Author Topic: Interesting Find: Worldvision DS DVDs  (Read 970 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Interesting Find: Worldvision DS DVDs
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:17:04 AM »
I was watching DVD Collection 4 when I noticed something truly interesting.  At the end of Episode 357 I heard something I hadn't heard in years.  The screen went black and I was waiting for the next episode to start when this strange synth-like sound emitted from the blackness.  I recognized it immediately.  It was the first note of the Worldvision Enterprises theme, the distribution company that was in charge of Dark Shadows' syndication. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkZGfkCGS_k&feature=related

I had never heard it before on my DVDs and was quite taken aback by it.  So, I guess when putting together the DVDs, MPI used copies of the episodes (or at least certain episodes) that are tagged with the Worldvision jingle and logo.  Has anyone else noticed this?

ClaudeNorth

Re: Interesting Find: Worldvision DS DVDs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:55:55 AM »
Interesting you should mention this.  Not long ago, I was watching my DS DVDs and I experienced the same thing, but wasn't sure if I merely imagined it/was flashing back to 1983 and its run on NJN.  I'll have to go back and check out that episode.

On a related note, I forget the exact episode, but in one of the pre-Barnabas episodes there appears a very faint image of what appears to be a person during the fade out/fade in between two of the acts.  I know that commercials were fed directly into the episodes during taping, so I'm guessing that a frame or two of a commercial was accidentally left in this episode when the commercials were edited out for home video.  (Part of me wishes that MPI released the entire series with all of the commercials intact...)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:51:08 AM »
I'd love to see DS with the original commercials if there were options to watch with or without the ads.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »
It would be wonderful to see more of the original commercials.  I really enjoyed the few we got to see in the Pre-Barnabas DVDs. 

I also liked the Dark Shadows 1795 ad that was a bonus on DVD Set 4.  I wonder what other DS commercials were aired.  It would be nice if someone dug some up, but I doubt anymore have survived.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
I know people are weary of hearing me harp on this, but I know that somewhere on the tapes for 1970 must be Grayson's Playtex bra commercial, because people remember it being aired during DS b'casts that year.  I've asked why this hasn't been included in any of the DS releases and there is never any answer.  Those of us in Grayon's Legion want to see that commercial!

On the old MPI VHS series, three episodes were included with the original commercials as an extra.  I do not know whether these were ever made available on the DVDs.  I know one of the commercials had a lovely sequence involving Marie Wallace and Jerry Lacey.  It would be a nice thing to have in one's DS library.

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:36:51 AM »
Gothick, darling, I will never grow weary of hearing about Grayson's legendary Playtex bra commercial, which I would love to see.  And then there are Don Briscoe's commercials for cigarettes (on a beach!) and soap (in the shower!)...not to mention a few other items of Briscoebilia for which we Briscoephiles yearn... [snow_wink]