Author Topic: (***DEFINITELY CHECK THIS OUT NOW**) Austin Live Theatre: Fan-Produced DS webseries beginning in January  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Austin Live Theatre: Upcoming: Fan-Produced webseries 'Dark Shadows,' beginning in January 2011

The trailer doesn't exactly give that much of an indication of what what it will be like. But it might be worth a look once it gets going...

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Austin Live Theatre: Fan-Produced DS webseries beginning in January
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
Hi MB   thanks for the  link how cool is that!    You are one in  a million!
                   Love   Anne [hall2_kiss]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Austin Live Theatre: Fan-Produced DS webseries beginning in January
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 12:19:24 AM »
I checked in on this today just to see if there have been any new developments and was quite surprised to discover that apparently they've already posted the first ep even though it was indicated that it wouldn't come out until January.

Check out: Dark Shadows: The Web Series

Or go directly to the YouTube video: Dark Shadows The Web Series Episode 1

I must say it's much better than I was expecting. And that's not to slight the people involved, but one never knows what to expect with these sorts of Web Series.

Here are a few observations thus far:[spoiler]Fans who certainly know who they are will no doubt be thrilled to hear the new Liz utter the retort "Because I chose to do so."  [santa_wink]
It's great that Art Wallace gets his due.  [santa_thumb]
The casting seems quite good.  [santa_thumb]
Apparently the new Maggie is so talented that she can prepare instant sandwiches.  [santa_grin]
Love the portrait of the Collins ancestor with the powdered wig.  [santa_wink][/spoiler]

Some things that are different from the original series:[spoiler]Sarah's Ghost is already at Collinwood before the arrival of Barnabas - but she was also already at Collinwood in the '91 series.
David seems older than 10 - but that just means that his pranks can be all the more, uh, advanced.  [santa_wink][/spoiler]

All in all I'm really looking forward to Ep #2 on January 14th...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I continue to be intrigued by how things will play out with this series. It's interesting how they're combining elements from both the very first original DS eps, with Vicki's arrival at Collinwood, along with those from around Ep #195, with the second installment's introduction of Jason and Willie and their arrival at Collinwood. It's also nice to see them using music from the original series as well as the '91.

If you haven't checked out the first two installments, I really suggest that you do...

David

The production values are amazing!
But I expected better acting from members of a live theatre company.

Still, I'm intrigued too.
I think I'll give them some coverage in Scary Monsters & Videoscope Mags--supportive coverage of course.
Efforts like these help keep DS alive.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I really should be working, but I just looked at the first ep. This definitely has some possibilities! They're moving the story along in some interesting ways. Guess I'll treat myself to ep. 2 with lunch.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The webseries is really good and a lotta fun!  It's interesting that they intend to use totally different actors/actresses to perform the 1795 characters (I imagine save Barnabas [and Vicki, if they go that sent-back-in-time route]), rather than using the ones doing the current-day characters.

Gerard

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I too am intrigued, but I wish the writing had been a bit more original. It relies too heavily on memorable quotes from the orignal.  Still, there's a great deal to like about it so far.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Any way we can move this thread to the current "Current Talk" folder? Although I'm still trying to get used to the idea of Carolyn as a brunette, I'm really enjoying the Web series and I'm just afraid it'll get lost here.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The Web series isn't "official" DS, so talking about it can't be on the Current Talk board. But the topic shouldn't get lost here. In fact, if there's enough interest in the series, this topic can be stickied so that it will always display as one of the first topics at the top of the board just like the topic devoted to the Big Finish audio dramas does...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Ah, I get it--thanks! That sounds fine to me. I'm still learning the ways of this corner of the DS universe.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Episode 3 is now up and definitely has features of interest, including some interesting special effects. Willie is pretty funny. Roger is a slightly different take on the character--I'm curious to see how this role will develop. Some of the acting is still a bit stiff, but I suppose they'll grow into the roles as they go on. Nice use of green screen throughout!

A couple of awkward but endearing moments in the script when some characters don't seem sure which comes first, bedtime or dinner. Sort of takes me back....

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks for the heads up. I had looked on Friday but it wasn't up yet.

Some interesting twists that are different from the original series. And yes, that is an interesting special effect. The series is starting to develop its own identity...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Just for a lark I have just watched episodes 1 and 2.  Carla Daws as Liz and the actor who plays Roger seem pretty good.  The production really needs some help with pacing though.  It all seems under-rehearsed and sometimes dodgy.

The Willie makes me think of Craig Slocum.  And the Jason sways and pirouettes so extraordinarily that I am reminded of a line in The Man who came to dinner about ZaSu Pitts--my apologies for going all esoteric again.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
And now I watched episode 3.  Mrs. Johnson in this version appears to be British.   Perhaps she'll get the movie Stokes line about the Bromwells in Cadogan Square?

G.