Author Topic: The HoDS celebration at the Vista  (Read 6669 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The HoDS celebration at the Vista
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 12:36:18 AM »
Thanks, MB!

From this point on, pics were hard to get once Jay Nass and his sense of entitlement moved in front of several people.

It's usual for the star to display their cement-covered hand(s) to be photographed, but Frid would have none of that.  "Fast, fast, faster" he told the staff wiping his hand after it came out of the bucket.  When he was again standing, he obliged the requests to turn and face the fans, many of whom, I suspect, hadn't been able to see much up to this point.  Then he was asked if he'd like to write his name and called Jim Pierson over to consult.  He was shown the wooden stylus and a chair was set behind him; Frid bent down and added his initials (also seen in Guy Haines' camera), then accepted help back up ("Put some muscle").  He quickly headed toward the side exit and insisted on returning to his limo.

A few of our fantastic Cousins

The name in the upper left corner was not written by Frid.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 06:42:04 AM »
Great pics! Almost makes me feel like I was there ( ... instead of two blocks away  [ghost_blink]).
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
I feel for you, Phillippe.  And did it really take over an hour just to get everyone inside who wanted to see the movie and to hand out popcorn and soda?  Geezus.  If they weren't unhappy before, some got really upset over the delay in starting the movie!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2010, 09:34:12 PM »
I saw Seizure once, at a DS party...I've always meant to see it again.

I'm rather fond of it.  I've heard it described as Oliver Stone's lost classic and as utter garbage.  I think it falls somewhere in the middle.  I just wish that someone would give it a proper DVD release.

Apparently the original title was going to be Queen of Horror and David del Valle waggishly wrote about the stir in town upon seeing a marquee that read "Jonathan Frid--Queen of Horror."  Naughty!

Naughy indeed!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 07:20:19 AM »
Oh, yes - I was in line for about 70 minutes and wishing I hadn't worn a t-shirt under my shirt since it was in the 90s (or, if the L.A. Times article is correct, in the 100s), but I had anticipated air conditioning in the theater. After already being worn out by doing a lot of running in airport terminals the day before, I didn't make it to any of Friday's events until afternoon.  [ghost_cheesy] And now I seem to be paying with a cold which I probably picked up on the flight home (unless anyone else has come down with this?).

I forgot to mention something about the "Night of Dark Shadows" screening, which doesn't really belong in this thread, but it's already there - and that is, the print of the film was completely square - no widescreen or letterbox!

Thanks for the comments about "Seizure." I hope I'll get the chance to see it sometime. The Bergman film it reminded me of is actually "Hour of the Wolf", not "Night of the Wolf." Either way, it doesn't sound like a Bergman film ...
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 09:02:07 AM »
Ah- that's because it was projected from a pan n'scan laserdisc or laserdisc copy.  It's never been released on home video in widescreen-- though the iTunes/Amazon downloads are widescreen...

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »
Love your recap, Midnite!

Now, let me preface this by saying that I am in no way criticizing him (so there's no need for responses of the "JF is in his 80s and can't get around the way he used to and it was hot that day and he had every right not to be in a good mood" variety), but I get the sense that El Frid was not in the best of moods.  He doesn't strike me as someone who necessarily wants to be fussed over or needs to be the center of attention.  Actually, I quite like the idea of an irritated JF showing up, doing his bit, and then getting back into his limo as quickly as possible.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 06:31:13 PM »

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »
well, Claud, He's 80...nno, noo, only kidding.   

Frid always struck me that he was not happy playing Barnabas.  I think he considered himself a serious actor (and from what we see with what he did with Barnabas, that rings true) and the he soon tired of all the "hoopla" over the reluctant vampire.  some of the interviews he did on the dvd sets, at times he seems to be pretty much above the whole Barnabas craze.    Just my opinion.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 12:10:59 AM »
i agree, & i think he's pretty much admitted that as well. i think the only reason he's doing the Cons NOW is cause he's in his 80's. & i think he also realizes that the show is NOT going to to away. i read an interview recently that he said he was simply aweful in "Dark Shadows" i don't think he was actually. but i can understand his frustration with the character back than.

i can fully understand why he wanted to play "Bramwell" back than as well. but the ONLY downside to him playing that is 2 things, the show getting Cancelled. & the storyline that they chose for it wasn't very good. it's i think starts out good but than when the show got Cancelled was rushed. that's how it feels to me. so i think he did enjoy that role cause it was a nice breath of fresh air.  on the show "Law & Order" if you wanted to be on that show you would have to realize that you won't get really HARDLY any character development.  tiny bits here & there & that's about it. cept for this last season & season 7 i think? or was it season 6? one or the other the last season with "Claire Kincaid"  anyways my point is i think he had to

kinda force himself to do the role in a way. the longer he was in it i mean. i'm sure he loved the work. but doing the same part over a long period of time got to him after awhile. & if i'm not mistake that's also why he wanted the role or "Quentin" to be created as well? cause it was VERY difficult for him to remember all his lines. i also think that if the show hadn't gotten Cancelled when it did. that he prolly would have left it not long afer anyways, at some point he would have. i'm guessing it prolly wouldn't have been a soap that lasted 20 years like some of them cause "J.Frid" i don't think could stand playing that role as long as some people would play. cause like you said. he considers himself a Serious Actor.

& he kinda did get stuck in the Horror Genre. i think he is right when on why he quit doing movies & tv. that he prolly would be blacklisted i forget the term into that particular Genre. if you look at the films he DID end up doing they are Horror films. & he realized that's all he was going to get. so he just said screw it & Quit.  it kinda reminds me of "Bela Lugosi" he in Germany played drama parts in film if i'm not mistaken & in plays. & when he started with "Dracula" & did the film he got stuck with the horror Genre the rest of his life. even though he did do a few comedies here & there.

Boris Karloff NEVER had a problem with it. he loved it cause he was grateful for a Career.  Horror Films gave that to him. & he NEVER forgot it. i think "Frid" is grateful that "Dark Shadows" gave him a career but i don't think he wanted or planned on doing JUST those types of roles. i think he's more like "Christopher Lee" he wanted & wants to be known more for his other roles. if you say something to Mr. Lee about how that's best known for. he'll get angry  cause he doesn't want that.

he's also grateful for the horror Genre for giving him a Career as well. but he's done other roles that have become VERY Famous & likes to be known for those as well. where he got lucky & was able to do various roles in really basically every Genre there is. where J. Frid didn't have that. i think he craved it. i think he's also grateful to his fans as well. but for those

who have seen him act in plays through the years. i think he enjoys hearing stories about that even more. this is just one guys opinion. i may be wrong on some of it. so in short i'm just guessing. he he.