Author Topic: Biggest Pet Peeves  (Read 4694 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Biggest Pet Peeves
« on: September 12, 2002, 10:09:15 PM »
What are some of your biggest Pet Peeves concerning Dark Shadows? I'm not talking about broader areas like weak writing, bad acting or crummy story lines, but the little things that really gnaw at you.

For me it's when they keep changing the 1795 dates. Vicki goes to 1795, lives thru the beginning of 1796, yet dates of deaths and other incidents we saw happen in 1796 are referred to as happening in 1795, and then later, in 1797!

The other thing that drives me nuts is when people in Collinwood hear a car pull up to the front of the house, and they look out the back window (in the drawing room) to see who it is. Hello! How can they see the front of the house by looking out the back of the house? GRRRR!!!!!

What little things like that drive you nuts?

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Biggest Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 10:29:33 PM »

The clock in the foyer, when it chimes a number of times. We had a chime clock in our house when I was growing up, it chimed every 15 minutes, and to this day, I hate chiming clocks, would never have one!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 12:34:31 AM »
It's not really a peeve, I actually love it whenever the women are shown in bed at 3 a.m. wearing full street makeup PLUS high heels!  I remember one bedtime episode in 1967 when Liz and Carolyn between them seemed to have lacquered their respective dos solid with hairspray before retiring.  I imagine Liz sitting up in bed, spritzing away, in a huge and growing cloud like the fumes of joss sticks around a Chinese Buddha.

Yes, I know I have a vivid imagination.  My Mom has been complaining about it ever since I was a wee one.

Gothick

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 04:20:19 AM »
I don't really hate this...but...like today.  The clock showed that it was 4:00 a.m.  There was Roger and Carolyn sitting up talking.  Then Roger says "..Well, it's getting late".  Hello!  It's 4:00 in the morning.  You haven't even got your p.j.'s on yet.  

Ah Ha, Carolyn did have on the lime green skirt and sweater though.  She's such a clothes wearer.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline jthomas_123

• Junior Poster
  • I love Maggie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2002, 04:38:07 AM »
One thing that bugs me sometimes, is when they show the Estate and it's day time, but when they show someone outside it's night, or at least it looks like it.

Another thing that bugs me, is how there are no people in the town. When they go To the antique shop or somewhere downtown, there are no people around, that is one empty town!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2002, 05:44:08 AM »
Crowing roosters on an estate that most likely does not keep fowl.

Women who go out strolling through the forest in the small hours of the AM and come back immaculately clean.

A certain afghan.

:)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Connie

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2002, 07:08:07 AM »
Crowing roosters on an estate that most likely does not keep fowl.

YES.  This very thing was mentioned not 2 nights ago when we were watching the tape for the day.
I've never seen any signs of farm animals at Collinwood.  (Also can't recall Mrs. Johnson ever walking in with a basket of eggs).

This is probably really dumb, but ya know what bugs the HELL out of me?  That wabbling bannister at the Old House.  You barely touch it, and it moves.  It happens in every time period.  You'd think someone could have nailed it down a little better or something.

-CLC
Never one to complain

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2002, 07:39:56 AM »
Blue candles in 1795. I don't think they bothered with dyeing them then. Lit candles in a deserted room.

I too love the women in full makeup anytime, day or night! Another one I love is entire wings of Collinwood suddenly appearing. David mentioned the other day that ONE wing, the west wing, was even shut off. Then out of the blue there comes the EAST wing when the west wing had been done to death.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2002, 09:48:40 AM »
The candles get me too.. in deserted rooms.. in basements where no one had been...in mausoleums...everywhere!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2002, 10:10:06 AM »
How everyone manages to survive on such little sleep and still look good is beyond me.

The other night when Vicky & Jeff decided to get married at 3AM and went and got Liz to be their witness! And God only knows how they managed to get the local Jusitce of the Peace to get up out of bed at that hour to marry them! [hdscrt]

In 1795 when we see Josette sleeping in bed with her hair all done up so nicely with curls & ringlets. Now to get a hairdo to look like that in the morning one would have to put alot of work into the night before, such as setting it with curlers or whatever they used back then to get the effect.

The only woman we've ever seen who actually looked as if she just crawled out of bed was Mrs.Johnson when she answered the door one night and her hair was all hanging down loose & long.

Another thing that gets me is all the dogs howling at night when a vampire is near.  Are there that many loose dogs roaming around Collinwood?
"Calamity Jane"

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2002, 10:20:55 PM »
David was bugging the crap outta me as he lectured Amy on ghosts. "Ghosts only come out at night," he tells her. So has he already forgotten about Sarah?!

[huhb]

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2002, 10:45:39 PM »

I don't think the ghosts at Collinwood care whether it's day or night. A haunting they will go.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2002, 11:35:35 PM »
The subject of Windcliff's distance from Collinsport came up on another List and I realized that is really my biggest pet peeve. Where is that place anyway [hdscrt]

It is supposed 100 miles away, yet everyone who goes there and later "escapes" makes it back to Collinwood with no problem and with every hair in place--Maggie, Liz, Amy, David, Hallie. Are these people all seasoned hitchhikers or what?

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2002, 11:51:59 PM »
This all reminds me of my dear departed father, annoying the crap out of my sainted mother by sitting beside her and disparaging the goings-on on "As The World Turns".

She would fix him with a withering stare and tell him "William, you just DON'T know HOW to watch a Soap Opera!!"

Raineypark, who would like to use that Telephone to the Great Beyond right now!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2002, 12:11:08 AM »
yes, windcliffe supposedly being "about 100 miles" away, and whenever someone escapes, they are there in what seems like minutes, and they are always found "in the woods just outside collinwood"...and another one, more funny than annoying, is whenever an old door, or gate, is being opened, its the same darn sound effect as when they open a coffin, and half the time, its not coordinated, as they have stopped the opening, the sounds just keep on coming.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.