Author Topic: August 7 - - Grayson Remembered  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: August 7 - - Grayson Remembered
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2002, 07:01:33 PM »
I was thinking of Grayson off and on throughout the day yesterday, so it was gratifying to log on here and see this space--thank you again, Julia darling.

One thing that is little known about Grayson in the world of fandom (or so it would seem) is how very kind and giving she so often was to Dark Shadows fans.  Robert Finnocchio's memoir of the time he spent with her (available on the beautiful Remembering Grayson website maintained by Nancy and Lynn) is typical of how much she enjoyed spending time with fans and getting to know them as people.  I have heard of cases of her telling fans they could call her collect.  I also heard a story about her calling a child long distance in Maryland to wish the little girl a happy birthday because she had received a note in which the child said hearing from "Julia" would make her day complete.

Grayson was definitely a bohemian.  She lived life to the fullest and she had no time for bullsh&t.  I've seen a video of a Fest held a year or two after her death in which Bob Costello (I think it was him) described her, with deepest affection, as "a gutsy broad."  He was smiling widely as he spoke about her.

Underneath the colorful wardrobe (we all loved the Bulgarian peasant widow look, accessorized with leather bomber jacket), the fabulous laughter and the booming asides, she had a vulnerable side which only her closest friends were allowed to see.  This did come out in her acting.  If you watch closely in certain scenes, you'll see what DS director Henry Kaplan referred to as her remarkable inner stillness.

Still missing that most fabulous of redheads....

Gothick

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2002, 09:01:02 AM »
I'm so glad we all had a space to post our thoughts and reflections. . .I think Grayson would've thought we were absurd but I'm sure she would've enjoy a Cosmo with me and my pals last night as I made sure we all toasted her!  

And thanks Midnite for making the picture available to post within the original message. ..
Julia99

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2002, 10:12:15 AM »
I enjoy seeing her on the show so much.  It is a shame i can't meet her. :'(

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2002, 05:29:03 PM »
I was thinking of Grayson off and on throughout the day yesterday, so it was gratifying to log on here and see this space--thank you again, Julia darling.

Underneath the colorful wardrobe (we all loved the Bulgarian peasant widow look, accessorized with leather bomber jacket),
Still missing that most fabulous of redheads....

Gothick

Gosh Steve are you talking "in general" here or is there a picture of Grayson in a peasant "look" with a bomber jacket?  I'd pay $$ to see that .. .
Julia99