Author Topic: GO TO HELL DS STYLE  (Read 1475 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
GO TO HELL DS STYLE
« on: August 31, 2002, 03:41:52 AM »
Angelique's visit to the Netherworld was far from frightening. I was expecting more with the wonderful incantation as the lead into the scene. Of course, I viewed the original Series as a college student. There was smoke, fire, and a faceless Diabolos. Everyone has their own concept of Hell...from a state of mind to an endless pit. My understanding was that this was one of the few episodes that brought out the wrath of the religious world with regards to the Series. Comments?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: GO TO HELL DS STYLE
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2002, 07:23:24 AM »
Angelique's visit to the Netherworld was far from frightening. I was expecting more with the wonderful incantation as the lead into the scene. Of course, I viewed the original Series as a college student. There was smoke, fire, and a faceless Diabolos. Everyone has their own concept of Hell...from a state of mind to an endless pit. My understanding was that this was one of the few episodes that brought out the wrath of the religious world with regards to the Series. Comments?

oh i'm sure it did Vam but some of those people don't need much
Pretty tame when you look at it now compared to some things on today!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2002, 07:34:05 AM »
On many occasions I have been told to go to hell, but I've never been given the option of going Dark Shadows style!

[thumb]

[nuts][frkoff]
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2002, 09:48:34 AM »
>>>>>>My understanding was that this was one of the few episodes that brought out the wrath of the religious world with regards to the Series. Comments?

That is a true VAM. And it certainly didn't help any that GAF selected the trip to hell, by both Nicholas and Angelique, as the basis for their excellent 3-D viewmaster reel packets.  The parents must have really bought the set for their kiddies, and were not aware of the 'content' of the storyline found on the reels. The set was released in 1969, and continued to be a top seller for GAF, until it was discontinued in 1974. 3 years after the series went off the air!  I never knew why the didn't do additional sets for 1897 etc.  That would have been fantastic!

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2002, 01:43:28 PM »
That is a true VAM. And it certainly didn't help any that GAF selected the trip to hell, by both Nicholas and Angelique, as the basis for their excellent 3-D viewmaster reel packets.  The parents must have really bought the set for their kiddies, and were not aware of the 'content' of the storyline found on the reels. The set was released in 1969, and continued to be a top seller for GAF, until it was discontinued in 1974. 3 years after the series went off the air!  I never knew why the didn't do additional sets for 1897 etc.  That would have been fantastic!

I agree. The 1897/werewolf storyline certainly would have been most entertaining visually for children.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2002, 04:02:10 AM »
 I never knew why the didn't do additional sets for 1897 etc.  That would have been fantastic!

I have the viewmaster reels. I agree, they should've made more.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2002, 03:58:26 PM »
My Viewmaster DS set is amongst my favorite possessions, DS-wise, with Josette's music box a close second.  The 3-D effect is so cool!  

I had lost that Viewmaster set a while back, tore the house apart trying to find it, with no luck.  A friend who had purchased hers during the first run of the show sent it to me as a gift.  When I opened it and read her sweet note, I burst into grateful tears.  I will never forget what a true friend she proved herself with that amazing, selfless gesture.

I, too, wish the Viewmaster company had issued more DS for our viewing pleasure.  Perhaps Dan Curtis wouldn't give them further rights?  If it sold that well, why didn't they expand the availability of the series?

Love, Robin    

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2002, 07:19:15 PM »
>>>>>>>I, too, wish the Viewmaster company had issued more DS for our viewing pleasure.  Perhaps Dan Curtis wouldn't give them further rights?  If it sold that well, why didn't they expand the availability of the series?

It has been mentioned on occasion that GAF felt it was too complex to summarize a 6 - 9 month story of DS in only "21 stereo reels".  So they gave up on producing additional sets. GAF rarely issued second or third sets of their TV show titles. The only time that I can recall them doing more than one set was on the "Partridge Family".   "Happy Days" was another one. Even the popular Star Trek series from the 60's only had one set done.

But we are grateful to have even that one set made. The clarity of the 3 D images is so sharp, that it really shows us how beautiful Sy Thomasoff's sets actually were. I don't know if it showed on anyone elses set, but in the photo of Angelique and Diablos, you can see the boom mike up above! Even in the GAF viewmasters, we were not spared seeing the DS microphone!

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2002, 09:03:13 PM »
Hi. all i always had this saying when someone said
" go to hell " This was my answer " i went there
but no one was home!"!!!  ( Sorry, i hope that wasn't
  too harsh )  Wish it was done in DS Style!
                             Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2002, 09:20:59 PM »
Annie, I like your reply.  I think I will use that next time.

Birdie--or another one is I plan to that's where my friends will be
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2002, 12:41:23 AM »
Hi, Birdie thanks i like your reply too you may use
the saying anytime!!
                    Love U Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2002, 03:26:25 AM »
Comments?

The DS Hell looks like a fun place compared to the one I was taught to believe in.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan