Author Topic: **** New Features? ****  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
**** New Features? ****
« on: August 11, 2002, 07:39:47 AM »
I've recently downloaded several new mods for the forum (to add to the backlog of other features that I've yet to install). Midnite and I have definite plans on what we'd like to install next, but we're also wondering what most interests all of you at the moment. So, please take the time to vote in the above poll. (Yes, polling is a new feature. ;) Only Midnite and I can post polls at the moment, but everyone will be able to very soon. :))

To better make your decision, here are a few more details about each of the above options:

• There are currently 13 message icons available (Standard, Thumb Up, Thumb Down, Spoiler Warning, etc.). Would you be most interested in seeing more added?

• At the moment, the main forum index lists six categories (General Discussions, General Discussions Archive, RobinV's Crypt, etc.), most with more than one board. Would you be most interested in being able to collapse categories that you rarely visit, similar to what you see here?

Collapsing categories will allow the BoardIndex to download quicker - and any collapsed categories can always be opened when there are new posts.

• File Attachments would allow you to include files with posts or IMs, similar to the way you can attach files to e-mail. Would you be most interested in this feature?

• A Has Image Icon (somewhat similar to the New Icon) would appear to indicate whenever a post contains an image or an attachment. Would you be most interested in this feature?

• The Moderated Chat is already self explanitory. The surprises will be explained when the chat launches. Would you be most interested in this feature?

• Search New Posts will give you the ability to display all the posts made since the last time you visited for a particular board or the entire forum. Would you be most interested in having this feature installed?

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: **** New Features? ****
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2002, 10:02:35 AM »
I don't think I can vote as I don't know if any of those would matter that much to me.

A couple of them I definitely would NOT be interested in!  I see no point in collapsing the categories.  I always look at everything and (except for the archive which I hope to be able to spend some time with!) read any of the ones I've missed.

Also, the "Search New Posts" - the "new" indicators seem to work quite well, so it's easy to find all of the new items as it is.  I suppose, on a long thread, it would be helpful not to have to wade through a lot of previously read items to find the new ones.
Josette

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2002, 07:33:28 PM »

I voted for file attachments, I think that's a good idea.  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2002, 07:33:34 PM »
I don't think I can vote as I don't know if any of those would matter that much to me.

Well, I can certainly understand that not everyone will consider these features as a major addition to the forum. However, we would really appreciate everyone's feedback. I'd ask that you please give the matter some more thought and try to make a choice.

I see no point in collapsing the categories.  I always look at everything and (except for the archive which I hope to be able to spend some time with!) read any of the ones I've missed.

As I stated above, the point of collapsing categories is to allow the BoardIndex to download quicker. This in turn will save bandwidth, which is definitely an important issue on the forum. If there have been no new posts on any of the boards in an individual category (which you'll note in the example I've provided would be indicated by the no new posts icon), there's really no point in displaying the details for the boards in that particular category. Once I get around to correcting the display of the new posts icon for the Members' Gateway, being able to collapse that category would come in very handy because it's all but a certainty that new posts will not be made in the archive every day. ;)

Also, the "Search New Posts" - the "new" indicators seem to work quite well, so it's easy to find all of the new items as it is.  I suppose, on a long thread, it would be helpful not to have to wade through a lot of previously read items to find the new ones.

Exactly. Several people have mentioned that it would be nice if they didn't have to wade through several posts before they came across ones they haven't read yet in a particular topic. This feature would be an alternative to having to wade through those posts. :)

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2002, 10:21:34 PM »

Exactly. Several people have mentioned that it would be nice if they didn't have to wade through several posts before they came across ones they haven't read yet in a particular topic. This feature would be an alternative to having to wade through those posts. :)

got my vote!  I would still like to see a 'go to first unread post' function- some of the threads have gotten quite long  :) and since i discovered using the page number  thingy, I usually start at the last page and work back to find unread posts ~ so I think this would be the best 'functional' choice in the poll.  The Icon things are cute, but I usually, eventually read everything anyway - so I don't really use them [aside from emoto-cons - love them!]  and I don't think I understand what the file attachment choice would do for us, that we can't do now!?  But if collapsing the categories would be best for the speed and help you guys behind the scenes..... can I change my vote???

Thanks for making this board so much fun, and always interesting, friendly and improving!

Hot Sunday Afternoon Cheers,
Ringo
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2002, 11:16:11 PM »
But if collapsing the categories would be best for the speed and help you guys behind the scenes..... can I change my vote???
Ringo,

Please feel free to consider that choice in terms of whether the speed of loading it on your computer is or isn't a top priority for you.  And thanks for voting!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2002, 11:23:13 PM »
Ringo,

Please feel free to consider that choice in terms of whether the speed of loading it on your computer is or isn't a top priority for you.

That's right. The decision on what to vote for should be a purely selfish one - the one thing in the poll that you'd most like to see installed. [wink2]

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2002, 01:26:27 AM »

Please feel free to consider that choice!

Let my vote stay the same then! [since there isn't a choice: 'More of The Bunny Years ~ with Photos' ;)]

I predict you are opening a can of worms with the polls![evilb]

Ringo the Selfish Bastard [jester]

and I wasn't a math major, but 150+ read and 22 votes???? [recount!!!] Isn't voting a requirement?? [look at what happens if ya don't vote............]

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2002, 02:31:55 AM »
;D ::) Please let my vote be "collasping the
categories".  I love the Board!!  A fan --I have been one since the 1960 beginning of the series.
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2002, 05:37:17 AM »
A vote? I'm still jumping up and down over the polling features! Wahoo!!! [beer]

Oh, personally, I second what Ringo said. Collapsible board would have been my 2nd choice.

Excuse me now, I'm going to go run off to tell Barnabus! I'll take the short cut through the woods to the Old House. Don't worry about ME, I'll be FINE. No, you don't have to go with me (just because of all the recent attacks), I can TAKE CARE OF MYSELF!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2002, 06:20:32 AM »
Question:

The WordPerfect forum I use is very similar to this - but they don't have the capability of tracking whether or not you've clicked on a topic.  So, the "new" indicators are on all the stuff since your last visit, but if you leave and come back before checking out everything, "new" will mean anything new since that previous visit and anything you didn't get to the previous time will no longer be marked.

Fortunatley, we don't have that problem here.  If you don't get to read everything in a thread, there's no way for that to be indicated, but at least any threads "unclicked" will stay "new" until they are.

So, if you get the "search new posts" - which way would that work?  I suspect that it would only track new items since the last time you checked in, and if you didn't read them all at that time, they would lose their "new" indicator.

Also, if I'm right about that last part, would the current system of the "new" tag on the title of the thread still be working as it is now?
Josette

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2002, 07:27:43 AM »
All this sounds great.  ;)
But I would worry about allowing file attachments.
Isn't that how many viruses get through?
Anyway M.B. many thanks to you and Midnite
for all your hard work. The DS Forums are
excellant! ;D

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2002, 07:33:30 AM »
Question:

but they don't have the capability of tracking whether or not you've clicked on a topic.  So, the "new" indicators are on all the stuff since your last visit,

Fortunatley, we don't have that problem here.  If you don't get to read everything in a thread, there's no way for that to be indicated, but at least any threads "unclicked" will stay "new" until they are.

SOOOO! That answers a question about some other boards I disrupt!  I go back and look at some stuff, and I think 'hey, I haven't read that'  but it was not marked new......  I just thought it was the program working weird, but wow that makes me appreciate this set up even more - I think it is very easy to stay caught up here!  The marking lets me view a few strange ones quickly when I only have a minute or two, then catch up on the others, to go with my beverage.

[and there must be boards like this for every freakin thing ever made!  Orchids, Islands, Dogs and Cats, The Rutles and the Dave Clark Five]

Thanky jjjjesette - that mister E. is solv-ed!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2002, 09:06:38 AM »
got my vote!  I would still like to see a 'go to first unread post' function- some of the threads have gotten quite long  :) and since i discovered using the page number  thingy, I usually start at the last page and work back to find unread posts ~ so I think this would be the best 'functional' choice in the poll.

I agree with you Ringo. My vote goes for this also. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2002, 12:46:52 AM »
MB Wrote:
The Moderated Chat is already self explanitory. The surprises will be explained when the chat launches. Would you be most interested in this feature?

I'd love to be able to chat.
(Did we all see the possible 'hint' that recently appeared and was 'answered' by MB on Testing 1-2-3?)?

(I just tried to find an emoticon for chatting, wasn't one).

Patti
What a Woman!