Author Topic: Robservations 9/10/02 - #639/640 - Ghosts and Werewolves, Oh My!  (Read 1830 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 9/10/02 - #639/640 - Ghosts and Werewolves, Oh My!
« on: September 09, 2002, 10:26:41 PM »
639 - (Grayson Hall) - The great house of Collinwood stands in majestic isolation under the brightness of a full moon. But none who live at Collinwood know that on this night, the fullness of the moon means something it has never meant before. It is the sign of a new and terrifying evil that prowls the woods of the Collins estate in search of a victim.

Liz stands, stricken with fear, but the creature turns and runs away. Liz sinks down onto a rock, and finds herself face to face with Amy Jennings!

Amy steps forward and asks Liz if she's all right. It was a big animal, says Amy--it ran when it saw me. Liz is perplexed. Amy assures her it's gone now. Liz wonders why the creature fled when it saw Amy. The little girl introduces herself--Amy Jennings, explaining that she's on her way to find her brother. Liz, still staring at the spot where she saw something, is distracted, and reveals, I live at Collinwood. Amy wishes she lived there, in the big house by the water. Liz takes Amy's hand and says she must come with her before the creature returns. As they walk off together. The animal returns, growling in the depths of the bushes.

Collinwood - Julia comes downstairs, worried. She eyes the silent phone, then turns as Amy and Liz enter the house. Liz almost faints as she describes the wild animal that almost attacked her. Liz sits in a chair describes what looked like a wolf--and, as incredible as it sounds--it was dressed like a man!
Julia looks skeptical, but says if Liz saw it, there must be an explanation. Julia goes upstairs to get Liz a sedative and tells Amy to stay with her. Amy, who has been eyeing the portraits and such, asks Liz if she's Mrs. Stoddard. Liz thanks her for scaring off the creature. Amy shyly says that's OK--I have to be going; I'm looking for my brother. It's too late to be out alone, objects Liz. Amy insists it's only too late for those afraid of the dark--and she's not. I could see that in the woods, says Liz. Julia returns with a sedative and a glass of water for Liz, who doubts anything could help her to sleep. Julia wonders what to do about Amy, Chris' sister. Amy doesn't want to go back, but Julia says you must go--you shouldn't have run away; your treatment is important. Amy says she only needs her brother, and she'll find him. Julia promises to have Chris come to see her at Windcliff tomorrow. Heartbreakingly, Amy begs not to be sent back; Chris promised her he'd stay and never go away again--he'll take care of her. Julia explains--I'm responsible for you, Amy. Chris will do that, says the little girl. I haven't been able to reach him, explains Julia. Between the storm and the lateness of the hour, Liz suggests Amy stay tonight.
Julia agrees, but "It's back to Windcliff tomorrow." Amy is pathetically happy. David comes in, wearing a green terrycloth bathrobe, and Liz tells him Amy is going to be staying with them tonight. Amy greets David, who returns the greeting. Liz asks David to get Mrs. Johnson. David asks an enthusiastic Amy if she wants to come with him. Together, they scamper off. Julia asks Liz how she feels now. Better, replies Liz. We should call the sheriff, advises Julia. Liz says she only got one look at the creature, who, seemingly afraid of the sight of Amy, ran away.

Woods - a wolf howls mournfully.

Amy's room - David tells Amy about his shell collection, promising to show them to her tomorrow. I must return to Windcliff tomorrow, she says. Next time, says David. Amy admires the lightning and even opens the window to get a closer look. David asks if she wants him to stay with her a little longer, and tells her he hardly ever has to go to bed early. (Who does?) He asks if lightning and thunder scare her, like most girls. No, she assures him--it can't hurt you. David points out that lightning can strike you dead--if she isn't afraid, he'll be going, he says, but she asks him to stick around and talk. They sit by the fire. Amy asks what it's like living at Collinwood. Like any other place, he says. She remarks on how huge the house is. David says no one has ever counted the rooms--there's a whole wing, the west wing, closed off all the time--I don't want to tell you why, it will keep you awake (isn't he cute?) She guesses it's haunted, and bets he's never been to the west wing. I sure have, he insists. Is it true it's haunted? She asks.  Maybe, says David. She thinks he's teasing her. David says, if you weren't leaving tomorrow, I'd take you there and show you the ghosts. (They are very natural together.) Show me right now, suggests Amy--"I love exploring houses--please" He agrees, but says they must be quiet and careful--if we're caught, Aunt Liz will be mad. They head to his room to get a flashlight.

The West Wing, filled with cobwebs, old furniture and portraits - David, flashlight in hand, leads Amy through the West Wing. He shows her the portrait of Thaddeus Collins, alive during the Civil War. They pass a door and David tells her it's a storage room, perfect for exploring. They go in. The room is filled with even more cobwebs (plus a brass bed that will play a big role in future episodes of DS). Amy pronounces this room exciting, with lots of secrets. David says this room is supposed to be haunted. Do you think it is? asks Amy excitedly. No, says David--just a legend--nothing has ever happened to me in this room--another room, down the corridor, has a secret passageway. Amy remarks on how lucky he is, living here. She spots a 19th century telephone on the floor and picks it up.
David suggests a game--the kind that first pops into your head. A pretend game? asks Amy. David suggests they pretend all the junk isn't there and it's the same as it was when the West Wing was first opened. And see the people who lived there, too, suggests Amy. If we can't see them, perhaps we could talk to them--on the phone they found!--we can pretend to talk to someone who lived in the past. David doesn't know who lived in this room. Amy says she'll start. She picks up the phone and says, "My name is Amy Jennings, what's yours? That's a nice name. Where do you live? Somewhere near this room? If David and I came looking for you, could we see you? Could you hold on for just a minute?" Amy turns to David and tells him the West Wing IS haunted! David asks what she's talking about. I think the man I'm talking to is a ghost, she says. David looks upset and says that's enough pretending, but Amy assures him there really IS someone on the phone. David scoffs that she's making it up. The ghost's name is Quentin Collins, reports Amy. I've never heard of anyone by that name, says David. Amy suggests he listen on the phone; he'll find out. David takes the receiver and says, "Hello?" Not getting a response, he turns to Amy and starts to say, "Isn't that strange, I think your ghost has lost his. . ." Then he looks startled, stunned. I can hear someone breathing! He says. He takes the receiver away from his ear and we hear someone hang up. The phone, however, isn't connected to anything at all! (Yes, this creeped me out back in 1968, and a lot, too.)

Amy examines the phone, which they've brought up to the room where she's staying. David comes in with a book of photos and says he's never heard his father talk about Quentin Collins--this book goes all the way back to the Civil War, Amy can't imagine why Quentin wouldn't talk to David; he spoke to her in such a nice voice. They come across a picture of Quentin as a boy, then look for photos of him as an adult. They can't find any; perhaps there aren't anymore. Amy wonders where Quentin is. They find a photo of Quentin with his brothers and sisters, but can't identify which one is Quentin. When Liz knocks at the door, David hides the phone and photo album before Amy opens the door. Liz is surprised to find David here. He explains that he was telling Amy about the house. Liz tells David to go to his room. Amy helps Liz turn down the little girl's bed. David asks if Liz knows of an ancestor named Quentin Collins. Yes, he was my great uncle, says Liz--he left Collinwood while still young, went to France, and died in Paris--why do you ask? David explains that he saw Quentin's name in a family history and got curious.
As if sharing a very private secret, David and Amy say goodnight to each other. Liz tells Amy to go to sleep, then leaves. Amy takes the phone out from under the bed and puts it back on the table. She turns off her light, climbs into bed, and settles down for sleep. At 2:15 AM, Amy awakens, slides out of bed and picks up the receiver on the disconnected phone as though she heard it ring. Why didn't you speak to David? Asks Amy--he was very disappointed. . .what? All right.? She listens very carefully. "Where do you want me to come? Will you be there?" She smiles. "All right--I'll come right now. Yes. Goodbye, Quentin." She hangs up and leaves her room, making sure no one is out there. We see actual rain hitting the window as Amy enters the West Wing again, gazing around with huge brown eyes. She enters the room where they found the telephone. "Quentin?" she calls. "I'm here, Quentin. Aren't you going to come out and see me?" And hopefully, she gazes around.

NOTES: Sad story of a werewolf brother and his lonely little sister, left by the only working member of the family, Tom, who became a vampire. Chris and Amy look like they come from the same family, too. David and Amy are delightful together. Grayson Hall once said that a child actress on DS acted, "Forty, if she's a day." I've never doubted she was referring to the flawless performance of Denise Nickerson. I think she's adorable--and damn, didn't you get chills when Amy was speaking to the unseen Quentin on that disconnected phone? One of DS' scariest moments, IMHO.

640 - (Nancy Barrett) - A little girl spends her first night in the great house of Collinwood, a night of strange, weird discoveries, for she finds an ancient telephone, its wires hanging loose. But when she picks up the receiver, she hears a faint voice from the past, a voice which orders her to come to him--she knows not why.

Amy stands in the West Wing room, calling to Quentin. "Aren't you going to come out and see me?" she asks. The door opens and David joins Amy. She's disappointed it's only him, and wonders how he knew she came there. David saw her pass his room, and asks if "he" sent her here. She nods. David takes her out of the room. They return to Amy's room and she accuses him of being afraid. He denies it--they aren't allowed in the West Wing--ever. To prove he isn't afraid, David uses the ancient phone. There's no one there, but when Amy tries it, she tells David "he's" angry with you for following me. Why? wonders David--Quentin is MY ancestor--I bet you didn't even talk to him, you just heard the name Quentin Collins, and are just playing a game--except I heard the breathing, heard the hang-up. David seems reluctant to believe it all. He suggests they have a seance, call Quentin. They sit by the fire and he explains that he's seen the adults call people from the dead a lot (LOL!). First we have to light a candle, says David, and does. They promise each other not to be scared. David says he's no virgin seance holder. He tells Amy to turn off the lights. They sit at the table, the old telephone in the center, along with the candle. David instructs her to touch hands on the table to make a circle, which must never be broken. Concentrate, advises David, on Quentin--he makes sure she isn't afraid one more time, then calls to Quentin. "We are calling you! Wherever you are, come to us! Tell us about the old telephone and why you spoke to Amy through it."
"Quentin Collins, we are calling you. If you are here, speak to us. Give us some kind of sign!" Nothing happens, but David looks frightened as he proceeds to call Quentin again. The door opens by itself and they see a hooded figure in the hallway. It's just Vicki. and her dark hair, dressed in black. She switches on the lights. They were just playing a game, explains David. Vicki introduces herself to Amy--as Vicki Clark, David's governess. David explains that Amy got scared and knocked at his door, and Vicki apologizes for not checking on her. She orders David to his room; she'll stay with Amy. We'll see each other in the morning, agree David and Amy. As Amy looks over the ancient telephone, Vicki comments that the house seems scary. Where did you get it? asks Vicki. We went exploring, says Amy, who adds, I'm too old for bedtime stories--Tom used to tell me good ones of queens, kings and princesses--did you know Tom? Yes, answers Vicki, probably remembering the vampire who broke into her room. Amy asks to see Chris--Julia knows where he is--will you make sure I see him tomorrow? Vicki promises, first thing in the morning. Amy is thrilled--Chris said he would see me, but didn't--he's all the family I have, and I really want to see him--he hasn't gone away without me, has he? Vicki reassures her on that score. They hug each other and Amy looks happy. Vicki turns off the light and leaves Amy alone in the dark.

Chris, the object of her concern, lies on the floor of his room in the Collinsport Inn, muddy footprints on the carpet leading up to his sprawled out body.

Carolyn opens the door to admit Chris to Collinwood. It's been a long time, they agree. She observes he hasn't changed, and is glad. Carolyn introduces Vicki Clark to Chris. Amy has talked of no one but you, says Vicki. Carolyn agrees. Chris isn't happy Amy ran away from
the hospital. You were the reason she did that, points out Carolyn. Carolyn looks interested, smiling after Chris as he leaves with Vicki. She primps in front of the mirror.

David sympathizes with Amy--he doesn't like seeing his relatives, either (and he has been known to try to kill his father). David prefers being left alone, and thinks Amy would feel the same if she were a boy. Amy, however, is ecstatic to see her brother, who picks her up in his arms, exposing her underpants. Everyone leaves them alone. Amy asks Chris where hes been. He reminds her that she was supposed to stay at Windcliff. I was afraid you'd gone away again, says Amy, by way of explanation. I haven't, he assures her. You might have, she says--why do you EVER have to go away? I didn't say I had to do anything, he reminds her. She's thrilled at the prospect of staying with him, coming to live with him. What would you do while I had to work? asks Chris. She assures him she can take care of himself. No, you can't, he insists. I want to be with you! Says Amy. It just isn't possible, says Chris--I want to, more than anything. Then it's easy, she says. He promises to find her a home in town where she can stay--he's sorry, but that's the best he can do--one day, maybe I can explain it to you, he says.
She looks at him reproachfully, pushing his guilt buttons. I want to stay with you, just tonight, she pleads. You can't! shouts Chris, tortured. "You don't want me!" accuses Amy--"You don't want me at all!" Chris protests, trying to take her in his arms, but she shrugs him off, angry. He apologizes and leaves the room. Amy, her back straight and proud, says aloud that she won't let him take her to that home--she won't! She caresses the phone like a pet cat.

That's ridiculous! Carolyn insists to Chris--you can't put Amy in some home--let her stay with us at Collinwood--my mother mentioned it, we have all this room. Vicki says you'd be doing us a favor. Chris refuses--it's out of the question. Carolyn begs him to come talk to Liz and let her convince him it would be all right.

David tries to comfort the depressed Amy--maybe you'll get to stay here, with us!--wouldn't you like that?--we'd have fun. Amy doesn't answer. David suggests another seance--this time, we'll contact Quentin--don't you even want to stay for another seance? Amy doesn't answer.

Blue Whale - The waitress clears a table as Chris and Carolyn come in for a drink. I owe you, he says--this problem with Amy is solved, temporarily. My mother said Amy can stay as long as she wants to, says Carolyn. "The generosity of strangers," comments Chris. We aren't that, says Carolyn. He agrees they aren't, but if someone had asked him yesterday, he'd have called the Collinses strangers to him. He smiles and thanks her. We'll become attached to Amy, says Carolyn, and you will marry and want to take her away--you and she will have two families, then. The waitress comes over. Carolyn orders a daiquiri and Chris a shot of Irish. I guess it seems really weird I don't take care of Amy myself, like Tom did, he says. Tom didn't travel as much as you did, Carolyn reminds him. Everyone must wonder why I don't just stay here, settle down, says Chris. We don't spend our time living other people's lives, she says. . .it worries YOU. The waitress brings their drinks. Carolyn asks if HE could settle down. Not now, he says. Psychologically incapable? she asks. Yeah, he says. That may change, she smiles. They exchange looks, clink glasses, toast. She hopes he'll consider what Liz asked--stick around for a week or so until Amy feels secure with them. Chris isn't sure. Carolyn remarks on how early it gets dark, and Chris checks his watch. I'm a summer person, says Carolyn, but anyone who spends winters in Maine is. Chris gulps his shot and hastily asks for the check, then asks if she has errands she wanted to do before the stores close. They can wait, she says. The waitress brings the check.
Chris looks at her and spots a five pointed star on her face. She notes his scrutiny and asks if something is wrong. With terror-stricken eyes, Chris tells Carolyn he'll call her tomorrow, then races from the table and out the door. The waitress checks her face in a mirror. (The clock on the bar wall says 1.)

Chris returns to his out-of-the-way room and nervously checks his own reflection in the mirror, touching his face for a fur check. He looks out the window, takes a strap with a chain attached and bolts himself to the radiator with a padlock. He sits there, leaning back; his face transforms into that of a werewolf who, when the change is complete, appears to be much shorter and slighter than Chris! He works at the chain, trying to free himself.

The Blue Whale waitress is closing the bar (where the clock still says one, and rightly so). She hears someone trying to get in and says, "We're closed!" She begins turning off lights, then starts putting chairs upside-down on tables. She hears growling. We see the werewolf standing in the window. He leaps through the glass.
The waitress screams as he attacks her.

NOTES: Not a bad action scene for 1968, folks. This was a lot of action for DS. They hired stunt man Alex Stevens to perform all the werewolf stunts, a fellow who was apparently not nearly as tall as Don Briscoe, so it seemed that, when the transformation hit, Chris shrunk!

Touching scenes between sister and brother as Amy begs to be able to remain with Chris, who has a problem with full moons that can't help but negatively affect her. We know what's going on, but Amy doesn't, and he can't tell her, either. He can only offer lame excuses. Amy, still grieving over losing Tom, wants her only remaining relative to stick around--and who can blame her? Already David seems like her little brother, and I'm sure the two child actors had a blast together working at the studio. I know some people find Denise Nickerson somewhat squeaky, but she was adorable and a great little actress, too!

So what will happen to that waitress? Is she a goner, like the hotel clerk? Poor Chris, like Barnabas, is a supernatural creature who just can't help himself!

Love, Robin

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 9/10/02 - #639/640 - Ghosts and Werewolves, Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 06:07:13 PM »
639 -   The waitress brings the check.  Chris looks at her and spots a five pointed cross on her face.  She notes his scrutiny and asks if something is wrong.  

I'm not to up on my werewolf lore.....what was the significance of Chris seeing the pentagram on the waitress' face? Was this a cue to him that she was to be his next victim? Is this how a werewolf picks his targets?

Curious (and ignorant) minds would like to know! ;)
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 07:24:38 PM »
I'm not to up on my werewolf lore.....what was the significance of Chris seeing the pentagram on the waitress' face? Was this a cue to him that she was to be his next victim? Is this how a werewolf picks his targets?

Hi there, Karen#2. I see that you are back from sunny California.

Here's a site that might help:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/goth/bow/
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline DSFAN4EVER

• Junior Poster
  • ...yeah, yeah I know BIG TEETH run in our family!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 10:07:14 PM »

When I was a little kid, I used to love Lon Chaney Jr as the "real Wolfman".  According to "lore" the pentagram appears on the body (usually the face, or the palm of the hand) of the next victim.    He/she doesn't really get to pick targets, it just happens.
[jawdrp]
PEACE TO ALL!!!!

DSFAN4EVER

DVD

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 07:50:36 PM »
DVD episodes for July 1st and 2nd.
The 5th and 6th episodes on Set#11/Disc#3 (5th episode on MPI tape Volume #81, 1st episode on MPI tape Volume #82)