Author Topic: Where are all the rabid Angie fans?  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Where are all the rabid Angie fans?
« on: August 29, 2002, 07:11:36 AM »
Just looking thru this board . .and not at just my own posts. . i ponder. . .i was under the impression there was very very large and loyal Lara Parker fan base out there. .i know there are some here. .but it certainly seems this place is full of Grayson-o-holics.  .where do the Angie fans hang out?  And where are they?  I have heard of them but didn't see them last year or this year at the Fests. .
Julia99

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the rabid Angie fans?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2002, 07:12:44 PM »
There was a listserv "Angelique Addicts," not sure if that's still around.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2002, 07:35:15 PM »
There was a listserv "Angelique Addicts," not sure if that's still around.

I believe the addy is: angeliqueaddicts@yahoogroups.com
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Connie

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2002, 02:11:44 AM »
...And where are they?  I have heard of them but didn't see them last year or this year at the Fests. .

Guess there aren't too many on here (or maybe they lurk alot).
I get bored with Angelique very quickly.  It's always the same thing with her -- casting spells, causing trouble, and whatnot.  Plus the constant batting her eyes very quickly and stuff she does with her mouth - can't explain it.

-CLC
Bored with things.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2002, 09:19:45 AM »
Just looking thru this board . .and not at just my own posts. . i ponder. . .i was under the impression there was very very large and loyal Lara Parker fan base out there. .i know there are some here. .but it certainly seems this place is full of Grayson-o-holics.  .where do the Angie fans hang out?  And where are they?  I have heard of them but didn't see them last year or this year at the Fests. .

It's true!  There used to be lots of staunch B & A fans on the posting boards, and I know most are still online but they sure have quieted down.  Does Krystina, who I think started the Angelique's Addicts list, still post on the SciFi boards?  Does anyone remember Al from the Shadows list?!  But I think it's lovely that the B & J contingency has really bloomed over the past few years.

Anyway, I'm a HUGE Angelique fan.  I find her endlessly entertaining as a powerful witch with a complicated history, as a woman scorned, and as a supernatural rival to Laura.  I think she adds to every storyline she's in... she certainly makes the best entrances-- my favorite is coming up in 1897!  And I love discussing her, especially with Nicky.  Yet maybe I'm not understanding how you meant it, but to me a rabid fan is intense and unyielding whereas I enjoy hearing other POVs.  And I can't imagine that a union between B & A could be blissful for very long, nor do I accept what happened at the end of 1840.  Also, I mean no disrespect toward Lara Parker, but I prefer to focus on the character rather than the actress.  So am I disqualified? ;)

Anyone else? :D

Connie

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2002, 09:52:21 AM »
I think she adds to every storyline she's in... she certainly makes the best entrances--

Oh definitely.  And she's absolutely necessary in all the storylines.  (a necessary evil)  LOL
DS wouldn't be DS without Angelique.  It's just after not too long, I want to shoot her.

And I can't imagine that a union between B & A could be blissful for very long, nor do I accept what happened at the end of 1840.

I can't imagine it either.  Interesting though....my daughter and I just spent two days watching tons of 1840 episodes.  She's bored with the storyline right now and I wanted her to get a taste of something different (plus the heightened level of acting she could look forward to when Selby joins the show).
(Yeah...I know...I'm prejudiced).

SPOILER ------

Anyway, I love the stuff when Barnabas "realizes" he really loves Angelique and then it's too late when he tries to tell her.  God - it's so wrenching.  And I buy it when I'm watching, then afterwards, it's like....Nah!  I can't buy it.

Jeez...life is so confusing, no?  LOL

-CLC  [hdscrt]

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2002, 11:03:47 AM »
Anyway, I'm a HUGE Angelique fan.  I find her endlessly entertaining as a powerful witch with a complicated history, as a woman scorned, and as a supernatural rival to Laura.  

Im with you Midnite. I enjoy seeing Angelique in all the storylines that she's in. I always know whatever scene she's involved in, it'll never be boring.  Also liked her much better than Laura who I just couldn't stand most of the time.  My favorite with Angelique was during the 1795 storyline because that's when we got to see her just starting out as a witch and also got to see the reason behind all her mischief . ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2002, 02:27:51 PM »
...where do the Angie fans hang out?  And where are they?  

Julia99,

Curious...Is a RABID Julia fan like yourself interested in defection? ;D
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2002, 02:45:31 PM »
Anyway, I'm a HUGE Angelique fan.  I find her endlessly entertaining as a powerful witch with a complicated history, as a woman scorned, and as a supernatural rival to Laura.  I think she adds to every storyline she's in... she certainly makes the best entrances-- my favorite is coming up in 1897!  And I love discussing her, especially with Nicky.  Yet maybe I'm not understanding how you meant it, but to me a rabid fan is intense and unyielding whereas I enjoy hearing other POVs.  And I can't imagine that a union between B & A could be blissful for very long, nor do I accept what happened at the end of 1840.  Also, I mean no disrespect toward Lara Parker, but I prefer to focus on the character rather than the actress.  So am I disqualified? ;)

Angelique is indeed entertaining, and certainly essential to the series.  I use to love to hate her when I was a kid, lol.   Other than Julia, Ang. is the only other female in Barn.'s life that has any brains.  I don't buy the whole 1840 ending thing either, and think it was just a ratings ploy.  Just MHO, of course.  
I hated what they did to the character during the Leviathan sequence...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I can't imagine what could have possessed her to "give up" her powers for Sky Rumson.  The guy was such a loser!  We were given no motivation, no background...and are suppose to accept that Ang. is content to be a housewife to Mr. Wonderful????
For me, one of the *worst* DS moments.  

MrsJ.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2002, 10:50:45 PM »
I always enjoyed the character of Angelique because she added so much to most of the storylines.  Even Dan Curtis said that when he wanted to jolt the ratings, he brought Angelique and Barnabas to the forefront.  

I love Angelique.  I love Julia.  I think that, in the right hands of a fan fictionist, Barnabas could have had an excellent relationship with either/both.  I wrote a story in which he married both--at different times, of course--had sons with both, experienced joy and suffered with both.  It worked for me!

What can I say?  I was an impressionable girl when DS first came on in '66.  I was a little bit of Vicki, Carolyn, Maggie--and yes, Angelique.  She was the only lady we knew for sure had carnal knowledge of (and married!) Barnabas, and I wanted my shot at that, too, so when a young man I met a few years later said I resembled Angelique, I was very flattered.  

I happen to think Lara Parker did a fantastic job with Angelique, and when she and Frid were good in certain scenes, they were great--riveting!

Love, Robin

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2002, 10:53:21 PM »
Count me in as a HUGE Angelique fan!

I'm a member of Angelique-Addicts, but I don't know of any Angelique fan clubs besides that. I think Angelique is one of the most developed characters on DS. I have always felt sorry for her.

SPOILER...

I really didn't get what they were doing to her during the Leviathan storyline either. She later said she never really loved Sky, but still, it was just wierd.

As for the 1840 ending, I love it and totally buy it. I think Barnabas and Angelique have so much chemistry and were meant to be together. I thought this scene was so heart-wrenching. It was one of the only times I have ever cried during DS. But maybe that's just because I'm a die-hard B-A fan.

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2002, 02:52:23 AM »
Julia99,

Curious...Is a RABID Julia fan like yourself interested in defection? ;D

I hardly think so my dear VAM.  . :PI do enjoy Lara and think she does a fine job but Julia (Grayson) is my gal, in the womb, now and forever.. . ;D
Julia99

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2002, 03:24:20 AM »
I know it is obvious but I should go on record... I am a GIGANTIC Angelique fan! (I believe Midnite, Lindsey, Cassandra, and Robin covered most of the reasons.)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2002, 03:50:16 AM »

I'm not much of an Angelique fan, but she does add a lot to the show. She has some great moments, and keeps the suspense coming.  
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2002, 04:12:44 AM »
;D  I love Angelique!  The scorned woman who loves a man who doesn't want her.  She gets so into her spells just to retain Barnabas at any cost....my hats off to Lara Parker for keeping this fan spellbound. :)