Author Topic: Favorite Julia Scenes (per MB request)  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Favorite Julia Scenes (per MB request)
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:36:24 PM »
From another thread--wherein folks started listing their Favorite Julia excuses...MB suggested a new thread to list favorite Julia scenes...

"Take it away Rosedale!"
Julia99

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Julia Scenes (per MB request)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:41:09 AM »
Today's Quote is from my absolute favorite episode, 290.  In particular it's from the scene in the drawing room in which Julia makes it absolutely clear to Barnabas that she knows he is a vampire.  "I understand completely," she says, grinning like a Cheshire cat, when he tells her he can't meet with her in the morning, or in the afternoon.  And then after he's gone, she talks to his portrait, leaving us with no doubt that she knows he's planning to kill her.  What could be better than that?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
i'm with lydia on this one.

the above mentioned scene is the creamiest. in fact most of julia's introductory scenes...coy,evasive,crafty...are among her best ever.

much is made of the unfulfilled barnabas/julia "romance" but personally i prefer their earlier cat-and-mouse dynamics. it's just too much fun. i always enjoy julia as a character but in later years when she's just sort of functioning as barnabas' helper she's not as compelling.

for that reason her take on "hoffman" during the 1970 parallel time storyline is a favorite of mine. i like julia with and edge.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:15:08 PM »
yes, "Hoffman" portrayed an evilness.   

she was kind of scary and seemed to have a taboo interest in Angelique other than faithful servant (to which sometimes i think that Angelique used to play on), which added a certain creepiness to the ever faithful and evil Hoffman.   Was this another of Grayson Hall's great acting devises, such as the Woe is me I'm in love with Barnaby.

I'm just curious as to how Dr. Julia Hoffman and Hoffman would have gotten on in PT?

and has the question ever been raised if she was a descendant of Magda Racosi?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:54:56 PM »
i like julia with and edge.

Then I suspect you would actually like Julia Collins - to say she has an edge would be an understatement. You should really give 1841PT a try - if only for Grayson's character alone. (Though I think 1841PT has much to offer.)

seemed to have a taboo interest in Angelique other than faithful servant (to which sometimes i think that Angelique used to play on), which added a certain creepiness to the ever faithful and evil Hoffman.   Was this another of Grayson Hall's great acting devises

That subtext comes directly from Rebecca and the relationship between the first Mrs. DeWinter(Angelique in 1970PT) and her extremely faithful servant Mrs. Danvers(Hoffman in 1970PT).

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:35:15 AM »
I rather like her when she goes up against Cassandra and Angelique.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:02:49 AM »
Oh God, where to begin.  One scene that comes to mind is the one where Dave Woodard comes to Collinwood to read her the riot act and she goes on this long, very convincing diatribe about how "bored" she is.  It's really choice Julia. 

I think the character was toned down somewhat after the 1795 period.  There are of course still halcyon moments throughout Julia's stories.  I love ALL her showdowns with Nicholas Blair.  There's even a fab scene where she is visiting Joe Haskell at the hospital and she  stalks to the door, clutching her gloves, shouldering her bag, lifting her chin, pursing her lips defiantly, and declaims, "It's time for a showdown with ... NICHOLAS Blair!"

One of my favorite moments during later Leviathan is when we get one last Nicholas/Julia scene, at Jeb's carriage house.  Nicholas basically asks Julia what the hell she's up to, and Julia, giving him the business end of her chin again, scowls and cordially invites the warlock:  "You GUESS."

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 04:06:17 AM »
mysterious,

i do have 1841 parallel time somewhere in my future. 1840 started to bore me to tears so i've gone back and rewatched a few favorite storylines in recent years.

i sort of like that there's still a part of the series i have yet to see. it's like a little treat to look forward to at some point.

but i do intend to finish the series and back on topic a new grayson hall characterization is certainly an enticement. part of the reason i felt worn out by 1840 is that it seemed to me that grayson and frid were really exhausted.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:59 AM »
mscbryk, do try parallel time 1841!  I loved it until the plot shutdowns necessitated by the series cancellation started kicking in.

Returning to the original subject of this topic: in episode 537 Julia says two words: “Men die,” with beautiful despair.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:53 AM »
I am a Julia/Grayson nut. I admit it. There isn't a scene that Grayson played (in Dark Shadows and elsewhere) that I didn't appreciate in one way or another. But anyway, there are so many scenes and Julia mannerisms...I can't name them all! LOL
2 things off the top of my head:[spoiler] when Julia and Barnabas are working on Adam, and Barnabas says something to the effect of: "He will do; he has a handsome face." Julia says: "Because of Vicki?" B then says "Well, Jeff Clarck is younger than I." J looks at hm and says: "For some women that wouldn't make a difference." I loved that scene! When  get to that part of the show I always rewind it a few times just to absorb his and her reaction.
I also love in 1840 when B&J both say, on separate scenes, that they are "that" devoted to one another.[/spoiler]
As far as her mannerisms are concerned, I should post some of my favorite screen caps one day...each look and tilt of the head is priceless!
I could go on and on...LOL

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 04:30:33 AM »
I am going to have to think long and hard about this but I agree with Gothick.  I just finished watching those Nicholas Blair Julia showdown scenes and they are PRICELESS!  I love them!  I love that she has the balls to confront him even some *COUGH Angelique *COUGH* creatures wouldn't!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »
There are sooo many.  I am watching the show all the way through for the first time, i've only seen snippets as cable outlets and access allowed.  
I'm at the Dream Curse/Cassandra storyline and I do love the scene between the two gals:

C:  I think you're....inlove with him.
J: [snidely]  NOT nearly as much as you....

Julia99

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
I have so many favorite Julia scenes that it's difficult to choose.

One that stands out in my mind is her exchange with Barnabas after her haircut in '68. I love how she was able to enjoy his compliment, but didn't fall at his feet over it like one of his young misses would have done, and basically asks him what he really wants. lol.

The first confrontation with Barnabas, in her bedroom, is classic Julia. Who but Julia would confront a vampire, alone and without any protection?

Julia slapping "Cassandra" is also classic. She should have done that on a regular basis with Angelique.

I also love her calm and cool reply to a jealous Angelique in 1840, "I am devoted to him. You may interpret that any way you like."
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »
there's a whiff of the dominatrix to several of julia's scene's with barnabas in 1967...

in one unbelievable bit of brazenness she lights up a cigarette off a candelabra during an exchange.

more on barnabas' end but in a similar vein there's choice scene where he bluntly informs julia that she's "a meddlesome and domineering woman" and that "if the modern man will tolerate her type of woman that's his problem but he will have none of it".

OUCH!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 04:19:53 PM »
in a similar vein there's choice scene where he bluntly informs julia that she's "a meddlesome and domineering woman" and that "if the modern man will tolerate her type of woman that's his problem but he will have none of it".

And then for the next 4 years. . he is "lost without her"....salvo!  Seems like he needs a domineering, err rather a non-milk toast twittering SYT woman.   [ghost_rolleyes]
Julia99