Author Topic: RIP SOAP Net  (Read 1474 times)

David

RIP SOAP Net
« on: May 27, 2010, 06:29:18 AM »
The all cable channel goes dark for good in Jan 2012, ABC has announced. The genre is indeed dying--however DS continues in the future, movies, audio dramas, it sure won't be a daytime soap again.
Though we might see on air reruns again after Depp Shadows is released.

Farewell to soaps. Though the networks will continue airing them for now, they are indeed on their way out for good.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: RIP SOAP Net
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:14:22 AM »
This could have nothing to do with the sustainability of soaps.  Rather, it could simply be a result of Disney's  rumored "advanced talks" to sell ABC-TV.  Apparently, Disney wants Soap for "Disney Junior" which would mean it would still be owned by Disney if the ABC sale goes through.  Owning Soap would be pointless if Disney sold ABC.  Disney still wants to control its other assets, and the channel Soap occupies is one of them. Apparently, ABC's other networks aren't part of the talks here. 

Just trying to put things in perspective... 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:27:32 PM »
Golly.  This was practically my last hope that Grayson's OLTL episodes would ever see the light of day...

G.

David

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
Grayson did One Life after the VCR era began. There must be clips someone can post on You Tube.
I suspect that in 10 years, You Tube clips and DS DVDs will be all that's left of soaps.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:09:15 AM »
Some time ago, I saw one of Grayson's OLTL shows--I think the introduction of her character--and I think is was on YouTube, but it seems to have disappeared from that site.  Someone does have some video from those days, and maybe they'll post the clips again someday soon.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 04:01:25 AM »
I think I've posted to this effect before, but I'm not really bemoaning the death of the soap opera. I used to watch a number of them; General Hospital, Ryan's Hope, Rituals (Dennis Patrick) and especially All My Children. AMC was my favorite, and I was delighted to learn that my girlfrriend, whom I later married, was a big time AMC fan. I'd given up all the others because of time constraints. We watched together for about 8 years. When our daughter was on the way up until the time she was in pre-school time was at a premium, so I said goodbye to AMC and the Boston Bruins. A few years ago we decided to try watching AMC. Adam was up to his old tricks and cheating on a young wife AGAIN. Jackson and Erica were back together but on the verge of breaking up AGAIN. I forget what Palmer was doing, but it was tricky dealings AGAIN. Mateo, who had been fighting with his overbearing and manipulative father was now doing the same thing to his younger siblings. Erica was pulling the strings on people's lives as usaual. We looked at each other and asked if we gave a damn. The answer was no. Now if the show were ending, would I go back to Pine Valley. Probably, because then we might see things shaken up a bit. As it is now, Jesse, who was dead, dead, dead, (he even came back as a ghost) is now alive.  Will Jenny be far behind?  I know people often return on soaps, ,just as they do in comics and DS, but this case was just too extreme. Unless they are willing to go out on a limb and stop playing it safe, I don't think there's much hope for soaps, and I can't say I really care.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:35:29 PM »
I actually have Grayson's first two episodes on OLTL, and they're great.  I just want more because I am a greedy cuss, and later on she wore these fab Forties-styled turbans... just love the look of Grayson in a turban!

G.

David

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
Oh, Steve, PLEASE post these on You Tube!
Got any Nancy Barrett or Tony George eps?

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »
Gothick, you're not greedy, just a devoted fan. I'd love to see a few of those scenes.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 04:16:45 AM »
I unfortunately don't have the means currently to post the episodes.  Maybe someday...

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
A few years ago we decided to try watching AMC. Adam was up to his old tricks and cheating on a young wife AGAIN. Jackson and Erica were back together but on the verge of breaking up AGAIN. I forget what Palmer was doing, but it was tricky dealings AGAIN. Mateo, who had been fighting with his overbearing and manipulative father was now doing the same thing to his younger siblings. Erica was pulling the strings on people's lives as usaual. We looked at each other and asked if we gave a damn. The answer was no. Now if the show were ending, would I go back to Pine Valley. Probably, because then we might see things shaken up a bit. As it is now, Jesse, who was dead, dead, dead, (he even came back as a ghost) is now alive.  Will Jenny be far behind?  I know people often return on soaps, ,just as they do in comics and DS, but this case was just too extreme. Unless they are willing to go out on a limb and stop playing it safe, I don't think there's much hope for soaps, and I can't say I really care.

This is the common perception of soaps and why so many people look askance at them.  I have grown to have a certain appreciation for the genre from what I've read about them on this forum over the years, but even so, haven't been able to stomach one for long. It's not the serial format - the possibilities for character and story development are very good. I suppose it's a combination of the repetition you talk about, how things are drawn out, and the absurdity of much that goes on. I can still understand, though, how someone might become devoted to following a soap over the years. But for me, it took a "Gothic" soap to hold my interest for the long term. And since DS transcends the genre, it's debatable whether "soap opera" is an accurate description of DS.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 12:38:52 AM »
i was quite surprised recently to see a copy of CBS soaps at a local newstand.

from what i understand CBS currently airs only three soap operas and one of them("as the world turns")is i believe going off the air soon. that leaves just "the young and the restless" and "the bold and the beautiful". can a magazine continue to be published reporting on just two programs?

considering the straights the publishing industry as a whole has been in for the last few years i was shocked to see this dinosaur of the soap age still active.

at least soap opera weekly is not affiliated with a single network and thus can report more broadly on the soaps still in existence but still i wonder how much longer this type of niche publication can survive?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:36:04 PM »
There's a scene with Tony George in this 1981 OLTL clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nBqwxjLhjs&feature=related

And Grayson can be spotted briefly a couple of times (in a fabou black turban accessorized with a divine white scarf) in this flashback to when Asa Buchanan faked his own death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk4LQ054uSc

The guy who posted the first clip apparently has a lot of early 1980s OLTL ... so who knows...

G.