Author Topic: Dark Shadows cards  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows cards
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2002, 05:41:37 PM »
Wish i had saved my cards! :'(

jennifer

Me, too! And, all my DS paperbacks and Josette's music box. Gone--all gone to Salvation Army some 30+ years ago. I could  :'(

Now, I'm spending mucho dinero trying to increase my DS collection.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2002, 05:12:29 AM »
Yowch!! :P   I know how you feel, Carol.  I've spent quite a bit myself.

Petofi

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2002, 05:14:42 AM »
Don't feel bad, Carol, I dispensed with my original collection of books, model kits, etc. when I was about fifteen.  Since rediscovering the show in 1989, however, I have managed to expand my collection much further than I ever did when the show was first run.  Thank God for The Wrapper non-sports magazine, Shirley Stockel's old DS Classifieds, various flea markets around Maine, and now the miracle of eBay!! I even found  the plain-band version of the original Barnabas ring for $5 at a swap-meet in Pennsylvania about 7 years ago! 8)

Petofi

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2002, 06:43:23 AM »
Petofi, thanks for posting all that great info. I remember having scads of the cards during the original run, but I have no idea whatever happened to them. They probably got dumped out many years ago. I did manage to hang onto the old DARK SHADOWS and BARNABAS COLLINS games. The DS game is completely intact, even the paper playing "board" (we even played it not that long ago). The BC game is missing most of its pieces, however. I think I burned the skeletons as witches when I was about 12.

I had about a dozen of the old Marilyn Ross paperbacks from when they first came out, and a coupla years ago, I went on a buying spree on Ebay and picked up most of the rest of them at good prices (and sold the duplicates I got for nice profits). Only lacking a couple of them now.

I probably have more copies of DREAMS OF THE DARK on hand than the casual reader. ;)

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2002, 07:13:06 AM »
I had completly forgotten about the Quentin post cards until I read this topic.  I remember now they were my most prized possession at the time, even more than the Barnabas Collins game.  Thanks for bringing back the memory.  I can see my 11 year-old-self sitting on my living room floor looking at them after my father bought them for me. :)

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2002, 04:25:46 PM »
Glad the descriptions fired up some old DS memories, Anubis.  Doing them certainly opened up the old days for me, as well as developing a new appreciation for the show.  I actually started this project back about 9-10 years ago, and have been refining it ever since.  

Petofi

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2002, 04:35:58 PM »
Impressive research -- well done.

As a sidenote, many of the photographs from the Imagine card set reuse colorized transparencies created for past MPI home video releases.

Thanks for the heads up, Stuart.  I have added a reference to the MPI connection to the descriptions, with a nod to you, the source of the info.  Thanks, again, for the "hand" on this one!

Petofi

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2002, 08:21:05 PM »
Fantastic description of the entire library of DS trading cards Petofi!  Could you by any chance give us a follow up article that lists the current market value of these cards??  Including the boxes, wrappers and publicity material?   That would be helpful!

I just saw one slight error on your listing of the autograph cards from the Imagine set.  You listed the Dan Curtis Autograph card as being taken in a shoot from 1970-1971.  I have this autographed card myself, and the pretty sure this photo was taken during the making of WINDS OF WAR in 1981.  Curtis looks much older during the WOW than when he did in 1970.  And this was the standard  shot that Curtis sent out to the press in the publicity material for the 1982 miniseries at that time.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2002, 11:27:21 PM »
Don't feel bad, Carol, I dispensed with my original collection of books, model kits, etc. when I was about fifteen.  Since rediscovering the show in 1989, however, I have managed to expand my collection much further than I ever did when the show was first run.  Thank God for The Wrapper non-sports magazine, Shirley Stockel's old DS Classifieds, various flea markets around Maine, and now the miracle of eBay!! I even found  the plain-band version of the original Barnabas ring for $5 at a swap-meet in Pennsylvania about 7 years ago! 8)

Petofi

Starting from scratch again, I've been slowly collecting the MPI tapes, John Karlen movies and his guest star stints on TV shows(won an ebay auction the other day--it was a Nancy Drew Mystery episode that he was in) and trying to find Karlenzine 1 that Mary Overstreet published back in the late 70's I believe. I managed to get my hands on KZII but 1 eludes me.  I like collecting any fan fiction that revolves around Willie so the occasional World of DS or The Old House comes my way.  The only DS paperback that I was interested in was the Vampire & Werewolves one that is now in my collection.

And, I also have Mark's Dreams of the Dark as well as Angelique's Descent.    
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2002, 06:07:01 AM »
Fantastic description of the entire library of DS trading cards Petofi!  Could you by any chance give us a follow up article that lists the current market value of these cards??  Including the boxes, wrappers and publicity material?   That would be helpful!

The most current prices I have for the collectibles are available in Craig Hamrick's book of DS collectibles, which is sold by pomegranate press.  As for the cards and posters, the Non-Sport Update magazine carries up to date values, and is available at Borders bookstores.

I just saw one slight error on your listing of the autograph cards from the Imagine set.  You listed the Dan Curtis Autograph card as being taken in a shoot from 1970-1971.  I have this autographed card myself, and the pretty sure this photo was taken during the making of WINDS OF WAR in 1981.  Curtis looks much older during the WOW than when he did in 1970.  And this was the standard  shot that Curtis sent out to the press in the publicity material for the 1982 miniseries at that time.

I defer to your research on this one- my description of the card was a supposition.  I'll add this info, giving you due credit, of course!  Thanks!

Petofi

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows cards (update)
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2002, 07:27:46 PM »
I have updated the green card description section, with an episode assignment for green card #5 : Episode #522- Taped 6/16/68, Aired 6/26/68.  This ID is based on Barnabas' suit, tie, and spiked bangs matching up!

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 11:20:19 PM »
I just wanted to say that I found this thread very useful.
I recently had the opportunity to purchase the 2000 retro orange border cards, but wasn't sure if I should get them.
I did a search for Dark Shadows cards on this forum and up popped this thread which gave me a lot of useful information. Too bad this thread has been dead and buried for so long because it is very informative.
Anyway, I just received the orange set in the mail and I'm very happy with them! Thanks to the OP!
I didn't want to start a new post, so just thought I would revive this old thread. Hope I'm not breaking any rules. [ghost_wacko]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
I gave up trying to get the Pink set.  I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on that.  I got the green ones fairly reasonably though.  In the 80s Joe Collins released a book that reproduced the pink and green sets, in BW, but that's Ok since the cards weren't in color anyway, except for the border. 

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 02:24:25 PM »
I collected the cards (way back when) but never attained a complete set of either. Where they ended up is anybody's guess. My older sister gave away all of my collectibles from my childhood & teens, a hundred years ago - so that's probably where they went. I have just one now. It was given to me by a fellow on-line DS fan/friend I physically met at the Vegas fest. I had it laminated and I keep it in my wallet. Whenever I need an attitude adjustment, I whip it out and it brings a smile to my face. I love my one DS card, lol.