Author Topic: #0045/0046: Robservations 06/19/01: Fateful Meeting at the Cannery  (Read 1338 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #45 - I have been swept up in the whirlpool of emotions that has as its vortex this great house called Collinwood--and others are swept along in the same inexorable tide. Bill calls the plant to ask for Roger, and when he finds he isn't there, orders that a message be left for him--tell him I'm waitin' for him--he knows where! Malloy hangs up. Burke enters the bar, rubbing his hands together, and Bill greets him, "Well, Burke--back from Bangor so soon?" Burke grins and says he didn't know his trip was the object of such close scrutiny. Word gets around in Collinsport, says Bill. It certainly does, agrees Burke. Word gets around about other things, says Bill enigmatically. Do you think if you sat down with me, says Burke, and had a drink, you wouldn't sound quite so cryptic? I want to talk to ya, if that's what you mean, says Bill. that's what I mean, agrees Burke, and they sit down together at a table. What would you like? asks Burke. I'll have...coffee, says Bill, thinking about how much he's imbibed today. Scotch and water and one coffee, Burke orders from the bartender. I want you to know one thing first, says Bill--I don't like what you're trying to do to the Collins family--and I don't approve of it. I'm not trying to do anything to them, says Burke. No, says Bill--then what business do you have with a man representing a New York syndicate interested in buying up the Collins property--a man you met in Bangor today? Burke sighs--word certainly does get around, doesn't it? he asks Bill. The bartender brings their drinks. Cheers, toasts Burke, holding up his drink, but Bill stirs his coffee with determination, staring Burke down.

So you think my connection with James Blair has some sinister implications, do you? asks Burke. I've known you ever since you were a boy, says Bill, I never knew you to do anything without a purpose. I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or not, says Burke. Take it any way you like, suggests Bill. Did it ever occur to you, asks Burke, that a man like Mr. Blair has many interests--and it's quite true that one of these interests centers on the Collins Enterprises. So do your interests, points out Bill. You jump to conclusion, says Burke, Blair is an old friend of mine from New York--he had business in Bangor--what could be more natural than him calling me up for lunch? With any other man, it might be natural, says Bill, with you, I'm not too sure. Do you think I would have brought Carolyn over to the table and introduced her if that were true? asks Burke. Yeah, that's just what I think you would have done, says Bill, and no doubt you would have told her he was planning to rob her family. Burke grins, saying he wouldn't do such a silly thing as that. (Boy, does Bill have Burke pegged!) You'd say it in such a way she wouldn't believe it, says Bill. You give me credit for being a lot smarter than I am, says Burke. No I don't, I give you credit for being smarter than I am, corrects Bill--I never would be able to talk around a thing the way you do--so my best bet is to lay the cards right on the table. What is it you're after? asks Burke. All I want to know is this, says Bill--if--IF I help you prove you weren't the one who should have been sent to prison, then are you willing to leave Elizabeth Stoddard alone, stop pestering her. Has Mrs. Stoddard said I was pestering her? asks Burke. You know what I mean, says Bill--will you leave the rest of the Collins family alone? An interesting offer, says Burke--what do you mean by the rest of the family? I mean the ones that didn't have anything to do with that accident you were in 10 years ago, says Bill. Well let's see, says Burke--David wasn't even born yet, Carolyn was just a little girl, Mrs. Stoddard wasn't involved--that leaves only Roger Collins, doesn't it? You know darn well what I'm thinkin', says Bill, I believe you been thinkin' the same thing. Tell me, says Burke, is it just your sense of justice that's been outraged? A man shouldn't be punished for something he didn't do, says Bill. But he should be punished for something he did, says Burke sharply. That's the way I see it, says Bill sipping his coffee--no matter who. Even if it's Roger? asks Burke. Don't matter, says Bill. You know, says Burke, you're one of the most completely honest people I've ever met--and that includes myself. I try to do what's right, says Bill. I know you do, says Burke--can you remember some 15-16 years ago. What's that got to do with it? asks Bill--the accident was only 10 years ago. Yes, says Burke, you gave me my first job--I remember I was a green boy--you paid me a man's wages. You did a man's job, says Bill. Burke grins--a lot of employers might have taken advantage of a boy, he says. Don't get the idea there was any charity involved, because there wasn't, says Bill. I wouldn't make that mistake, Burke assures him. I'm makin' you a straightforward offer, a deal, says Bill. You say your cards are on the table, let's see them, says Burke. I put most of them down, says Bill, all I have left is the hold card. And you expect someone to come in here with that hold card? asks Burke. It's possible, says Bill.
Well then, says Burke, what if they don't come in? You'll know it when he comes in, says Bill, but if he doesn't come in, I'll have to go looking for him--and soon!

In his office at the cannery, Roger plays darts, viciously throwing darts at the board, then collecting them and starting over again. He's thinking hard. He places the darts on his desk. Carolyn, in a good mood, enters his office and greets the "big fish tycoon." She kisses his cheek. He asks to what he owes the honor of this welcome intrusion. I am shamelessly chasing Joe Haskell, she says, but I thought it would look better if I said I was looking for you--and being scrupulously honest, I looked for you first. That's my fate, he mock-laments, always second choice. Aww, not always, she says, you're my number one favorite uncle, she says. He sits at his desk, saying there's not much distinction in winning a popularity contest if you're the only contestant, and she sits in a chair in front of it. His phone rings. That is not the job of this department, he tells the caller--if you will study the work charts I drew up, you will see you should be talking to Hanley in the marketing department. He hangs up. I'm impressed! Says Carolyn, giving a little bounce in her chair--you actually do something here! Surely you don't think I was paid my munificent salary for being a figurehead, he says. Why not? she asks, you make a very good figurehead. I see you're growing into a woman, says Roger. You noticed, says Carolyn with a grin. I noticed you came here completely full of purpose, he says, gave me a bogus alibi and then beat seven time around the bush and didn't say anything--that's a woman! He proudly laces his hands behind his head as if he's spoken the secret of the universe. Carolyn bursts into laughter. I confess, he says, I stopped in the Blue Whale earlier and ran into Bill Malloy. This wipes the smug smile off Roger's face. Malloy? he asks--what about him? I've never seen him the way he was, he said he had something terrible to tell Mother, then went right up to the house and started right in on her. What did he say? asks Roger tensely. I don't know, confesses Carolyn, I was in the other room with Mr. Harris. What did your mother say? asks Roger. Not to worry, says Carolyn, but I am worried--Mr. Malloy said there was something he HAD to do, and that he would do it with or without Mother's approval--he sounded... Bill bursts into Roger's office. I said I had to see ya! he barks at him. This is my office, Roger reminds him, I will see you when I decide, not at your pleasure--now get out! No sir, says Bill firmly, I'm stayin' right here until this is settled. Carolyn stares from one man to the other, her face solemn.

I really came down here to find Joe Haskell, says Carolyn, sending the tension--do you know where he might be? she asks Bill. They'll tell you at the front gate, Bill says, arms crossed over his chest. I'll ask there, says Carolyn--she goes back to her uncle's desk--unless you want me to stay, she says. No, says Roger, you run along, Mr. Malloy and I have company matters to discuss. OK, bye, she says, and leaves. I thought you were gonna meet me at the Blue Whale, says Bill. I can't very well meet you there if I'm here, can I? asks Roger curtly. All right, says Bill--this is as good a place as any for us to come to an understandin'. I really haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, says Roger, commencing to toss darts again, nearly hitting Bill. I... begins Bill, stepping away from the dart board, I think you do. suppose you enlighten me, says Roger. I'm talking about what's driving Burke Devlin to do his best to destroy everything your sister holds dear to her, says Bill. Does that include me? asks Roger, throwing another dart. If you ask me, says Bill, it was Elizabeth that kept you out of jail in the first place! Roger doesn't say anything at first, but he takes some more darts into his hand and finally says, of course I didn't ask you--he throw another dart. I'm tellin' you anyway, says Bill. Are you forgetting that you're employed by the Collins family? asks Roger pointedly. I'm employed to run the cannery and fishing fleet, nothing else, says Bill. Then why don't you tend to your job and keep out of matters that don't concern you? asks Roger, hurling another dart. If concerns the good name of Collins and that concerns me! says Bill. I think this is getting rather tiresome, says Roger, going to the dart board and taking out the darts--why don't you simply tell me what it is you think you know? What I know isn't as important as what somebody else knows, says Bill. Roger's face goes still--who? he asks. Sam Evans, says Bill. Oh, says roger, so Sam Evans is your mysterious source of information? You might as well know it now as later, says Bill. A man who is drunk more often than he's sober, says Roger. If you think that, why don't you run right over to the sheriff's office, suggests Bill, and tell Jonas Carter that Sam Evans is slandering you? I don't care to rake up the past, says Roger--it's done and over. No it isn't, and it never will be until Burke is satisfied, insists Bill, until he's proven innocent--or until he drags down every member of the Collins family as he was dragged down. And just what do you suggest I do about it? asks Roger.
Let me quite the exact works Sam Evans spoke to me, says Bill--"I am the only thing that stands between Roger Collins and a prison sentence"--so, Mr. Collins, I not only suggest you go talk to the police, I insist you do it--today! You're insane, says Roger. We'll see who's insane, says Bill, and leaves his office, slamming the door behind him. Roger takes a dart in his fist as if it were a knife and tosses it right into the bullseye, his face a mask of frustrated fury.

The camera focuses on Jeremiah's portrait as Carolyn reads the family history book, "Jeremiah Collins--sixth generation descendent of the founder of Collinsport, in 1830, married Josette LaFreniere, of Paris, France. The construction of Collinwood, the family mansion, was begun that same year." She smiles up at Jeremiah and asks if he had known what he'd started, would he still have done it?--I don't know if it was you building this house or what, but somewhere, somehow... Roger interrupts, asking Kitten who she's talking to. No, she says, closing the book, I was having a chat with old Jeremiah. I see, says Roger, you got the holy of holies--studying up on your ancestor. Mmm-hmm, she says, fun. Roger sits down on the sofa with the newspaper and puts on his glasses. Carolyn sits on a hassock and wheels closer to him, asking if he got everything straightened out with Malloy. Anything I got straightened out, it was Mr. Malloy, says Roger. I'm so glad, says Carolyn, I saw it had something to do with Burke Devlin. Devlin again? asks Roger, unhappily. Uh-oh, says Carolyn, now you're giving me a guilty conscience--I had lunch with Burke today. Whatever made you do a thing like that? asks Roger, pulling off his glasses. I thought if we got to be friends, he'd forget about whatever it is he seems to have against our family, says Carolyn. It would take more than a luncheon date to make him forget that, says roger. He was certainly nice enough to me, she says dreamily. Then he must have wanted something from you, says Roger. Don't be mean, she says--the only thing he wanted was my company--and he gave me a present to prove it--she goes to her purse and takes out the pen--he said it was expensive, she says, showing it to Roger--see? You accepted this? asks Roger. Yes!--isn't it pretty? asks Carolyn. Have you the vaguest idea of what a gift like that costs--you can't possibly keep it! insists Roger. Why not? asks Carolyn, Burke insisted. I told you he wanted something from you, says Roger--he's paying in advance! That's not true, says Carolyn. Why else would he give you a thing like this? demands Roger
--look at the workmanship on it--it's bad enough for you to accept a gift like this from any man, but unthinkable that you'd accept one from Burke Devlin. Oh for heaven's sake, says Carolyn, it's only a fountain pen! I don't care if it's a lead pencil, he say, I will not allow you to accept gifts like this from a man who is hell-bent on trying to destroy me--I'll return it to him! You have no right to do that! cries Carolyn. I have every right, her uncle says, if you're going to insist on acting like a child, you're going to be treated like one. Furious, Carolyn leaves the room without another word. Roger answers the phone. It's Bill--I have to know if you've decided to do anything about that matter we discussed, Malloy says. I have decided that I don't need you telling me what to do, replies Roger. Then you want me to do it for you, says Bill. No, I don't want you to do anything, insists Roger, have you no loyalty at all to the family that hired you? Yes, says Bill, that's exactly what I have, and as long as I work for the Collins family, I'll do exactly what I think best for it. So will I, says Roger, and right now I think the best thing my sister can do is get rid of you! He hangs up on Malloy, then gazes with hatred at the pen in his hand, shaking it.

Bill pumps the cut off buttons on the phone and realizes that Roger has hung up on him. He sits on the desk and dials again, asking for Burke Devlin. Burke?--Malloy--can you meet me at the Blue Whale right away?--it's important--for both of us!--good! He hangs up and leaves Roger's office, first turning off the light before he goes.

Collinwood - Roger pours himself a drink. Carolyn enters and picks up the family history. I suppose I'm really in disgrace if even you won't talk to me, says Roger. Carolyn, her face expressionless, says there's really nothing to say--we already said it all. Come on, Kitten, he says, don't make me seem a worse ogre than I am--if you really want this pen, if it means that much to you, here--and he hands her back the pen. No, I don't want it now, she says, you made it seem--I don't know, sordid. Well, perhaps I sounded harsher than I intended, he admits, putting the pen back in his pocket--come on, he says, taking her chin in his thumb and forefinger--let's see a smile on that pretty face. She gives him a grin and admits that she acted impulsively when she followed Burke to Bangor today. You followed him there? asks Roger. That's where we had lunch, she confesses, only he didn't follow me--I asked him. Why would you follow him? asks Roger. I don't know, she says, everyone acts so mysterious about him, it makes him seem intriguing--maybe I was just being a lady private eye. What did you uncover? asks Roger whimsically.

It just so happens I did find out something, says Carolyn--he was meeting a man named James Blair. Roger doesn't know the name. It meant plenty to Mr. Harris, says Carolyn--he was here talking to Mother today--and it also meant a lot to Mr. Malloy. Was he here, too? asks Roger. I told you he was up here raving about something, Carolyn reminds him--then when he heard about Blair, that really made him blow his stack! Did all this sleuthing pay off? asks Roger--who is Blair? He works for a New York syndicate that's looking into the Collins interests, says Carolyn. Oh, says Roger, taking a slug of his drink--so that's why Mr. Malloy is on the warpath--it means Devlin is starting to make his move against our family--and he thinks he knows a way to stop him--well, I'm certainly not going to be his sacrificial lamb!

Burke drinks alone at a table in the Blue Whale. Bill joins him, saying he got here as quick as he could. You making the Blue Whale your office now? asks Burke. Sometimes you get the most privacy in a most public place, says Malloy hurriedly. Very true, agrees Burke (who has employed this tactic himself). I had to see ya before I went any further with my plans, says Bill. I assume your plans concern me, says Burke. That they do, Bill assures him--first off, I want ya to know that whatever happened to ya 10 years ago had nothing to do with Elizabeth Stoddard. I never said that it did, Burke tells him. You might have been thinkin' it, says Bill. Possible, admits Burke. Then you're thinkins' all fouled up, says Bill--I tell you, Roger is the only one you have any right to have your hooks out for. Burke smiles--why should I have any animosity towards Roger? he asks--although his testimony did send me to prison--what's five years out of a man's life? he asks bitterly--modern medicine has increased my life far more than that. Don't try to talk rings around me, says Bill. "All right, Mr. Malloy, as I understand it," says Burke, "you want me to lay off the Collins family--and in return, you're offering me Roger?" "On a silver platter," vows Bill. That's an interesting proposal, says Burke, but there's only one flaw--how do I know Roger is the only one involved. I told you, said Bill, I had a hold card to play--and I'm ready to play it tonight--at 11 o'clock--you be at Roger's office--I'll make sure he's there, any anyone else who's involved--we'll get this whole thing settled, once and for all!
Burke smiles--"I'll be there," he promises, taking a swallow of his drink.

NOTES: The implication has been that Roger isn't an especially good businessman, yet he handled that interoffice phone call well, and he said he put together some work charts. Sounds pretty industrious to me.

Things have finally come to a head here, and all the players in the Devlin/Collins/Evans scandal are going to be assembled with Detective Bill Malloy revealing all at 11 PM in Roger's office. Given Roger's attitude and determination to protect himself, will be really allow himself to be exposed. Roger is a proponent of the needs of the one above the needs of the many--his family. He has already stated that he will not be a sacrificial lamb.

Carolyn's reading of the Collins family history will not jive with what happens later in the series. We all know that Barnabas' arrival changes everything, past, present and future--but it's fascinating to hear how things supposedly started with the Collins family.

Burke had no intention of allowing Carolyn to meet James Blair, and the fact that she did and it got back to the Collins family forced Bill Malloy's hand. He knows for sure that Burke is determined to financially destroy the Collins family and he won't allow it. He also knows that the only way to call off Burke is to give him what he wants--Roger on a silver platter. And how cleverly, and with careful plotting, the writers brought it all together!

Episode #46 - The surf pounds at the foot of Widows' Hill like the erratic beat of a frightened heart, a beat that is magnified in the minds of those who can find no relief from mounting tension.

Drawing room - Roger wanders to the fireplace, bites his thumb nail, picks up a paper and listlessly drops it. He goes into the foyer and puts on his trench coat, picks up the phone, puts it down. As he is about to leave the house, the phone rings, and he fearfully picks it up. Is that you, Roger? asks Burke Devlin, calling from the Blue Whale. Who is this? asks Roger. I'll expect you at your office at 11 tonight, says Burke. I don't know what you're talking about, insists Roger--who is this? Your old friend, Burke Devlin, he says--you will be there, won't you? Is this your idea of a joke? queries Roger. Joke? demands Burke--listen, your own plant manager told me he was setting this meeting up--11 o'clock tonight--and I just want to make sure we're not the only ones there. My office? Asks a puzzled Roger--Bill Malloy told you to come to my office? He told me a few things that have been bothering me might be settled, says Burke significantly--well they won't be settled without you--so GET there, Roger. He has no right to tell you that! says Roger--hello? He presses the cut-off buttons, but Burke has hung up. Hello, Burke, Burke? Roger hangs up, terrified. We see him in the foyer, camera pulled back, looking very small.

Roger slips off his coat and goes back into the drawing room and closes the doors. He picks up the phone and dials, asking for Mr. Malloy--do you know where he is?--do you at least know when he'll be back--Mrs. Johnson (ah, a familiar name!), you're his housekeeper, don't you think you ought to know where...oh, never mind. He hangs up. He wanders across the room. Vicki enters. He asks her what she wants. I think I left a drawing in here, she says. It's on the table, says Roger. Thank you says Vicki, picking it up--I think David would kill me if I lost it. She gazes at it proudly. My son might kill you even if you didn't, says Roger, going to the window. It's very good, says Vicki--have you seen it? Yes, I saw it, he says, uninterested. He's got real potential in drawing, says Vicki. I'm in no mood to discuss David's talents, says Roger, great or small. I think this is important, says Vicki, we all know how destructive he's been. Yes, we know, says Roger sarcastically. But this is creative and something he likes to do, points out Vicki. I see, says Roger, and you intend to nurture this sudden surge of creativity? He asks. I think it's a way of reaching him, says Vicki, showing him the world isn't completely hostile. Roger looks at her disdainfully--what makes you think it isn't?--have you ever thought David's view might be the correct one? You don't think that, states Vicki. Don't I, thought? He asks--I was once nine years old, as David is, but unlike him, I was filled with joy and the spirit of living--with love and the promise of a good, full life ahead--maybe it's far better to be nine years old and know how ugly life can be. That isn't so, says Vicki. Maybe it's better, continues Roger, to know you live in a world where hands are reaching out, waiting to tear you to shreds. The sea breeze ruffles their hair. And they do--eagerly, says Roger--anxiously. Everyone doesn't have to think that way, objects Vicki. Miss Pollyanna, mocks Roger, in a world of pain--well, enjoy it while you can--but take my advice, don't spend much time trying to destroy David's instinctive grasp of the truth--let me see the drawing. I took it from David's room without his permission so you can see how frantic I was when I found it missing, says Vicki, handing him the drawing. Roger gazes at it and says, "Collinwood, with all its dark shadows--he's captured it, all right. That's what I thought, says Vicki--I know it's rough and childish, but it shows a definite talent--I even thought how much fun it would be if he could meet a real artist--you know if David could take drawing seriously, it might make a difference in him. Indulge your fantasies, says Roger. Oh, but I have a plan, says Vicki, you see I've been invited to have dinner with an artist in the next week or so. How exciting for you, says Roger, pouring a drink. It happened quite by chance, says Vicki--I was in the Collinwood Restaurant (?), and Maggie Evans, who works there, invited me to have dinner with her and he father. You're going to have dinner with Sam Evans? asks Roger, upset. If that's his name, says Vicki, I've never met him--but Maggie says he's a wonderful artist. Are you sure you haven't met him? asks Roger. If I have, I'm not aware of it, she replies--why? And that's the artist you're planning on having my son meet? he asks. Yes, she says, is there any reason why I shouldn't. Perhaps there are a few things I should tell you about Sam Evans, begins Roger.

Sam opens the door to Bill Malloy and tells him he thinks they've said everything there is to say to each other--right now, I'm trying to do some work. Bill follows him to his easel and tells him to forget the work. Brush in hand, Sam says that's what he's done for too many years--now I'm trying to catch up on as much as I can--maybe I don't have much time for it. You'll have time, says Bill, after 11 o'clock tonight, you'll have all the time you want. Sam looks at him, puzzled, and asks what's so special about 11 o'clock. A meeting, says Bill--and I want you to be there. Sam dips a brush in some paint thinner and cleans it off--I don't like meetings, he says, I never have. You'll be at this meeting, insists Bill, in Roger Collins' office. Mind telling me what's on the agenda for this "meeting"? asks Sam. Not at all, says Bill, you, Roger, Burke Devlin. Sam stops cleaning the brush--I see, he says--who else will be there--me, Burke, Roger Collins, when I get to him, says Bill--Sam, we're going to clear this whole mess up once and for all. Sam returns to cleaning the brush and tells him he told him he was right in t he middle of doing a pile of work--at about 11, I'm going to be right in the middle of... YOU'RE COMING, SAM! shouts Bill--YOU'RE COMING--NOW MAKE UP YOUR MIND TO THAT! You know you've got a one track mind, complains Sam--you keep saying the same thing, over and over--I'd better be there, I'd better be there--did you ever learn to take no for an answer? Not this time, says Bill. Well that's what your answer is: NO, NO, NO! blares Sam, banging the table for emphasis. What are you scared of? asks Bill. Sam looks down and tells Bill he'd better get out of here. A man was sent to prison 10 years ago for a crime I don't think he committed, says Bill, as Sam downs some booze--now that man is going to be in Roger Collins' office at 11 o'clock tonight. None of my affair, insists Sam. You tell him that! says Bill--tell it to Burke, to his face, Sam--tell it to him while Roger Collins is standin' there, listenin'. I think you'd better get out of here, advises Sam. You tell him that, after I let him know what you said to me! shouts Bill--I'm the only thing standing between Roger and a prison sentence. Sam looks Bill in the face and asks, "You told that to Burke?--you told him that that's what I said?" He'll hear it tonight, says Bill. What are you trying to do, destroy me? demands Sam. Yes, says Bill, if that's what you deserve. I'm not going to let it happen, says Sam--I'm warning you, I'm not going to let you tear the one shred of life I have away from me.
There's nothing you can do to stop me, says Bill, not now. What about my daughter? Asks Sam--think what it will do to her! Don't cry on my shoulder, says Bill, you had 10 years to think of that. Now, now--what can I do now? asks Sam desperately. Roger Collins' office, yells Bill, pressing his finger into Sam's chest--11 o'clock sharp, and you be there! Bill goes, but before he does, he tells Sam that there are some things a man has to work out for himself. All right, says Sam, maybe I'll do that. Bill leaves. Maybe I'll do just that, says Sam threateningly, and he snaps his brush in half.

Drawing room, Collinwood - Not that I know Evans well, says Roger, he has a reputation in town--I think you ought to be aware of it. Vicki, sitting in a chair, says all right, he drinks too much--what else? I don't think you understand, insists Roger, when Evans drinks, he gets ugly--he, how shall I say, is not the most pleasant person to be around. Then I'll have to take my chances, says Vicki. Don't you see, I'm trying to help you, says Roger--if you're anxious to meet an artist, why must it be Sam Evans?--there are three or four others in the vicinity. None of whose daughters have invited me to dinner, points out Vicki. I think something can be arranged, says Roger. But that's silly, says Vicki--I'm still a stranger here, and I've found someone friendly enough to invite me to her house--why should I turn her down and then go looking for someone else? Because I'd prefer it, says Roger--as long as you're a member of our household, any associations you make reflect on us. Then I won't tell anyone where I'm from, says Vicki. Don't be rude, says Roger, annoyed. Vicki rises and apologizes if she was rude--but I do think it's a little ridiculous--I mean it--all this fuss over a simple dinner invitation--unless there's some other reason you don't want me to meet Sam Evans. Of course not, says Roger, instantly guarded. I really don't see how my having dinner with the Evanses can possibly reflect on your family, says Vicki. This town thrives on gossip, says Roger. You mean it's got secrets to tell? smiles Vicki. I've asked you not to go to his home, let's end it there, shall we? insists Roger. All right, says Vicki. If you'll excuse me, he says, I've got some phone calls to make, I don't want to be disturbed. Are you sure there's not some other reason you don't want me to go there? persists Vicki. Absolutely not, he says, please excuse me.
Yes, she says, and turns to go, but she gives him a reproachful look before closing the doors behind her. Roger picks up the phone. Out in the foyer, Vicki answers the door to Bill, who barges in. "I want to see Roger Collins," he says, as if giving an order.

Bill stands by the drawing room doors, rocking impatiently. Mr. Collins said he didn't want to be disturbed, reports Vicki. Please tell him I'm here and want to see him! commands Bill. He's got some calls to make, protests Vicki. If you don't knock on that door, I will! says Bill. On her way to the doors, Vicki turns and asks Bill if he knows a man named Sam Evans. What about him? asks Bill. I was just wondering what kind of man he was, says Vicki. I think I might learn the answer to that one tonight, predicts Bill--why do you ask? I suppose it's silly, but... begins Vicki. Roger exits the drawing room. Bill greets him. I've been trying to reach you, Malloy, says Roger curtly. I'm here, says Bill, with a special invitation just for you. I know about your invitation, says Roger angrily, now get inside--he points into the drawing room. I think that might be a good idea, agrees Bill, heading in. Roger asks, I want to know who you think you are, arranging meetings between yourself and Devlin? Vicki stands in the foyer, perturbed, and she takes David's drawing and goes upstairs with it.

So you know about it, do ya? Bill asks Roger, rubbing one hand against the other. You bet I do! says Roger, Burke called me, wanted to be sure I'd be here. And you will, says Bill, 11 o'clock tonight, your office. Who the devil do you think you are, what gives you the right to come in here and order me about? demands Roger, furious. Calm down, says Bill, just calm down. I'm going to get you fired, so help me! threatens Roger. Maybe, says Bill, arms crossed over his chest, but before that happens, you, me Burke and Sam Evans are going to have this out! Sam Evans? asks Roger, agitated, is he coming there, too? Yes, says Bill. I really believe you've lost your mind! cries Roger. Like you did 10 years ago when you let Burke be convicted of manslaughter? Asks Bill. He was guilty and you know it! insists Roger. Sure he was, says Bill, that's what you told the jury from the witness stand, but you, Sam and I know it wasn't true! Evans is an idiot and knows nothing! says Roger. I'm through arguing with you, says Bill, I came here to tell you to be in your office tonight. But it's ridiculous to ask Evans there! says Roger. COME OFF IT, ROGER! shouts Bill--it's the end of the road, and you know it!
Roger looks at him--what are you trying to do to me, destroy me? he asks. Destroy me, says Bill--that's what Sam said--those same words. But it was 10 years ago, it's over now! says Roger desperately. Not for Burke, it isn't, says Bill. ALL RIGHT, he went to prison, blathers Roger, but he's out!--and he's a rich man--and he hasn't lost anything by it--Bill, if you have any feeling for me or my family... Don't you throw that at me, Roger! says Bill, I'm warnin' ya--you think it's easy for me to do this?--well let me tell ya something, I went through hell before I made this decision--hell, Roger!--and now it's made!--we're gonna have this meetin'. Roger closes his eyes in misery--what good will it do? he demands. It will clear up a crime, that's what it will do! says Bill--it will keep Burke from eatin' away at the rest of your family. And I'm to be the sacrifice, is that it? asks Roger with a bitter smile. It's you or the family, Roger, says Bill--that's where I had to choose--I'm not about to sit around and let Burke make your sister pay for something you did to him! Roger doesn't speak for a moment, he just walks away and sits down on the sofa--Evans will never show up, he predicts. Yes he will, says Bill, I promise you that. He has nothing to say, states Roger. Yes he does, Bill assures him, I promise you that, too. My sister will never forgive you, says Roger (he sounds a lot like David now, petulant and childish). Maybe not, agrees Bill, look, Roger, it still doesn't have to be this way--call the police, tell them the truth--and then we won't have to have the meetin'. Roger looks up at him--and that's how you keep your hands clean, is that it? he says, rising from the sofa. Bill doesn't reply at first, then says all right--he reaches into his pocket to check his watch--it's about 10, he says, I'm going straight home--you'll leave here about ten to 11 to be at your office on time--so that gives you about 50 minutes to decide whether or not you're going to call the police--if you do, phone me at home and let me know, and I'll cancel the meetin'--but if you don't, you better show up at your office, at 11 o'clock! Bill leaves the room and the house. Roger looks as if he could throttle someone.

10:15 - Vicki exits the kitchen and goes into the drawing room to find Roger on the phone. Be sure you're there, he says, yes I...I'm sorry, I can't talk anymore. You seem to be making a habit of walking in on telephone conversations, he says disapprovingly. I'm sorry, but I have to talk to you about something, Vicki insists. I really don't have the time to discuss anything more with you, he says. It's about Mr. Evans, she says--remember the day after I came here, I told you I met a strange man on the edge of the cliff--he seemed very anxious to get in touch with you--he said his name was Sam and that he was looking for you. I remember it, he says shortly, what about it? He seemed very frightening and strange, she says--was that man Sam Evans? I can't see what difference it makes whether it was or not, says Roger. Because you said you hardly knew him, says Vicki. What if I did? says Roger. You also seemed very anxious that I shouldn't meet him again, she says. Because I was trying to keep you from being involved with a drunken fool who might... Who might what? demands Vicki, tell me something about myself? I have no idea what you're talking about, says Roger. My past, me, who I am, she says, where I came from before I was left in that foundling home--is that what you're afraid of, that Mr. Evans can tell me those things? Roger bursts into bitter laughter. It's not supposed to be funny, protests Vicki. Oh, but it is, he says, you don't really know quite how funny you are! he laughs. Suppose you just answer my question, says Vicki. Miss Winters, I haven't got time for anymore of this nonsense, I have a very important meeting... I just want to know if Mr. Evans knows something about my past or not, insists Vicki. As far as I'm concerned, says Roger, Sam Evans' knowledge is as deep as the bottom of a bottle--now why don't you go upstairs and leave me alone? I intend to talk to him, says Vicki--I just want you to know that. she leaves the room. Her past, says Roger, pouring a drink and swallowing big. He looks terrified. He finishes the glass and picks up his coat from the foyer table, then leaves the house. The clock ticks audibly. It's 10:20.

11:00 - Roger's office - Sam Evans arrives. Welcome to the club, Sam, says Burke, standing in the shadows. Who is it? asks Sam. Glad to see you could make it on time, says Burke, turning on a lamp--have a chair. I'd rather stand, says Sam. Burke sits at Roger's desk and tells Sam the rest of the group will be here pretty soon. Sam paces and nods. Why are you so nervous? Asks Burke. Just a little restless, says Sam. If you'd only sit down, says Burke, gesturing to a chair across from him. Roger enters. Mr. Collins, greets Burke happily, this is a surprise--I had no idea you would show up! Where's Malloy? asks Roger, hasn't he gotten here yet? Burke was here when I arrived, says Sam. Don't be impatient, advises Burke, yes, it's only two minutes after 11--he'll be here soon--after all, I've been waiting 10 years for this
--I can certainly wait a few more minutes. Roger looks at Sam, who looks at Burke--and all three are solemn.

NOTES: Remember Mr. Grant telling Mary Richards, "You've got spunk--I hate spunk!" I suspect Roger was thinking the same thing about Vicki today, too, as immersed in the prospect of his own doom as he is. Go, Vicki, you have your priorities and Roger has his, and I love the way you get in his face about your intentions. Everyone has his or her raison d'etre--Vicki is sure Roger is hiding the truth about her past. She is so far from what's troubling him and the real reason he doesn't want her to meet up with Sam, he can't help finding it hilarious.

The threesome is assembled now, all that's missing is the detective. Roger seems to be a bullying man, but he's met his match in Bill Malloy, who is an even bigger, meaner bully, when he's protecting Liz, David and Carolyn. It's clear Bill has no love for Roger, and would gladly see him swing. It didn't take as much persuading to get Sam to come; we sense that Sam has been carrying around a huge load of guilt for years, and actually welcomes the chance to get rid of it by confessing. Roger had undoubtedly convinced himself that Burke was guilty, and believes that is the end of it. He has far less conscience than Sam does in this ugly matter..

Interesting that Roger chose to take his chances with a meeting rather than by calling the police. Perhaps he believes he can plea bargain his way out of this. Should be interesting to see what happens when Malloy puts in an appearance and things start to cook.

I want to praise Paul Schofield's acting thus far. He's excellent--laconic, kindly, caring, yet, when necessary, shows his claws and raises his voice to great effect. His accent is wonderful and his interaction with Burke, Sam and Roger amazing in these early eps. Bravo!

Love, Robin