Author Topic: Robservations 8/21/02 - Julia's Horrifying Discovery - #614/615  (Read 1317 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
614 - (Joan Bennett) - The great estate of Collinwood has seen many secrets, secrets which have led to horror, to violence, even to death. And at the Old House on the grounds, another secret is working its spell, for two men bear the mark of the vampire, and one, insane with jealousy and suspicion, is taking his revenge.

Joe continues to throttle Barnabas, and it looks like our hero is about to be dispatched by a jealous man who shares vampire Angelique. As they struggle, Joe tells him I know you poisoned my medicine--and no one is going to have her but me! Mrs. Johnson comes in and screams as she beholds this terrible scene.

Joe orders Mrs. Johnson to stay there--you don't know what Barnabas is like!--but she comes right over and tries to release his hold on the rope around Barnabas neck. Mrs. Johnson actually hits him, but he pushes her away and strangles Barnabas into unconsciousness. Nothing can stop me! screams Joe. Crying uncontrollably, Mrs. Johnson returns to the fray, screaming "Please!" over and over. Realizing what he's done, Joe loosens his hold on the rope and runs. Mrs. Johnson yells, They'll find you--I'll see to it!"  She ministers to Barnabas, crying over the unconscious man, putting her hand on his hair as if she has no idea what to do. (She really must like him, she sure was upset.)

At Collinwood, Roger rings for Mrs. J, looking for a "civilized" cup of tea. Tea won't solve my problem, says Liz. Roger asks her not to start again. You started first, accuses Liz, overhearing me talking to the contractor about my mausoleum. Liz hasn't hired him yet, and Roger requests a rational discussion. If you won't lose your temper, she asks, then I am willing. He notes she seems well today; he thinks she believes he has a limited understanding of her, but he has honestly tried to understand this fear of hers the past few days of being buried alive. This isn't fear, which is usually reserved for the unknown, says Liz, I know what will happen to me. He scoffs and turns away, saying he feels she shouldn't accept it as reality. I can't help it, she says, I have no choice. He isn't going to recommend she think positively, although she would love to. Consider the consequences--is she determined to build the tomb? Yes, to escape, she says, with bells and buzzer and doors that open. It isn't the money, they agree, but Roger's concern the way the villagers will talk, labeling her eccentric or mad--stop the mausoleum, he urges. Liz says but she minds suffocating more than village gossip. Why did this happen, he laments, how did you get this obsession? It can't be explained, she says, so let's not talk about it. Roger suggests equipping the Eagle Hill mausoleum with what she needs--there, they could do what she wants, no one would question it or think it strange.
Liz doesn't care about that, but Roger does, and admits it--so many things have gone on in this house, attributed to the Collinses--for Carolyn and David's sake, they shouldn't encourage such a reputation. He suggests they go to Eagle Hill together--they can look over the mausoleum and she might agree to change it. Not this afternoon, she demurs. Roger says if she considers that place, he will take over getting the job done--he wants it settled. She gives him a look and they walk off.

Mrs. Johnson removes the rope from Barnabas' neck and pats his face, begging him to awaken. "Thank God, you're alive," she cries, insisting she wants to go for help--Joe Haskell went crazy--it's always the people you never think, who seem so normal. Barnabas grips his collar, talking harshly through his raw throat, assuring her he'll be all right in a moment. She wants him to stay still. What a time for Julia not to be there, laments Mrs. J, I want to run for Julia and to call the police. Barnabas begs her to return to Collinwood and forget all this. She can't!--that madman, that maniac. . . Barnabas asks her not to call the police as a favor to him. She's astounded--don't you know what Joe was trying to do to you?--his eyes, you didn't see them, they were like an animal! She wants to run to Collinwood to call the sheriff, but Barnabas FORBIDS her--she isn't to call the police, or anyone, and he doesn't want Julia to know about it either--it's between Joe and him--does she understand?
Her face clearly shows she does NOT!

Joe wander the woods. What will he do, where will he go? He's in obvious pain, but knows he must get away.

Eagle Hill Cemetery - Liz asks Roger if he heard anything, she heard someone sobbing. They find the tombstone of Jonah Collins, who died in 1863 at the age of 23. Roger says her imagination is running away with her, but Liz is sure she heard something. Roger calls them morbid fantasies. Liz looks at the tombstones and comments on all the undone portions of their lives--plans unfulfilled--doesn't he ever think of these things? Roger says it's dangerous for her to indulge in such speculation, she has no control over her thoughts. Soon I'll be one of them, says Liz, but not dead, that's why I need my mausoleum or I'll be underground like them. I hate it here--the dead walk there, burst out Liz. It's not true, says Roger, begging her to look at the tomb. Liz says there are spirits there, watching, envying and hating them because they want to live. Roger insists they go into the mausoleum, and ushers Liz in ahead of him. They hear someone clearing his throat as they enter; Joe Haskell falls to the ground at their feet. "Oh, my God," says Roger. "It's Joe Haskell!"

Mrs. Johnson returns to Collinwood. She asks Harry what he's doing at the front of the house. I was looking for something for Carolyn, he answers. Mrs. J is obviously upset, muttering that she can't figure out people anymore--everyone, even a sane man like Mr. Barnabas--has lost control of his senses. She makes up her mind and begins to dial Sheriff Patterson. Harry asks if she's been to the Old House, and she looks at him sharply. Why?--she notes that he's nervous. What happened? he asks. She says if she hadn't walked in, someone would be lying there dead right now. "You saved Joe?" asks Harry. "Joe?" she asks--what do you know about this? Nothing, says Harry. How do you know Joe is mixed up in this? She asks. He's staying there, says Harry. How do you know that? Demands his mother. I saw him there, answers Harry evasively. Why were you at the Old House, asks Mrs. J. Harry says he was passing by and Joe told him he was staying there a few days. Whatever for? persists, Mrs. Johnson. Harry gets angry and tells her not to ask him--just tell me, what happened to Joe? No, Mrs. Johnson is asking because she knows he's lying. I knew Joe was sick and staying there and that there was some chance he might not get better, stutters Harry. "He's not too sick to try to kill Barnabas!" cries Mrs. Johnson. This surprises and confuses Harry. She picks up the phone. He asks what she's going to do? What does it matter to you? she demands. It matters, he says, to me. She tells him firmly she's calling Patterson. Harry looks really worried.

Harry cuts off his mother's call--no, he says--please, Ma, no. She knows he's afraid of the police, and knows more than he's saying. He didn't do anything, he assures her. Everyone tells her the sensible thing to do is the crazy thing to do, complains Mrs. Johnson--even Barnabas, who said he didn't want me to call a doctor or Julia--I hope I never have to experience a day like this again! Harry repeats, "Joe Haskell tried to kill Barnabas. . .Mom, something weird's happened down there." Mrs. Johnson accuses her son--that's making you restless, isn't it?--I know you--you want to go out and find someone--there's someone you must tell this to--who and why? They are interrupted by Liz and Roger bringing Joe in. Mrs. Johnson becomes hysterical--you're bringing him in after what he's done? Roger, supporting Joe, asks what she's talking about. Harry and Roger help him into the drawing room as Sarah Johnson screams, "You wouldn't help him if you knew what he was going to do. He's gone mad!" Liz asks what she means. Mrs. Johnson tells her Joe was trying to kill Barnabas. Joe is deposited on the sofa and Mrs. Johnson explains she saw the whole thing--he had a rope around Barnabas' neck--and no one is going to do anything!
Roger asks her quietly to tell them what happened, and Mrs. Johnson describes the scene, ending with the fact that Barnabas is all right, but didn't want anyone to know--Joe has gone crazy. Roger points to Joe and says he's hurt, how could he have had the strength to do this? Liz says it seems impossible, but Mrs. Johnson demands they ask him. "MOM!" screams Harry, trying to shut her up. Mrs. Johnson insists Roger and Liz are there and will do what's right. Roger gently asks Joe if he tried to kill Barnabas. "Answer me Joe, we have to know!" Joe gasps out, "I have to kill Barnabas, I have to--before he kills me!"  Mrs. Johnson looks smug and vindicated. Liz asks her brother what he's going to do. Roger picks up the phone and dials the police.

NOTES: Two men fighting over one beautiful vampire. . .ironically, though Barnabas doesn't want Angelique, he continues to protect her. Joe is willing to make himself a murderer, hoping Angelique will turn to him, but that wouldn't happen, and we know it.  Clarice Blackburn as Mrs. Johnson was excellent, absolutely fantastic!

Roger, as usual, worries about what the neighbors will say, but the rep of Collinwood is already firmly in place, what's one more crazy lady with a strange coffin? His idea to utilize a mausoleum already available sounds sensible, but will Liz go for it?

What will happen to Joe? To Barnabas? Where will this sticky love triangle end?

615 - (Lara Parker) - Again the sounds of shrill police sirens has broken the silence on the great estate of Collinwood. For one man has tried to kill another, and vowed that he would keep trying until the deed is done.

Mrs. Johnson paces outside the closed double doors of Collinwood's drawing room. Sheriff Patterson calls her in to hear her account of what happened today. I pray I never have to live through another day like this one! she wails--the things I have seen!--you must keep Joe in jail, he's going to try again, you should have seen his eyes! Patterson assures her they have Joe in custody. She tells him she's known Joe all his life. She went to the Old House because she was worried about Barnabas and wanted to check on him. She found the door open and walked in. Julia, who has walked downstairs, overhears the rest. I saw Mr. Barnabas and Joe was standing over him, a rope around Barnabas' neck, says Mrs. J., pulling tighter, and Barnabas was strangling!  Julia's face fills with shock.

Julia is listening so intently, she's unaware when Sheriff Patterson pulls open the doors and catches her listening. She begs to know if Barnabas is all right. He assures her he is. Mrs. J tells her Joe ran out when she came in and she tried to make Barnabas comfortable. Julia wants to immediately leave, but the sheriff wants to talk to her. (There appears to be some badly cut tape here.) The sheriff is suddenly questioning Julia--Joe was found an hour later at the Eagle Hill Cemetery by Roger. Mrs. J leaves Julia and the sheriff alone. He takes out his pad. She tells him she didn't know it had even happened, but Patterson feels she knows why Joe did this. She denies it. Patterson assures her he is patient. Julia suggests Joe isn't well. Patterson asks her why Joe thinks Barnabas wants to kill him. Julia asks, "Does he?"
That's his defense, says the sheriff--in your opinion, does Joe have any reason to think this? Of course not, she says. He questions her about the poisoned medicine, and she tells him it WAS poisoned. He asks who could have done it. Julia lists Barnabas, herself, Willie, and Maggie Evans, who visited him. I have the medicine at the Old House, she says, I came to get fresh--I don't know how the poison got in the medicine bottle. Patterson questions her about coming in on Barnabas giving Joe a dose of the medicine when she noticed something was wrong. Julia immediately jumps to Barn's defense--he didn't know anything was wrong with the medicine. Did he usually give Joe his medication? Asks Patterson. We all did, says Julia, whoever was sitting with him. Julia again denies knowing any reason why Barnabas would kill Joe, especially since he saved him in the first place--Joe isn't rational, he's disturbed mentally--you can't take the accusation seriously. The sheriff disagrees, someone drove Joe to this irrational state--and he means to find out who. He allows Julia to leave--but warn Barnabas I have many questions for him, too.

Old House - Barnabas holds the poisoned bottle of medicine. He tells Julia the sheriff can have it. (Barn is wearing an open shirt and a scarf, which would have been a dead giveaway to ME.) He had nothing to do with the poison, and no one can prove he did. Julia asks to examine him; Joe might have hurt him. Barnabas refuses--his throat is getting better. She gives in, but reminds him that the sheriff is going to question him, and unless she can say he's in no condition to. . .  Barnabas assures her she shouldn't be thinking about him, but she can't help it--I am--Patterson implies that it's quite serious, and she agrees--she thinks he should call a lawyer. Barnabas is more concerned about the police finding the marks on Joe's neck, and Julia wonders why that's of such concern. What if they ask him to explain how he got the marks? persists Barnabas. Julia feels Joe won't tell them, and anyway, what if they do learn who the vampire is?--they might be more successful than they were!--what difference does it make who catches the vampire? She asks. Barnabas feels if they do find the vampire, his own past will somehow be discovered. Julia insists that's insane, he has no connection with this. (you should only know!) Barnabas wants to take no chances and asks where Joe is. In the hospital, she says, under guard. As his physician, I want you to go there this very minute and learn what Joe has said--try to give him a sedative to silence him. When she demands to know why he's so concerned, he gets testy--he's concerned about what Joe might say. WHY? she demands. Irritated, Barnabas tells her if she won't help, she might just go back to Collinwood.
That stings--I do want to help you, says Julia. You know how you can, he says pointedly. Chastened, Julia agrees to go to the hospital, but says she wishes she understood. He insists he's explained it all. Julia points out that he suddenly seems to be protecting the vampire--WHY? "I'm doing no such thing, Julia," he says defensively. She leaves without a word.

Darkness. Mrs. Johnson tells Barnabas she always prided herself on not saying too much, but Patterson rattled her so, she hopes she didn't get him into trouble. Of course you didn't, says Barnabas kindly. Ah, but you didn't hear what I told the sheriff--I had to tell him you told me not to call the police--I didn't, but Roger, who didn't know you didn't want the police involved, did. I was concerned about Joe, Barnabas explains. Mrs. Johnson calls his attitude a Christian one. They hear a car. Mrs. J says she couldn't share such feelings. It's the sheriff, and Mrs. J gasps. Barnabas reassures her, tells her to be calm, and welcomes the sheriff--I was expecting you, says Barn. Barnabas bids Mrs. J. goodbye and tells her to assure his cousin Liz he'll be all right.

Barnabas invites the sheriff into the drawing room and offers him some sherry. Barnabas pours a glass even though the sheriff refuses. Barnabas tells him it was an unfortunate incident--I want Joe given the proper care--it's tragic to watch someone we know collapse as Joe has. The sheriff asks Barnabas how long Joe had been staying there before the incident. Two-three days, answers Barnabas, inviting Patterson to sit down. He describes how he found Joe in the woods, badly injured. He says he didn't know the extent of his injuries, which the sheriff finds hard to swallow--he called Dr. Hoffman, doesn't he have a theory? Barn just holds the glass of sherry in his hands and explains, I gathered Joe had caused the wound himself. The sheriff says if they had taken Joe to a hospital, the police would have automatically been called in. Barnabas says he knows. Is that why you didn't take him? Queries Patterson. No, says Barn evasively, Julia felt Joe shouldn't be moved. Yet three days later, he was strong enough to get out of bed, attack you and run through the woods, says the sheriff. At what cost to himself? says Barnabas--Julia went to the hospital now, worried Joe's actions caused a serious relapse. Patterson asks why he didn't report Joe's suicide attempt to them. Joe is a friend, Barnabas reminds him, I didn't want his difficult time known. The sheriff asks why Joe is having a tough time, but Barn can't answer for him--I simply felt the fewer people who knew, the better. "And he tries to murder you," says Patterson. Barnabas insists that's been overstated, but the sheriff said Mrs. J told him everything. She was hysterical, insists Barnabas, her story more vivid than real. Patterson tells Barn Joe confessed to doing it--and promised to do it again. Barnabas doubts it, but the sheriff says he thinks Joe has a reason--he thinks Barnabas is trying to kill him. Barnabas tells the sheriff Joe isn't in control of his faculties, obviously. Patterson asks about the breakup with Maggie--did Barnabas try seeing her afterwards? Good heavens, no, says Barnabas with an amused smile. (pick a different name, sheriff.) "Well, then," says the sheriff, "over any other woman?" Here Barnabas looks away. The dogs howl. (Uh oh!) Barnabas walks away from him, looks out the window at the encroaching dusk. Patterson says something is missing in this case, and his hunch is that it's a woman--am I right? Barnabas doesn't answer.

Angelique rises from her squeaky lidded coffin. "Barnabas?" she calls.

The object of her hot-blooded affection tells Patterson he and Joe never quarreled over a woman, so "your hunch is wrong." Julia says Joe's medicine had been poisoned, reveals Patterson. Yes, agrees Barn, handing the bottle over to Patterson. The dogs howl, seriously distracting Barnabas. The sheriff says after they check out the medicines, I'll have more questions for you, Mr. Collins. Barnabas, however, is listening to the howling dogs and ignoring the sheriff.

Ang calls to Barnabas to come to her. I told you to be here when I awoke, she chastises--why didn't you come to me, why?--come, she demands, leave your house, now.

Barnabas starts to wander away, and the sheriff asks where he's going. No where, says Barnabas nervously.

Ang tells Barn, I know you want to come to me--why are you fighting it?--I need you, come to me, she calls, reaching out.
"No, no," mutters Barnabas. What did you say? asks Patterson. I'm suffering the effects of my experience, says Barnabas. Patterson asks if he remembers his last question, but Barn says he doesn't recall--I don't feel well--can't we discuss this further another time? Patterson is puzzled--something is happening in this house, now, isn't it, something that's making him feel this way?--WHAT, Mr. Collins, WHAT?

Woods. Julia runs into Patterson. The woods are scary, she remarks. He tells her she shouldn't be wandering. "The dogs. . ." she says. He tells her they upset Mr. Collins, too. This registers with Julia, but she carefully hides it. I know you're close to Mr. Collins, says Patterson--is he usually in the best of health? Yes, she replies. He's acting strangely, almost as if he were having some kind of attack, he tells her--he was standing at the window, listening to the dogs, and didn't seem to hear a word I was saying--it's as if he were ill, and I thought he was going to faint--he was talking to himself, and it was as if those dogs howling did something to him that changed him completely. Julia's eyes go wide.

Old House - Barnabas sits in the wingbacked chair. I will not go to her, not tonight, he orders himself--it's too dangerous--I will not go! He hears THAT giggle, and Angelique appears. I can't leave you alone, she purrs, so if you don't come to me, I must go to you. The police were here, he says, I couldn't leave. Come to me now, she coaxes, opening her arms. Didn't you hear me; the police might come back! He warns. Did you give Joe the medicine? she asks--is he dead? No, says Barnabas, he's alive--Julia stopped me. Ang is not pleased--we must finish him now, she says. We can't, says Barn, the police have him in the hospital. "How dare you fail me?" she demands. "You have not yet learned, have you, that you must not disappoint me. No, you're still too much your own person, Barnabas." He rises from the chair. She walks slowly toward him. "I will not have that," she says. "No, I will not. You must learn that you are mine." She wraps her arms around his neck. "No. . .no," he murmurs. (We get a quick glimpse of her slipping the fangs into her mouth.) He moans as she sinks her fangs into him, and she looks like she's going for every drop he's got.

Julia is in the woods, looking worried as she heads for the Old House.

Barnabas sits in the chair again, breathing shallowly.
Angelique asks if he can hear her--now you must know how much mine you are, she murmurs, and soon, you will be with me forever. Her face has a dreamy look.

Julia enters and sees Barnabas sitting in the chair. She asks what's wrong. He's barely conscious. Stay away from me, he says in a weakened, faraway voice--nothing is wrong, at least nothing you can do anything about. He passes out. Julia looks beneath the scarf and finds the dripping bite marks. "Barnabas!" she cries. "Oh, Barnabas!"

NOTES: Chilling-by far, one of my favorite bites. She really looks like she's burying those fangs into his throat, and all that talk about belonging to her is spooky-and sexy--as hell. She never gets Barnabas out of her blood, even though, as her victim, he tries not to listen, not to obey. Great performances on the part of both actors.

Who thinks Julia should have caught on sooner, even that first night when Barnabas returned to the Old House looking sickly and pale, holding his collar around his throat so protectively? Julia had her Tom experience only recently; how could she fail to notice the signs?

Wasn't it fun watching Barnabas trying to pay attention to his inquisitor, Sheriff Patterson, trying not to listen to Angelique's summons but unable to help himself? Fortunately for Barnabas, Julia knows now, thanks to the Sheriff's innocent prattle about how oddly Barn was behaving. Highly dramatic last scene there, as Julia finds the bites and says his name, twice, of course.

Love, Robin

DVD

Re:Robservations 8/21/02 - Julia's Horrifying Discovery - #614/615
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 09:01:24 PM »
DVD episodes for May 25th and 26th.
The 1st and 2nd episodes on Set#11/Disc#1 (1st and 2nd episodes on MPI tape Volume #77)