Author Topic: A Dark Shadows Wedding Shower!  (Read 1267 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
A Dark Shadows Wedding Shower!
« on: May 11, 2010, 03:33:39 AM »
That's right, a Dark Shadows Wedding Shower. My neice wanted to have a Dark Shadows wedding but there are those that were not very happy with that idea, so she is going to have a DS wedding shower. Had it been the wedding I would have lots of ideas but how does one have a DS wedding shower? Any ideas?
May you die before you want too.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: A Dark Shadows Wedding Shower!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:04:50 AM »
Well, whatever happens, I hope the guest of honor wouldn't run out at any point to dig up her own grave - or she wouldn't be kidnapped by a ghost and thrown into an open grave  - or she wouldn't have her face turn into a skull while wearing her veil and opening gifts.  [b003]

But seriously, this is a wild idea - but I agree it's hard to conceive a theme...

Well, she could adapt the English Tea Party theme that a lot of women seem to use. And to make it truly DS, guests could be given bows to put in their hair.  [wink2]  Though I suspect that would probably be way too vanilla for what she has in mind...

Perhaps they could forgo an overarching theme and simply go with DS style activities and or foods? Perhaps they could play some sort of DS themed game(s)? (Though I suppose they couldn't be too specific to DS so that non-fans would have a chance to win.) Perhaps DS themed pastries? (Cookies or cupcakes or whatever decorated with bats, ghosts, etc.) Of course, there would be absolutely no garlic in the cheese dip. And there's always sardine canopes.  (Don't knock them 'til you've tried them.  [lghy]) But I hope that whatever your niece ends up doing, you'll be able to share a photo or two.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:57 AM »
i'm seeing a sea of sleeveless dresses and empire-waisted gowns...

the tea party theme sounds nice("lemon or cream?")but for some real zing how about serving amontillado sherry and claret cup.

a tarot card reading would be fun(channel your inner countess dupres)and for more adventurous guests perhaps suggest a seance and ask how josette collins felt on her big day.

some hired help dressed up as mrs. johnson for the day would lend authenticity(just don't forget to hang up your coat!). suggesting wigs and falls(and squat,dumpy looking shoes)as party attire could only further the fun.

if dancing is in order perhaps the blue whale soundtrack would gets things kicking in high gear(with a mute bartender hovering nearby for refills).

fun idea for a party.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:43:41 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I will share photos when the time comes. The wedding is in Oct. Those food ideas really and truely scare me, I've lost 50lbs and don't want to find it. [ghost_grin]
May you die before you want too.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:21:45 AM »
For any of the women folk, make sure to have lots of sherry.  If any men folk show up, have lots of brandy.  All of it must be served from proper decantor sets.

Gerard

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:48:04 AM »
I wouldn't inflict a boiled-dinner buffet on the guests, but apple pie slices with cheese might be something to try.  Don't knock it--- inspired by DS, I have had apple pie with cheddar and muenster slice toppings at various times, and while it was a new flavor sensation, I thought it was fine.
If calories are an issue, there are brands of cheeses out there with 50% less fat that taste pretty decent, IMO.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »
Make sure your niece has a recipe for custard, which, if I remember correctly, was what Mrs. Trask gave Reverend Trask when he wasn't feeling well.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
They sould have Claret Cup in honor of Barnabas' party.

They of course wants to have people dancing to, "I want to dance for you."
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
1)  make sure that a "dr." has some "sedatives" to hand out in case all does not go well.
2)  have a 10 year old boy come running in with some ghastly and overwraught story about seeing ghosts or something to that effect.
3)  are you able to do this on the terrace, near the fountain?   or how about foraying down to the old house for an impromptu dinner.
4)  get big bows for each woman to wear on their upswept hair.
5)  place a skeleton with the brides gown and holding flowers prominatnly in the room
6)  secretly, get one of her friends to constantly say, "but what does it mean....." after every risque shower joke
7)  instead of showing pictures of your little girl, go back in time (if you have ample rooms, each room can be an era in your daughter's life)
8.  be sure to end with a seance, which of course would weild her fiance to the party at the end of the suare.

hope you are smiling!  [ghost_happy]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 12:47:14 AM »
Make sure you have one guest who, when wedding shower games are explained, says:  "I don't understand."

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 01:30:28 AM »
7)  instead of showing pictures of your little girl, go back in time (if you have ample rooms, each room can be an era in your daughter's life)
  [ghost_happy]

I agree, Borgosi of the Borgosi Emerald which I just made up one day without realizing it because my brain farted... (memories...) sending everybody helplessly careening backwards through time can be a real crowd-pleaser.

Lots of culinary advice here already... as for the rest, any time you think the arrangements go too far, take them farther, this is my solemn advice to you.   Zombies.  Lots of zombies.   Mysterious shadows of boom microphones everyplace.   Hired stagehands eating sub sandwiches.

Seriously, hope it goes well!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
Someone I know has a DS 'Clue' game.  Don't remember much about the game although I played it several times 5 or so years ago.  I could never figure out the 'clues' and just made uneducated guesses to get through it.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf