Author Topic: Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis Production Announcement  (Read 3204 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis Production Announcement
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »
This has puzzled me for years. As I'm sure everyone knows the DS eps used to have that announcent that DS is a DCP. It stops during early Barnabas. I was at a Fest and I'm pretty sure I heard a clip where that announcement came on after a Leviathan episode!  Does anyone remember if this was done on air during the original run? If so, why was it on the tapes for the first year or so and not later?  It's a very trivial question, but I've wondered about it for a long time.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis Production Announcement
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:37:51 PM »
I think you may be right about that, I sort of remember something like that happening.  The DCP logo was also changed in a few episodes around that time.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:59:08 AM »
And when the ABC announcer stopped doing the DCP spiel in the early episodes, Hall and Moltke picked it up for a bit, but that didn't last long.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:49:25 AM »
This doesn't answer the question about how I could have heard that announcement over in an episode from late 69 or 70. I wonder if they continued it, but did not record it on the master in favor of having it go out live on the broadcast date. I'm certain I heard it at a festival, but it came from what looked like a BW kinescope instead of one of the color masters. I could be wrong, which is why I'm checking to see if anyone has similar memories. All my old audio tapes are not of any help. They don't have the end credit music.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 03:34:32 AM »
i think part of this question is covered in 1 of the kls books maybe the almanac but im not positive. the reason for the end announcement being stopped is because 1 of the station breaks was eliminated at some point and they didnt need the announcer to say "dark shadows will return in a moment" or "dark shadows is brought to you by" so i guess they fired the guy. the other part of your question where the dcp spiel is heard on a 69 or 70 episode, i dont know the answer to that.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:43:19 AM »
After what Joe said, I'm beginning to think I heard it wrong at the Fest. Memory is a tricky thing.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »
I'm not sure about whether or not the DCP announcement was ever heard at the end of a Leviathans ep. I don't recall ever hearing it - but I haven't watched Leviathans in years. However, one thing that I do know is that they didn't continue it by doing it live.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »
Which was exactly my point about Hall and Moltke filling in.  The ABC announcer no longer did it live, so if you heard his voice, I doubt it was there originally.  Since he had stopped in 1967, I can't imagine the announcement being picked up later on especially just for one episode.  Maybe they added it just for fun at the fest, but idk. 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 06:49:14 AM »
I have noticed something really weird.  The announcement happens quite frequently on episodes that are in kinetoscope format!  What could this possibly mean?  I heard it in 1795 and now I just heard it in 1969 - Episode 683.  What could this mean?

Was the end title music redone on the regular color episodes at some point, thus eliminating the DCP announcement?  There wouldn't be a point to redoing the music on the kinetoscope episodes due to quality clash, though I think I recall one instance in which the music was clearly restored.  This is really intriguing.  Just thought I'd bring it up.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »
As I stated in an earlier post, I was pretty certain I heard that announcement over a Leviathan episde (you could see the altar). I'm pretty sure the clip was in BW.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »
We just heard it in PT episode #1021.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:43 AM »
That's very interesting. And I just checked my VHS tape from the '97 Sci-Fi broadcast of Ep #1021, and it's on there too, which isn't always the case. (Some of the music cues had been changed for broadcast on Sci-Fi.  [mady])

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 02:09:32 AM »
So I am thinking that the announcement was always there on the original broadcasts.  Somewhere along the lines, the audio was redone for the end titles and the announcement was lost.  This is really weird, considering that the announcement is present in all of the early episodes.  I don't understand the logic behind this, but this is one of the few conclusions that we can draw about this interesting phenomenon. 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 02:16:10 AM »
The sound during the closing credits of #1021 was strange too, distorted or noisy or something.   I figure that someone pressed a wrong button or something, though it seems odd that a bit of tape would have stayed poised and ready to be played that they'd abandoned years earlier.

No one would have gone through episodes after broadcast and eliminated that announcement... I'm not even sure it would have been possible.   Anyway, no one would have had any reason to bother.    I think I'd remember if during my childhood, that announcement had always been there.   I'm sure it wasn't.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 02:24:52 AM »
1 reason for rerecording the end music credits would be to cover up the abc announcer promoting other abc shows but i agree with the previous poster because i remember watching the show originally (although not on a regular basis) but never hearing that "dark shadows is a dan curtis production" in later episodes.