Author Topic: Tribute to Grayson Hall! (COURTESY OF RJ)  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Tribute to Grayson Hall! (COURTESY OF RJ)
« on: July 19, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
I found this on Julia99's Twitter!  Great tribute from the fest with one or two pics I had never seen and a great scene with Magda I watched this weekend! I swear in her last play she looks like Johnny's Mad Hatter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSC9DhpKlTI&feature=youtu.be
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Tribute to Grayson Hall! (COURTESY OF RJ)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »
Great tribute - thanks so much for the link.  [ghost_smiley]

I swear in her last play she looks like Johnny's Mad Hatter!

GMTA:
One in particular looks like she could have played the Mad Hatter in a version of Alice in Wonderland.  [b003])
With the hat and that shock of red hair, she could also be Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter's mother.  [snow_wink]

And great new avatar.  [thumbleft]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »
I remember you saying that as well MB!  I thought the same thing when I first saw pics coming out of him as I had read RJ's book! :)  Thanks for the comment on the avatar!  I really like her eyes!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
One of my fave moments from "Satan in High Heels"--"Who needs a cat?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BjBPHjdHDw&NR=1

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »
I like "In the kitchen!" LOL

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:21:28 AM »
Thanks for the link. I loved all the old pictures and not having seen any of them, it was a real treat!

I wonder, if Grayson were alive today, do you think she'd be going to any of the Festivals?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:46 AM »
I don't know if she would or not! She would be near JF's age. I gues it would depend on her health!

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:52:55 AM »
Last year, during the cast reunion, the remaining cast was asked who of those that has passed would've enjoyed the Fests the most?  They all agreed it would've been Grayson--  

Who can resist the love?  David Selby has a nice quote in his new book about it all:

"I don't care if the attention is deserved or not.  I do not despair that people still call out "Quentin," or "Enjoyed you on Dark Shadows.  I don't feel imprisoned by the past.  It's nice to be remembered."
Julia99

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:51:21 AM »
I wasn't for sure if she would or not.  Nice thought!

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:00:31 PM »
Loved it!! Loved it!!!

Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »
I always imagine Grayson swooping into a Fest much like Auntie Mame, and ruling the room with her larger-than-life personality and razor-sharp wit.  And, of course, all of us "boys" would be completely spellbound and hoping for a chance to hang out with her in the hotel's lounge, to be regaled with deliciously gossipy show biz tales long into the night.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 06:52:37 AM »
SATURDAY

Remembering Grayson

RJ told her audience that Sam, at 89, was alive and kicking, and that Matt said hello and was sorry he couldn't be there.  It's a shame that Karlen missed her superb video, especially since it included a clip of Magda opposite Carl Collins.  I think it was one of the emcees that said, in response to the photos of Grayson from The Screens, that it was more of Grayson than he'd ever seen.  RJ:  "Styrofoam."

KLS talked about how she and Lara Parker consulted on their wardrobe choices because heaven forbid they wear the same thing twice, but there really was a point to that, because she had just complimented RJ on her outfit:

The author in front of the Daily Planet,
er, Grill (in fabulous red shoes)

KLS also brought up Grayson's stylishness, saying she loved fashion and had her own kind of look.  She also loved to cook-- Mexican, Japanese, etc.-- and she used all the right pots and pans and special ingredients.  Her gazpacho was made from scratch (is there any other way to make it?) and part of an entire Mexican meal.  KLS had no idea at the time of her visit that their last conversation had taken place.  As a young actor, she was blessed to work with veteran actors of TV, film and stage, including Grayson, who had received her Academy Award nomination only two years before.

RJ joked about planting questions with the visitors to her dealer's table, and the first person to ask a question admitted to being one (though it was a matter of being asked to take her question to the Q&A).  Debbie wanted to know how RJ became interested in taking on Grayson's biography.  RJ spoke of her interest in the theater, and was impressed by her in That Darn Cat when she scratched her name on the back of the watch, but also recalled her from other things.  A friend sent his audition tape for NoDS, and she became involved in online posting-- the SciFi boards, etc. and she "got sucked in."  And she talked about Gothick's research that led to her own.  Grayson had a certain range, she said, and she was brilliant at it.  Plus, she had an affinity for 40 year old red-headed ladies.

A fan asked if Grayson really was descended from Romanian gypsies.  RJ:  Magda was a gift from Sam, who patterned the character after her grandmother.

KLS was complimented for her good imitation of Grayson in one of the Big Finish audio CDs, which I'm curious to hear more about!  She admitted that Grayson was an exceptional and unusual character on her own and declined to reprise it for the audience.  Then, seemingly out of the blue, she asked if Gary from Baltimore, MD was present, but there wasn't any answer.  Apparently, Gary rang her room at 3:05 a.m. and she just wanted to say, "It's not the thing to do."

James said he enjoyed KLS' books and asked if it was intimidating to work with Grayson.  KLS answered that although Grayson had an edge, she was not.  She added that if Grayson felt snarky, she would get snarky.  She also found her terribly funny, and spoke about how their relationship would revolve around food-- the cast going to the favorite watering hole after work, and dinner at strange places, including a particularly odd Chinese establishment.

RJ was asked what the most surprising thing was that she found out about Grayson.  RJ:  The great mystery of when she was born.  Grayson was very secretive about her age, and her lie began when she shaved off a year at the age of 19; even Matt didn't know her real age, and he had some difficult dealings in the past because of it.  RJ also brought up the mystery of her first marriage, which she said changed Grayson fundamentally.

John Karlen finally arrived and asked if everyone slept okay.  KLS:  "Not all of us."  He spoke about "lovely Grayson," unique and the best Mexican cook ever, and she was charismatic and "just fun to be around."  The same fan asked KLS to relate her most vivid memory of Grayson on the set, and what came to mind was Grayson's first day when her own character was at the sanitarium, and Magda "in all of that hair," but no single scene stood out for her.  She said Grayson was a little bit nervous when she came on.  RJ:  "It was this show or Ohio."  KLS and Karlen shared more recollections-- Grayson's many mannerisms, and watching her smoke and blow into the air; there were her freckles, and she was so subconscious about her pale skin.  So when she brought up KLS' false eyelashes, she brought up Grayson's leg makeup.  KLS:  "You can tell I was not intimidated."  More recollections:  Grayson had a great face.  But you had to watch what you said around her, because someone else would hear it down the line (!).

Karlen called her a wonderful woman and spoke about her apartment on 57th, across from Carnegie Hall (?), and it was dark, and it was good, and it was rent controlled.

A fan who was introduced to Julia through his partner talked about the trust her character inspired, and was told that she took on a maternal role with the cast, though not necessarily with KLS.  She told the story of Lord and Lady Finch, the birds that died in her care while Grayson was on vacation in Acapulco.

It was a wonderful segment.  And if anyone has any additions or corrections to what I've related, please do share!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 02:46:36 PM »
Thank you so much, Midnite.  You are truly a Lioness amongst Scribes!

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »
I wish that John Karlen would have arrrived on time to see the scene with him and Grayson. I would love to hear some his thoughts of playing Carl opposite her Magda.  [ghost_wub] I don't know the circumstances but nevertheless as Midnite commented it would have been nice.

I personally would like to hear David Selby talk about Grayson as I believe he said he loved her "dearly." I think he would have some nice stories to tell?  I love KLS but I don't think she was the best choice to talk about GH as she just repeated her leg makeup story from RJ's book and it doesn't seem that they had a close relationship.  I may be taking this the wrong way but it's jus the impression I am left with.   And for the record I have nothing against Katie Lee Star!  [ghost_wink]

RJ you look smashing and I love the heels! ;)

Thanks so much for sharing this segment Midnite.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »
For what it's worth... a fan who helped run GH's revived fan club in the late 1970s (the club which published Shades of Grayson) told me that GH had been approached to attend some of the conventions of that time, which were I think organized by a woman named Barb who is no longer involved in fandom.  Apparently GH felt very nervous about being around big crowds of enthusiastic fans and that was why she hesitated to agree and ultimately never did attend a fan event.  When a dinner in GH's honor was organized in '82 (the "Grayson Gathering"), she was very particular about the length of the guest list and whittled it down until it was only about 15 people, I think.

In the original edition of the DS Almanac, they print from an interview somebody did (which I was never able to track down) where GH described doing a pub appearance alongside JF at some point in the late Sixties and how the police cordon gave way and there was this surge of screaming, semi hysterical fans towards the car where GH and JF was sitting.  Grayson commented something like "I'm an old war-horse, but THAT frightened me!"

So, I personally think that if GH were around today, it's unlikely we would be seeing her at the fan conventions.  I imagine her in blissful retirement, happily tending her flowers at her estate.

G.