Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1027  (Read 2251 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1027
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1027
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:27:18 AM »
After gruelling, careful months spent playing spy in 1897, [spoiler]followed by more weeks where everything had fallen apart and he was on the run,[/spoiler] Barnabas has no time for it anymore.  Instead, he demands that the truth come to him, despite any risks.   He outs Ang the moment he suspects her again.   To hell with safety or subtlety...   For a few seconds, when Ang said her powers were stronger than his, and he then answered "We shall see", I even thought Barnabas might prove otherwise on the spot by disappearing in front of her eyes, instead of just saying goodbye!

Hooray, Evil Tim Stokes!!   Now the storyline is up and running!   He's drinking from the first second we lay eyes on him, and he can't even put the drink down long enough to pick up the phone!   Ang didn't drop in on her father before this?   Now she knows that her father's experiments were responsible for her comeback, but earlier, she confessed to having no clue how she'd survived.

TES is their stepfather?   Why?   If he was their biological father, it explains how an Angelique exists in PT1970... she'd be the ancestor of original Ang and Ben.

When Stokes started searching the Old House, at first I thought he was looking for booze...  Good scene.

Keep on walking, Sabrina.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:02:41 PM »
TES is their stepfather?   Why?   If he was their biological father, it explains how an Angelique exists in PT1970... she'd be the ancestor of original Ang and Ben.

Maybe they thought it was too much of a stretch for TES to be Angelique's real father.
Was it ever stated that PT Ben Stokes married Angelique?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »
Hooray, Evil Tim Stokes!!   Now the storyline is up and running!   He's drinking from the first second we lay eyes on him, and he can't even put the drink down long enough to pick up the phone!
I myself liked Stokes's smoking.  I don't think we've seen anybody smoke since before 1795.  (I just know Midnite's going to correct me on this.  Never mind.  And I do remember dozens of Julia's cigarette butts during the dream curse, but we didn't actually see her smoking then - did we?)  I think there must have been a very strong feeling on somebody's part - probably Thayer David's - that this had to be part of Tim Stokes's character.

I don't think the stepfather business is ever explored, and I don't remember hearing that Angelique Bouchard and Ben Stokes were married in parallel time, because I don't think anybody was interested enough to mention it.  (I liked the way Tim Stokes thinks of the Barnabas who married Josette primarily as the fellow Will Loomis wrote about, not as one of the Collins ancestors.)  I see no need for Angelique Stokes Collins to be the descendant (not the ancestor, but I think that was just a slip of your fingers, Magnus) of Ben Stokes.  She doesn't even need to be the descendant of Angelique Bouchard.  Maybe twins run in her family, and she's the descendant of a twin sister of Angelique Bouchard, or maybe the resemblance is purely coincidental.

If Tim Stokes is indeed Angelique's stepfather - i.e. if "stepfather" isn't a lazy way of saying foster father or adopted father or something of the sort - then Tim Stokes married a widow or a divorcée, or maybe even - gasp! - an unwed mother.  I speculated several weeks ago that Tim Stokes had married the high school sweetheart that Professor Stokes had mentioned.  If he did, however, it wasn't quite the simple relationship I was imagining at the time.  And who was the birth father of Angelique and Alexis?  And did Tim Stokes marry their mother because he liked what he saw of little Angelique?  And if Angelique and Alexis aren't the full nieces of Hannah Stokes but only the step-nieces, does it matter?

I keep thinking about the possibilities of the parallel time folks being caught in our own time when they're standing around Angelique's room, and today when Angelique picked up the phone in that room, I had a strong feeling that she was going to find herself talking to somebody in our time band.  But it was such a pleasure to see Tim Stokes and Thayer David that I wasn't disappointed.

Cyrus has apparently split his personality in two: if he starts thinking sinful thoughts, he automatically turns into John Yaeger.  Somehow the potion altered the chemistry or wiring or something in his brain.  But if, as John Yaeger, he starts thinking virtuous thoughts, will he automatically turn into Cyrus Longworth?  I know, the idea is that John Yaeger never never ever thinks virtuous thoughts.  But things have changed for Cyrus, so why shouldn't they change for Yaeger?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:40:13 PM »
I don't say this to be contrary, but just happened to notice Bruno smoking a cig at his piano when I watched #994 this morning, and it did seem odd.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
(We definitely see Julia pacing the drawing room and smoking at the beginning of Ep #487 (the morning after the first time she had the dream).  [ghost_wink]  There should even be some captures of it around here somewhere because I remember a topic from several years ago in which Julia99 and I and others discussed the scene.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »
They never, ever say that original PT Ang married Ben, stayed around Collinsport, and eventually produced Evil Tim and then the twins, just as they never say PT Quentin is a descendant of PT 1897 Quentin.   That's me struggling to make sense of PT.   The link of Evil Tim to the twins is enough for me.

My main complaint about PT used to be that PT had doubles for Quentin and Angelique, supposedly a Q and A who'd made different choices, and apparently their different life choice was to be born in a different century.   So I've decided that these are descendants of doppelgangers, not really PT doppelgangers themselves.   

I suppose PT original Ang could have hung around Collinsport (making no trouble for Barnabas) and married a non-Stokes, maybe that's no more far-fetched than marrying Ben to her (also no less), but it's more interesting if it all goes back to something we know from 1795.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 12:01:55 AM »
Actually, we don't even know that an Angelique came to PT Collinwood as Josette's maid. And the only Ben we know of is the Ben of 1841PT, who is most certainly not old enough to be the contemporary of 1795/96RT's Ben.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 12:47:05 AM »
1970PT Ang being in Collinsport is more than enough evidence for me, of PT1795 Ang having been there.   What are the odds that her family would just happen to have made their way to that small town in Maine?

Since it makes no sense for someone's PT doppelganger to live and die in a different time or century than the RT one, 1841PT Ben must be one generation on from the PT equivalent of our RT Ben.   Angelique's son?   

I like how PT1841 Ben appears for about two seconds, and here we are 40 years later dealing with the fallout!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 01:22:35 AM »
I don't think it necessarily follows that there had to have been a 1795PT Ang for there to be a 1970PT Ang and Alexis. For example, if we want to follow the DS RT storylines, an Ang could have come to Collisport or the surrounding area in 1840PT,[spoiler]just as Ang showed up in 1840RT as Valerie - but we were just never aware of her[/spoiler] or in 1897PT,[spoiler]just as Ang showed up in 1897RT.[/spoiler]But even those two time frames aren't necessarily needed. The only single requirement would seem to be that some form of a woman who looked like Ang showed up in Collinsport or the surrounding area at some point before Ang and Alexis were born and the twins are descended from that woman.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 01:39:49 AM »
Well, I already mentioned the odds against an Angelique showing up in a small Maine town without the connection to and obsession with Barnabas... in 1840  Ang showed up in RT Collinwood because of her past experiences with Barnabas.   In RT1897 maybe not, but her connection to the Collinses must have been involved somehow... I would think.   Just my opinion of course.

Of course, one can side-step all this reasoning by embracing the supernatural idea of "fate", something like that, and accepting that all possible worlds work out so that there's a Julia Hoffman, an Angelique, a Quentin, etc., etc., in Collinsport and Collinwood, whatever different events happen to bring them there.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 01:56:18 AM »
Of course, one can side-step all this reasoning by embracing the supernatural idea of "fate", something like that, and accepting that all possible worlds work out so that there's a Julia Hoffman, an Angelique, a Quentin, etc., etc., in Collinsport and Collinwood, whatever different events happen to bring them there.

That might actually be the best theory.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 06:44:53 AM »
Hooray, Evil Tim Stokes!!   Now the storyline is up and running!  He's drinking from the first second we lay eyes on him, and he can't even put the drink down long enough to pick up the phone!   

He can't seem to put his Lucky Strikes down either. Ah, filter-less cigarettes...

So where did Quentin go off to that he became so disheveled? And that frock coat is a lousy fit on him in the shoulders, wardrobe people.

Stokes looks like he walked right out of a Depression era picture with that slovenly coat and mangy scarf and hat. Good stuff. I like it.

Sabrina - you stink. If I saw my fiance turn into another man, I would be freakin' out.

Wait a minute. I've got it. I know what Quentin reminds me of in that hideous sports(?) jacket - a test pattern!

Why is it that every deranged loony lusts after Maggie?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 02:07:03 PM »
PT 1841 Ben Stokes is probably the son of 1795 Ben, he was given the same name as his father.

Is PT Quentin Roger & Elizabeth's brother or cousin?  If he is their brother, then perhaps Jamison lived longer in this timeline.  If a cousin, then he could be the grandson of PT 1897 Quentin.

Then there is PT Chris & Amy, who are said to be cousins of Liz and Roger.  PT 1897 Edward must have had a third child.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
PT 1897 Edward must have had a third child.

Not necessarily. Chris and Amy needn't be first cousins to be called cousins. (I mean, how distantly would Barnabas really be related to the Collinses IF he really was descended from the original Barnabas?  [ghost_undecided]  Yet they consider him a cousin.  [ghost_wink]) So, Chris and Amy could still be descended from 1897 Quentin just as they are in RT. The only thing different would be that they'd have to be descended from Quentin's son rather than his daughter.