Author Topic: Alexandra Moltke's Last Day  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandra Moltke's Last Day
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2002, 01:19:14 AM »
I can't wait to see her and cut up and make fun of her. I know I am wicked.Hahhahha ;DPaul
Paul

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2002, 05:23:22 AM »
IMHO, Kate Jackson would have been perfect as a replacement for AM as Vicki.

After reading all the posts in this thread, I started thinking that it might be wild if one year at the DS Fest, they had a celebrity panel featuring Betsy Durkin, Carolyn Groves, James Hall, Diana Walker, Mark Allen, and the original Matthew Morgan, whose name escapes me (is he still alive?).  I wouldn't be surprised if they had some interesting stories to tell about their experiences on DS.

Regards,

John

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2002, 05:48:26 AM »
The first Matthew Morgan was played by George Mitchell.   I thought he was quite good in the role.  He died in 1972 according to the IMBD.  :)
MM

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2002, 05:48:48 AM »
The original Matthew Morgan's name is George Mitchell. That would be a dream come true if that panel of substitutes could be assembled for a discussion. They would be forthcoming because they have nothing to lose. I bet they never beleived back then that they would be discussed so thoroughly over 30 years later.Paul
Paul

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2002, 05:29:29 PM »
I certainly do not envy the women who portrayed Victoria after AM left the show.  I don't remember these episodes and I'm not sure when I started watching as a child.  I didn't remember the Victoria Winters character at all but when Sci Fi started over at the beginning a year ago but I've seen what a huge part of the show she was especially before Barnabas.  

With a character that huge in the show I doubt that anyone could have come in and portrayed her successfully because in the eyes of most viewers Alexandra Moltke was Victoria Winters.  Can you imagine another actor coming in after 2 1/2 years and successfully portraying Barnabas Collins?  I can't.

It will be interesting for me to watch Betsy Durkin in this role next week.  I believe I was watching the show by the end of '68, I just don't remember the current plot line at all.

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
;DRe: Alexandra Moltke's Last Day
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2002, 05:45:22 PM »
;D
I believe I was watching the show by the end of '68, I just don't remember the current plot line at all.

I know I was watching, but I don't remember this either.  Hmmm.....maybe I was grounded and couldn't watch for a while.  Wouldn't be the first time! ;D  As a matter of fact - I could never move back home because, technically speaking, I still am.  I believe it was, "you're grounded for the rest of your life!"   Sheesh, my parents had no sense of humor  ::)

Franimal

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2002, 08:20:31 PM »
Believe it or not, Betsy Durkin beat out Jacklyn Smith (then Mrs. Roger Davis) for the role of Victoria Winters.

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2002, 10:00:59 PM »
>:(I bet the reason Betsy Durkin beat out Jaclyn Smith was because Jacyln wanted more money. What other reasin could there possibly be? :-/
Paul

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2002, 10:51:40 PM »
Believe it or not, Betsy Durkin beat out Jacklyn Smith (then Mrs. Roger Davis) for the role of Victoria Winters.

My understanding is that Jaclyn Smith, who was dating Roger Davis at the time (what did she see in him???) was offered the role but turned it down. It may well be that she was offered the role AFTER Betsy Durkin was let go, since Carolyn Groves bears a striking resemblance to a young Smith.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2002, 11:06:31 PM »
I have such mixed feelings about this. On one hand Vicky's role deteriorates so drastically that I am just happy for AM to get out of it! Replacing her was such a BAD idea, it was just too far into the show.

I have read that Vicky wanted very much to come back, but as a different character. That was never to be, which I think is a real crime. At least she had the dignity to refuse the dopey "I don't understand" bit a second time.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2002, 12:32:20 AM »
I don't remember seeing the first Vicki replacement.  I saw the 2nd one and while she looked similar I didn't care too much for her.  *I think Jacklyn Smith or Kate Jackson would have been good choices.

Knowing what stories came after, I have a hard time imaging what storyline they would have had for Vicki if she stayed. (I kind of liked intergrating Maggie into the Collins household and they couldn't have 2 governesses, although with David and Amy maybe they did need 2!)  

I thought Vicki's departure was very fitting.  Too bad, she didn't stay until the end, but perhaps she thought she might be returning so then there really wouldn't have been a point for her to stick it out.  

HobbiesDS 8)
HobbiesDS

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2002, 12:44:26 AM »
At least it was Betsy Durkin and Roger Davis who got 'married' on the show . . . those two hams (when it comes to acting) sure deserved each other  ;D I agree with kuanyin about AM's role being deteriated. Too bad they didn't get a Rose Marie's baby storyline started and have Vicki become possesed, maybe AM would've stayed then lol. Too bad they never let her be a 'bad' girl like she wanted.

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2002, 01:07:35 AM »
>:(I think they could have easily camoflauged the pregnancy for several more months and the role would never have had to have been recast. They did it for eight and a half months with Mary Stuart on Search For Tomorrows in the fifties and it was live.Paul :-[
Paul

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2002, 01:34:10 AM »
>:(I think they could have easily camoflauged the pregnancy for several more months and the role would never have had to have been recast. They did it for eight and a half months with Mary Stuart on Search For Tomorrows in the fifties and it was live.Paul :-[

Yeah I agree. I can't even tell she's pregnent right now on the show. She was barely pregnent . . . I mean if she had her child in late June of 1969, she would've been like 1 and a half months pregnent during her last episodes.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2002, 03:06:17 AM »
Too bad they didn't get a Rose Marie's baby storyline started and have Vicki become possesed, maybe AM would've stayed then lol. Too bad they never let her be a 'bad' girl like she wanted.

Actually, Alexandra Moltke has said that she feared such a story line was being planned (using her real life pregnancy in a Rosemary's Baby rip-off) and was one of the chief reasons she wanted to get out of there when she did.

She had no interest in returning to the show afterward, as Victoria or any other character; but while she was still on the show, she did ask Dan Curtis if she could play some other role. She wanted to be a vampire or some other villain.

One wonders what they would have done with her in the 1897 story line. Both she and Joel Crothers left DS because of their dissatisfaction with their roles; yet the 1897 story line was right around the corner.