Author Topic: Tan shoes in December  (Read 5450 times)

Offline CandleLighter

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tan shoes in December
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2002, 09:51:34 AM »
 Every time I see this post this song goes thru my head...anyone else?

He wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces
A polka dot vest and man, oh, man
Tan shoes with pink shoelaces
And a big Panama with a purple hat band

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2002, 01:58:02 PM »
Sheenasma,

Are you, by any chance, related to Imelda Marcos?

I personally resort to my school marm lace up shoes for all dressy occassions here in Hooterville, and that's because I am a school marm.

FMPs for the theatre and all dressy occasions in dazzling urban locations, though mine are not pumps per se. I go for the strappy high-heeled hooker look.

Beyond that, I believe that sueded pigskin work boots complement any and all outfits. When accompanied by a NASCAR cap, they also scare the hell out of any students who come to my office hours. ;)

LOL...no, but there is this woman I know, lives in LA, pretty sure she could add to all I had to say.

And never undersestimate the high heeled strappy hooker look, because see, I know this other woman, and once, while wearing them in Hartford, Connecticut, couple of business men asked her and some chick in crocheted mules if they were busy for the evening.

That is a true story, but I am going to protect the innocent here.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2002, 02:17:07 PM »
"I don't understand".......what is the history behind this "ban" on white after Labor Day rule?

?!?

White before Memorial Day, or after Labor Day is verboten.  No white shoes, white bag, white dress, skirt or pants.  White blouse or sweater with dark skirt or pants is okay, though.  This came from on high, via my Irish grandmother.

Ladies wore gloves and a hat to church, gents always removed thier hats before entering any building.  A lady never bared her arms in church.  A lady always wore stockings.

One always has proper funeral attire cleaned and pressed in the closet, ready for service should the occassion arise.

One never wore diamonds, aside from their wedding jewelry, before the cocktail hour.  One never partook before the cocktail hour.  Here the logic gets a little fuzzy, becauase apparently if you got blind drunk on a daily basis, but waited til the appropriate time, you didn't have a problem there.

After 30 a lady never wears pants or has hair longer than shoulder length.  This is going to prove problematic someday...I get to the afterlife, if she is hanging with her friends, she is going to pretend she doesn't know me.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Connie

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2002, 02:26:53 PM »
One never partook before the cocktail hour.  Here the logic gets a little fuzzy, becauase apparently if you got blind drunk on a daily basis, but waited til the appropriate time, you didn't have a problem there.

After 30 a lady never wears pants or has hair longer than shoulder length.  This is going to prove problematic someday...I get to the afterlife, if she is hanging with her friends, she is going to pretend she doesn't know me.

Oh shhhhhhhhhhhhit!  I'm gonna wet my pants.
You are hysterical.

-CLC

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2002, 03:08:11 PM »
very funny but now i feel anything goes even the showing of certain straps(those unmentionables but it has three letters) under halter tops. the nuns would have beat us with sticks(oh well they did that anyway)
if we tried to show up for school like some of these kids in middle school!plus yhey are wearing colored panties
under WHITE PANTS the brighter the better!(of course they are sent home)What is the world coming too!i mean we wore strange clothes in 70s but at least we tried to burn our bras never let them show under clothes!  Really! LOL

jennifer
going back for nap now[sleep] after chat last night!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2002, 09:04:18 PM »
This shoe thread (or should I say string tee hee) is fascinating.  I'm no Imelda myself but that may be due only to financial constraints [greed] since I can identify with the love of shoes.  Really enjoyed your insights on the subject Shennasma.  As to DS and shoes most of the time I rarely notice what they're wearing.  Except for one scene in 1795 when Barnabas was creeping down the hall toward the study and they did a close-up of his boots.  I remember thinking they seemed realistic.  It seems to me that if the costumers had been up on all the styles to any great extent at some point they would have had to feature Carolyn in some short Go Go boots and one of those little poufy hats with a bill (I just saw a hat like that at the mall the other day BTW! ~ what a flashback!)  Even I had both of those items.  

Though I have enjoyed lots of styles over the years I tend to remember certain types with genuine fondness (mostly due to comfort and how well they last) and try to find reasonable facsimiles as they wear out.  I've loved plain white Reeboks since I first discovered them back in the early 80's at the dawn of the leather sport shoe craze.  I always have at least two pair in my closet.  I also remember this great pair of Aigner oxfords I had back in the late ¢â‚¬Ëœ70's.  Not only were they comfortable but also they made my feet look more like a 6.5 than a 7.5, which for some reason I thought, was really cool at the time (I wear 8's now and couldn't care less how big my feet look as long as they don't hurt).  For comfortable, well-made and long lasting casual shoes I rely on Clark.  I have on a pair of huarache sandals right now that I have been living in most of the summer - like walking on clouds!  And speaking of long-lasting and comfortable I've got my original Birkenstock's that are at least 15 years old and going strong.  Oh, I know, they aren't the best looking of the lot but they feel sooooooo good.  I'm pretty sure they even helped me get rid of a heal spur once too.  Love the look of heels but after having broken both ankles [bawl] - one of them twice and the other at the same time as the second break (please, call me Grace) - I just don't take the chance with them very often.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2002, 09:25:11 PM »
LOL...no, but there is this woman I know, lives in LA, pretty sure she could add to all I had to say.

Hee hee, you have no idea how much I've enjoyed everything you've had to say.  Then again, you probably do. ;)

Last Wednesday, after reading through the posts on the board, including the one about Icky Vicki's tan shoes that started all this, I was feeling bummed and couldn't bear to be near a TV so of course I went shoe shopping.  I saw some shortish slouch boots (I SO agree with your assessment-- they're hot) but when I pointed them out the salesperson asked, "The tan ones?" and I had to explain that hello, they're light brown, NOT tan, thank you.  He must've thought I was the biggest nut.  (Defensive much?)

And never undersestimate the high heeled strappy hooker look, because see, I know this other woman, and once, while wearing them in Hartford, Connecticut, couple of business men asked her and some chick in crocheted mules if they were busy for the evening.

That is a true story, but I am going to protect the innocent here.

I love it!!!

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2002, 04:33:31 AM »
White before Memorial Day, or after Labor Day is verboten.  No white shoes, white bag, white dress, skirt or pants.  White blouse or sweater with dark skirt or pants is okay, though.  This came from on high, via my Irish grandmother.

Ladies wore gloves and a hat to church, gents always removed thier hats before entering any building.  A lady never bared her arms in church.  A lady always wore stockings.

One always has proper funeral attire cleaned and pressed in the closet, ready for service should the occassion arise.

Now I can sleep at night, instead of wondering.  LOL.  ;D

Connie

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2002, 12:46:25 PM »

Well it's reassuring to know that you gals have another line of work to fall back on -- you know -- just in case you lose your day jobs or something.  LOL

-CLC  ;D  [thumb]

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2002, 04:21:24 PM »
I remember in 1976 standing in the cemetery two days before Christmas at my Mother's funeral and seeing my sister-in-law in her open-toed sling back heels standing in snow up to her ankles.  She's always dressed to the nines, very attractive.  But I thought that must have been really cold.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2002, 07:15:28 PM »
You know Midnite nothing cheers me up more than
going out shopping for SHOES!!!!

jennifer

and Connie read Shelly Winters's book about FMP"s(high heel open toe)
just want to say the p stands for pump and the rest i'm too ladylike to say!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Connie

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2002, 01:03:07 AM »
and Connie read Shelly Winters's book about FMP"s(high heel open toe)
just want to say the p stands for pump and the rest i'm too ladylike to say!

What's the book title?
Thanks for the info - now I know I don't need them.  (Phew!)  Talk about uncomfortable....I'd rather go barefoot.  LOL

-CLC

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2002, 03:19:08 AM »
What woman in her right mind does not love shoes!  Like Castlebee I have Clark sandles and love them.  I worked all over Disney World in them.  I think I was the only one in my family not to have sore feet.  Naturaliers are also wonderful-- I am scouting out a pair of black short boots, waiting for the sale.  Easy Spirits are compy too.

Birdie--Filene's coupon sale here I come.....
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2002, 04:23:50 AM »
What woman in her right mind does not love shoes!

The most expensive pair of shoes I have is a pair of Chanel (with logo) black suede loafers, for $500. I have too many pairs of shoes, more than I will ever wear. I like my plaid Tommy Hilfiger tennis shoes, or Polo Sport. Cool people wear those!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2002, 05:39:04 AM »
What woman in her right mind does not love shoes!  .....

ME!!!

I hate shoes.  I hate SHOPPING for shoes, I hate having to PAY for shoes, but mostly I hate WEARING shoes.  My mother called me "The Barefoot Contessa" my whole life.

Mom, on the other hand, couldn't pass a shoe store without dragging me inside.  If finances hadn't been so tight back then, she'd have owned a world class collection of shoes.

My daughter seems to have inherited THAT particular family trait straight from her Grandmother! [rleyeb]

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas