Author Topic: Back to those "new" tags  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Back to those "new" tags
« on: September 14, 2002, 09:35:58 AM »
Despite your assurance that the archive was separate from the regular posts, the reason I didn't "mark all topics read" on the main board was in case it would also affect the archive.

So, last weekend I finally had a chance to get back and check out my new items on the archive and then I DID do the "all topics" on the main board.  I suppose it's too soon to see if that solved the problem.

Meanwhile, the archive itself still has ITS "new tags."  If I actually enter the archive, they are all gone.  But, the main title showing on the home page, and, when I expand it, the individuals categories, all indicate new.  Each time I've clicked on the "mark all topics" in the archive itself.  Once I actually enter it, then none of them show the "new" - but it really seems weird that the main listing always does.

Especially now with the topics contracted, the main title bar always has the "new" and since one has to expand it to check out the dates on the various topics, there's no other way to know if there really IS something new.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Back to those "new" tags
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 10:18:22 PM »
Despite your assurance that the archive was separate from the regular posts, the reason I didn't "mark all topics read" on the main board was in case it would also affect the archive.

Meanwhile, the archive itself still has ITS "new tags."  If I actually enter the archive, they are all gone.  But, the main title showing on the home page, and, when I expand it, the individuals categories, all indicate new.  Each time I've clicked on the "mark all topics" in the archive itself.  Once I actually enter it, then none of them show the "new" - but it really seems weird that the main listing always does.

This situation isn't as weird as it seems because the very fact that the forum's system and the archive's system are separate is what's causing it. As I've mentioned numerous times on the forum, and most recently in a response I gave to you concerning collapsing categories, the display of the new posts icon in the gateway is an issue I've yet to resolve:

As I stated above, the point of collapsing categories is to allow the BoardIndex to download quicker. This in turn will save bandwidth, which is definitely an important issue on the forum. If there have been no new posts on any of the boards in an individual category (which you'll note in the example I've provided would be indicated by the no new posts icon), there's really no point in displaying the details for the boards in that particular category. Once I get around to correcting the display of the new posts icon for the Members' Gateway, being able to collapse that category would come in very handy because it's all but a certainty that new posts will not be made in the archive every day. ;)

Especially now with the topics contracted, the main title bar always has the "new" and since one has to expand it to check out the dates on the various topics, there's no other way to know if there really IS something new.

Actually, there is. As I've also mentioned to you:

However, clicking "Mark ALL Posts As Read" on the BoardIndex will stop the "New Posts" icon from displaying in front of the four categories in the gateway until an actual new post has been made in one of them. ;) Unfortunately, though, until I get a chance to coordinate the two systems, people will have to "Mark ALL Posts As Read" on the main forum after reading any new posts made in the archive to remove the "New Posts" tags in front of the four categories in the gateway. :(

The truth is that I haven't put too much effort into resolving this because it's something that's very complicated to coordinate, and about a month ago I read on YaBB's Web site that they're currently in the process of coming up with a fix for it themselves. ;)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2002, 12:24:24 AM »
Thank you for the answer!  I hadn't recalled your mentioning that the archive part hadn't been done.
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2002, 10:07:22 AM »
Maybe I'm still not understanding your explanations, but I can't believe I'm the only one with a problem!!

My interpretation of your previous replies is that "Marking all topics as read" on the main board will prevent the "new" tags from returning on the old posts.  But, that it hasn't been fixed like that for the Archive yet.

Meanwhile, I keep getting all those old "new" items and have to keep marking them as read.  When I first come, I don't want the "real" new ones to be marked as read, so I can't click on that.

Today they were all back again.  I noticed that a couple of the fixed topics at the top of the main discussion board said new, even though their last date was some time ago.  So, I clicked on thosed 2 to "get rid of them."  That's when I figured all the others were probably back, so before checking for my real new posts, I brought up Luciaphil and Robservations and then the Discussion Archives and sure enough, they were filled with new items.

Even after eliminating all of that, it took forever for the new items to appear.  It turned out that all of the old posts from the main discussions were also brought up - more than 8000 posts!!!!!

Sorry to be so long-winded with all of this!!  Anyway, #1 - why doesn't my "Marking all posts as read" on the main board fix it, as I thought you said it would?  And, #2 - why doesn't anyone else have this problem?  I can't imagine that no one else would mention it if it happened to them.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2002, 10:29:27 AM »
Anyway, #1 - why doesn't my "Marking all posts as read" on the main board fix it, as I thought you said it would?  And, #2 - why doesn't anyone else have this problem?  I can't imagine that no one else would mention it if it happened to them.

I'm pretty sure that the new tags have returned for you this time because you've upgraded your browser. Once I'd reinstalled my browser software after I had that power failure on September 15th, all the new tags came back for me too. But I haven't seen them again since I clicked "Mark ALL Posts As Read" on the BoardIndex.

As to why no one else seems to have the problem - or at least hasn't mentioned it to me or Midnite, I have no clue. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you're still using Win95, but I honestly can't imagine how...

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 08:16:09 PM »
I knew it!!  I saw one "spirit" listed with me and I had a feeling it was you.  The previous couple of nights you responded to me shortly after my questions.  So, I stayed on while doing other things and from time to time clicked "refresh" to see if there was an answer.  I finally had to turn it off, and sure enough you responded shortly afterwards!!!

I'll obviously have to wait a while to see if that's the explanation, but I have consistently had the "news" return even before the upgrade.  I'll let you know. :)
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2002, 06:56:08 AM »
They're b-a-a-a-a-a-a-ck!!!

Fortunately, you've removed enough current items to the discussion archive that I didn't have to worry about getting those.  I had to click on each category - the Discussion Archives, Luciaphil (nothing was new there for real), Robservations (only the current day and tomorrow were new and I'd obviously remember that), Why Register, Testing (I read the couple of real new items) and then in each clicked "mark as read" and finally searched for all the new items, which by then were only the current discussion items that I wanted.

However, that's certainly a lot of extra work just to get started!!!

Any idea why I keep getting them?  Could it be some setting on my system?  Again, I assume if it happened to others, there would be additional comments about this, so I'm assume it's just me!!!

Why me?!!!!
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2002, 06:57:55 AM »
Hi MB!!

I don't know if you missed seeing the above post (since you've replied to lots of other items) or just don't have anything else to say on the subject!! :)

By the way, as to that late night update - sometimes I do most of the stuff a bit earlier and then just come back around 2 to catch up on anything new.  And, on the weekend there's more time for things, so if you did on a Friday or Saturday night (Sat or Sun morning), at least there would be more time the next day to catch up on anything missed.

I have no idea if this is something important that you want to do as soon as possible or something more general that could wait a few days until the weekend - just thought I'd suggest it!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2002, 08:08:33 AM »
I don't know if you missed seeing the above post (since you've replied to lots of other items) or just don't have anything else to say on the subject!! :)

Actually, I am fresh out of ideas. However, I've posted a message on YaBB's mod site explaining your situation. So far no one else has any idea why you're experiencing the problem you are, and no one seems to think the fact that you're still using Win95 has anything to do with it. So, at least I'm not alone in having no explanation for you...

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2002, 10:14:56 AM »
Thank you!  It would be nice if someone could come up with something.

As to that new URL - I couldn't figure it out, it seemed to be the same as I was using.  I finally realized the only difference was the / at the end and then it worked.
Josette