Author Topic: Post Fest...One Year Ago Today  (Read 5079 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Post Fest...One Year Ago Today
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2002, 05:22:54 AM »

This article is just devastating.  Like many others, until recently, I had always assumed there had been ample time for everyone at the Marriott to get out safely.  Obviously not the case.  It's easy to understand how the Tall Ships bar was the only escape route.

I am anxious to read this article, but at the moment don't have time to go through the registration process -- complicated by the fact that I know I've registered with the NYTimes at least twice before, but have no idea now what my password and/or other information might have been.  I really, really hate that system!

Not long ago I was searching through my wallet for something and came across this.  I can't find the words to express how I felt.  All I can say is, I had to run to the bathroom.

I still have my room key for the WTC Marriott.  I had locked myself out on my last day there, Monday after the festival, and had to get a new key.

The Marriott employee told me I could keep the original key (which I found in my room) as a souvenir.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2002, 05:45:38 AM »
I am anxious to read this article, but at the moment don't have time to go through the registration process -- complicated by the fact that I know I've registered with the NYTimes at least twice before, but have no idea now what my password and/or other information might have been.  I really, really hate that system!

I just sent it to you, Vam.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2002, 06:05:45 AM »
On Sunday morning during fest weekend, I met some good friends in the courtyard.  We got doughnuts and coffee from Krispy Kreme, sat down and talked ... I recall looking up at the Twin Towers for a few moments, admiring how beautiful they were

Robin, I remember that Sunday morning with you and the rest of our group.   John in SC took some neat photos of us and dramatic views of the towers.

Until the 2001 Fest, my only encounters with the WTC had been fast and fleeting.  As a lifelong Chicagoan, I never imagined that I could actually stay at a hotel, attend something as carefree as a Fest, AND find an oasis of sorts -- of all places, in Manhattan!

I never imagined that Sunday morning in the courtyard, with the two mighty towers guarding those of us strolling in between, could be such an escape from my daily grind in a smaller city.  Tranquil New York?  No way! 

I also recall, now naively, being impressed with the security procedures in the WTC tower lobbies.  Everyone entering -- employees and visitors alike -- had to show some kind of ID to get through the security turnstyles.  I remember thinking how elaborate, necessary, and effective that had to be.  

Like VAM, I remember quickly establishing a morning routine at the 27th floor fitness center, easily the nicest and largest one in any hotel I have seen.   The river view as I pedaled on my Life Cycle was spectacular.  In the days immediately after the tragedy, I recall seeing footage of debris consisting an entire interior wall behind a glass case housing wall clocks that displayed the times around the world -- nearly intact!  This appears to be the wall at the entrance to the fitness center, which must have "surfed" some 20+ stories down from the 27th floor.

I wish I could remember more of the posts from that thread at this time last year, but I do recall remarking that the kind and supportive outpouring transformed our members from a group of fans into a family.

Ben

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2002, 05:24:51 AM »
   I just sent it to you, Vam.

Carol,

That was SO thoughtful of you.  I hope I didn't sound too whiny in my post.

I'm always short of time in the computer lab and can't get everything done I'd like too in the short time I have to be here.

I'll print out the article to read at home.

Again, thanks for taking the time and effort of doing this.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2002, 04:55:18 AM »
The NYPost printed this today on a firefighter who saved lives at the Marriott Hotel.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/57809.htm
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2002, 05:35:13 PM »
thanks for the link.  I stayed at the Marriott during the 2001 festival also, but had only read and heard about the twin towers - nothing about the hotel after 9/11
The NYPost printed this today on a firefighter who saved lives at the Marriott Hotel.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/57809.htm

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT for ms_hoffman
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2002, 04:49:32 AM »
ms_hoffman,

Hi!  I've been editing your posts to separate your message from the quote info that comes after it, but I haven't modified the one above so you could see how your words and the quote have been running together... and I'm guessing you're probably not even aware of it.  But if you could hit the Enter key after you finish typing your message, it would be much appreciated.

Or, to get rid of the quotes completely, there's a Reply button at the bottom of each page you could use instead of clicking Quote that will open a blank response window.  This way, you wouldn't have to bother with separating your message from the quote.  You may already know that, so sorry if it was unnecessary.  Thanks, dear! :)

And if you or any other cousin has questions about navigating the board, please don't hesitate to ask.  I know that some users are new to computers or maybe have vision problems and I'm willing to assist anyone that needs help using the boards.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2002, 05:33:15 AM »

Jennifer, I think that was the information that was given out at first.  However, it proved to be inaccurate.  I don't remember exact figures, but I know that more than one Marriott staff member was killed and several guests who remained in their rooms.

Watching some of the coverage on CNN on Wednesday, I noticed on the crawl at the bottom of the screen of the names who died, one was a Marriott staff member, general manager of something, but I didn't catch the full information.

Vlad so sorry just saw this today
so sad i quess i wanted to think they all got out!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV