59 PM »
That portion of the house is presently used as a recreational room for the students that are housed there. In recent years it has been occupied by; pin ball machines, a pool table, fooseball, and several vending machines.

Hi, Bob!

In 2000, the room [on the far right] was closed for renovation, as was the ballroom (which was a lot closer to completion).  The vending machines, pool table, etc. had been moved to the other side of the house just off the kitchen; it's an area where the students can also watch TV and do their laundry.  As extensively as the solarium was torn up I'm thinking they weren't restoring it with the intention of turning it back into a rec room, but I'm sure I won't be getting back there for at least another year though I'm anxious to see how the 2 rooms will look.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2002, 02:10:49 PM »
Bob, how lucky you were!  The picture is truly beautiful.  I planned on going back down to Newport in a few weeks. At least I hope too.  I have walked around the grounds several times but have never been inside.  It is something i would really like to do.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2002, 02:38:03 PM »
    So beautiful .....Looks like Christmas at Collinwood

agree makes a beaut iful Christmas card Bob!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2002, 09:54:02 PM »
Gorgeous photo, Bob!  Many thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2002, 12:33:46 AM »
Hi, Bob!

In 2000, the room [on the far right] was closed for renovation, as was the ballroom (which was a lot closer to completion).  The vending machines, pool table, etc. had been moved to the other side of the house just off the kitchen;

Ah, thanks for the update Midnite. I don't go up there for a couple years and they start rearranging the furniture on me.  ;-)

As extensively as the solarium was torn up I'm thinking they weren't restoring it with the intention of turning it back into a rec room

Oh I hope you are right. I really need to try and give the Carey's a call to see how they are,and see if I can get the 411 on what the Solarium is going to be used for.

I'm glad you all enjoyed the night photo of Seaview. Your responses motivated me to scan some 40 photos today from my past visits to the house in 93 & 96 thru 99. If MsCriseyde gets the time, we hope to have a web page of them up at some point over the weekend.  A handful of our fellow board members have made the trip up to Seaview over the years, and are featured in some of the photos. They include; mfmdpt, Lorraine, Sheenasma, Guy, Dean and Gothick. Here is a look at the Solarium pre-renovation circa 1996. I can envision Roger and Burke engaged in a game of pool, with brandy snifters resting on the rail of the pool table. :-) Bob

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2002, 02:20:27 AM »
I'm glad you all enjoyed the night photo of Seaview. Your responses motivated me to scan some 40 photos today from my past visits to the house in 93 & 96 thru 99. If MsCriseyde gets the time, we hope to have a web page of them up at some point over the weekend.

Yes, right now MsCriseyde has gotten herself into teaching remedial freshman comp, which means she is grading a stack of papers with such nuggets of wisdom as "America will move on to become still the best country in the United States." (My hand to God, someone really wrote that.)

It's a slow process. Grade one paper. Bang head against wall for 15 minutes. Apply ice for 20 minutes. Grade another paper.

There's also a whopping stack of photos of Selby from this year's Fest that Sheenasma sent me to upload. I've not gotten to those either.

Maybe scan a photo should be entered as a step between apply ice and grade another paper . . .

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2002, 03:29:56 AM »
Wow Bob next time anyone goes there let me know it is so easy for me to get there and would love to meet
some other forum members!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2002, 03:52:49 AM »
Fabulous picture!! Absolutely exquisite!  Thanks for posting it, Bobubas.

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!