Author Topic: DS in "The Cult TV Book"  (Read 561 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
DS in "The Cult TV Book"
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:33 AM »
Fans,

A short (all of 3 pages!) chapter on DS is included in a new academic publication, The Cult TV Book, edited by Stacey Abbot and published in London and NY by I. B. Tauris (not a press I had previously heard of).  The volume is part of a new series which will include both monographs and edited volumes devoted to such specific series as Farscape and Dexter.  The DS chapter is written by the volume's editor, Stacey Abbott, and leads off a section of the book entitled "The Cult in Cult TV." Embarrassingly, Abbott mis-spells the series protagonist's name as "Barnabus" throughout her short chapter.  I did like this comment towards the end of the short piece:  "Although less visible than Star Trek fans, Dark Shadows fandom rivals the Trekker community for its commitment and endurance, reminding the modern cult TV scholar that longevity remains the ultimate test of cult fandom."

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DS in "The Cult TV Book"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:46:14 AM »
It's too bad abut the misspelling of Barnabas ([ghost_rolleyes]), but that's certainly a nice way of summing things up. Thanks so much for sharing, G.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Re: DS in "The Cult TV Book"
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:59:43 AM »
 Both shows debuted in 1966, and withstood relatively early cancellations with strong fan bases that have held up over the decades, and both franchises have been revived on TV and have hit the big screen multiple times!