Author Topic: DS LABYRINTH Ch. 13 - I left my heart (and other body parts) at Miskatonic  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Here y'all go... Chapter 13 of DARK SHADOWS: THE LABYRINTH OF SOULS. I was gone over the weekend, so I didn't get to write any, but I made up for it the last coupla days. Been crankin' hard. :)

As always: to access any previous chapters, just go to one of these links and, in your browser address window, rubout the final number after /labyrinth and insert the chapter number you want (i.e., /labyrinth01, labyrinth02, labyrinth03, etc.)

NEW! Chapter 13
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth13.htm

Chapter 12
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth12.htm

Chapter 11
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth11.htm

Please enjoy!

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Thanks Mark! :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
Wow, Mark. What an exciting chapter!  I can't wait to read how Julia manages to get out of this situation.

Bette  :)
Life works if you let it

Connie

Here y'all go... Chapter 13 of DARK SHADOWS: THE LABYRINTH OF SOULS. I was gone over the weekend, so I didn't get to write any, but I made up for it the last coupla days. Been crankin' hard. :)

W-w-w-w-Wow!  Well I guess you HAVE been!

YAY JULIA!!  I admire the balls on that woman.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Uh oh though....she's gotten herself into quite a mess.  I bet Barnabas and Quentin are gonna be upset as hell when they find out she went over there on her own (now they gotta go and get dressed, rescue her, etc. - what a pain)  LOL
Interesting what Karswell said about Quentin's portait.  How can it be getting stronger??

As always, this latest chapter left me breathless.  I thought the confrontation between Julia and Karswell was brilliantly written.
I'm DYING to know what happens next.  The suspense is adding to all the damned gray hair I'm getting.

Ah...if only I could write like this.  I want lessons.  You don't happen to have any sort of Mark Rainey Online School of Writing or anything, do ya??  Hmm??

Yer fan,
CLC  
;)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Yeeee-iiiiiikes!!  Well, I had guessed the one thing from the time he showed up, so this just finally confirmed it, but I certainly never anticipated any of the things that happened after that!!
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Wow!! That was truly magnificent Mark!!  So glad to finally see that my suspicions about the identity of the mad Dr.Karswell has come true.  Looking so forward to reading the next chapter!! Thanks! :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
Really GREATchapter!

My suspicions have been confirmed, too. Recognized Count Petofi the first time he appeared.

As Connie mentioned, any online or offline help you can give us fan fiction writers would be MOST appreciated.

Your the best! ;D
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
:D A most excellent chapter! I embraced every word... I read it so fast I read it twice!!
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
WOW! What a great chapter!
I was hoping that Karswell would turn out to be
Petofi  :o
I can't wait to read what happens next  ::)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
You know, I haven't done a major, thorough, professional-grade proofreading on these chapters, but I try to at least catch howling typos. I just glanced back at Chapter 13 to find a reference for Chapter 14, and what do I discover but a statement to the effect that, according to Julia, Professor Stokes is find (as opposed to fine). I haven't heard much hollering from the masses about idiot writers who really need an editor (thank you), but sometimes it's really perturbing that one can read over something a load of times and then, on first glance a little bit later, catch an obvious boo-boo.

I'm sure y'all infer the meaning when the context is pretty obvious, but one of these days, I'm gonna slip a real doozy in there just to see who's paying attention. ;)

[shadow=brown,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
You know, I haven't done a major, thorough, professional-grade proofreading on these chapters, but I try to at least catch howling typos. I just glanced back at Chapter 13 to find a reference for Chapter 14, and what do I discover but a statement to the effect that, according to Julia, Professor Stokes is find (as opposed to fine). I haven't heard much hollering from the masses about idiot writers who really need an editor (thank you), but sometimes it's really perturbing that one can read over something a load of times and then, on first glance a little bit later, catch an obvious boo-boo.

I'm sure y'all infer the meaning when the context is pretty obvious, but one of these days, I'm gonna slip a real doozy in there just to see who's paying attention. ;)

I did see that error, Mark, but I let it go.  I figured it was just a typo and just substituted the correct word.  Are you looking for a beta reader?  I'm available.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
I did see that error, Mark, but I let it go.  I figured it was just a typo and just substituted the correct word.  Are you looking for a beta reader?  I'm available.

I just might, long about the time I pull that big doozy. ;D

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
I have been paying attention to this marvelous story, I know to over look the small typos which are inevitable to anyone...
I shall be looking for that doozy of a slip and be sure to inform you...  :D

awaiting the next chapter with ghostlie anticipation 8)

Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Connie

...and what do I discover but a statement to the effect that, according to Julia, Professor Stokes is find (as opposed to fine).

Mm...yes - I saw that too.  BUT, after giving it some thought, I decided it was a Freudian slip emanating from Julia's subconscious.  Ya see, deep down she DOES consider Stokes to be a "find".  Oh baby, oh baby.   :-*
She'd do something about too if she weren't so damned preoccupied with all the problems that constantly plague that looney family.

I haven't heard much hollering from the masses about idiot writers who really need an editor (thank you)

That's 'cause we're polite.

...but sometimes it's really perturbing that one can read over something a load of times and then, on first glance a little bit later, catch an obvious boo-boo.

Well, that's 'cause you can't proofread your own stuff.  Same thing happens to everybody.  At least it does to me.  I'll see a typo months later in a chapter I had read a zillion times.

Ha!  You'll be sorry.  Next time there's a typo in LABYRINTH you're gonna receive a deluge of emails pointing out the mistake.

-CLC   ;)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Once again, I read this latest chapter at work, and Mark, risking my job--you are going to have to provide us with the next one IMMEDIATELY!  I can't stand the suspense, and your excellent writing is very addictive.

Waiting with baited breath and tapping, impatient foot. . .

Love, Robin