Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0950  (Read 1195 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0950
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0950
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:07:46 AM »
Q just barely beats Jeb to the accuse, much good it does him.   Apparently the police have decided on their own that Philip's a schizophrenic... and they seem to think Philip needs no understandable motive because of that.   You could use that scam to frame anyone!

I like Quentin in this episode.  He's smart while others aren't... he cuts straight to the heart of what's wrong with Jeb's accusation, and Jeb has to stand there with a stupid look on his face... which Carolyn doesn't spot.   Stoddard was killed by something so horrible it scared the life out of him, and that thing wasn't Philip Todd.   Work that brain, Quentin.   Philip also doesn't leave a slime trail!

Barnabas reveals his treachery to Jeb moments before Jeb outs him, by saying in front of Q, "You're in trouble, Jeb."   Then Barnabas is surprised that Jeb knows.  Odd.

Quentin's totally involved, and heroic for the very first time.  (I don't count Q and Amanda in purgatory.)   It's a dark sort of heroism though, as we see when he says, "I'm going to have to kill that... man."   He's already a far more interesting hero than Barnabas.   ***  Jeb implies he knows Q's old....?

Meg's a heavy sleeper...   So Jeb and Carolyn marry, then what?  How does a wedding unleash the Leviathans upon the world?   Increasingly in 1970 people don't care so much about marriage.... yet the Leviathans do!   No overthrowing humanity before marriage!  They're so traditional...

Someplace Adam's shivering without his sweater.  ***  Jeb's mauling exceeds that of any R Davis character... he smooshes and mangles Carolyn's hair so much I'm surprised his hands didn't get caught in there.

Now there's one unpleasant cliffhanger.   No matter what else I may not like about this stretch, seeing Barnabas bitten again is very sad.  
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:28:39 AM »
Apparently the police have decided on their own that Philip's a schizophrenic... and they seem to think Philip needs no understandable motive because of that.
Yes, the police should know that a confession doesn't prove that the confessing person did the crime, but maybe Jeb gave Philip a few details about the deaths of Paul Stoddard and Sheriff Davenport that the police had been withholding.

I wish we could have seen Carolyn telling her mother about Philip's confession.  Elizabeth knew that Jeb killed Paul, right?  I don't know if she knew he killed Sheriff Davenport, but it doesn't matter;: she knows that Philip's confession is false.  Did she realize that Philip was wavering in his faith?  Probably not.  After all, she seems to have no idea that any Leviathan follower might not be as fervent as she is.  So she probably believes that Philip voluntarily sacrificed himself solely for the sake of the Leviathans.  Does she believe that he will be tried and sentenced?  If so, she probably thinks him privileged to suffer for the Leviathan cause.  On the other hand, maybe she believes that Jeb will save Philip.  Whatever she thinks, she probably had trouble pretending to be as upset as Carolyn claimed she was.

I was thinking that if I were going to destroy the Box, I would throw it into the fire that was so nice and handy by the Leviathan altar, but I suppose a Leviathan fire would not harm a Leviathan box.  Still, I don't think a cane, even a silver-handled cane, would be effective against the Box.  Barnabas should have consulted with Stokes.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:19 AM »
 2/13/70

I love how David plays Quentin watching Jeb like a hawk!  This episode feels very unfamiliar to me however this only the second time I have seen the Leviathans.   “The only place we could’ve met is the only place I’ve never been---HELL!!”  HA LOL  I love that it seems like smart ass Q is coming back now that he has shed that horrid Amanda seemingly in HELL.   [snow_huh]  For the record I think DM seems like a nice actress and lady but I just didn’t like Amanda.   Selby just has it.  Great screen presence and swagger.  Oh QUENTIN  I wish I would meet you near a antique shop…..:SIGH:

That bat cracks me up!   So campy and funny!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »
Wonderful comments, all!

Lots of very neat dialogue by Sam Hall, and action nicely choreographed so that Carolyn keeps missing all the incriminating stuff.  Chris Pennock continues to stumble with his lines, but I think he fared better during the charged exchanges.  At this point, Jeb IS cleverer than his enemies, so his smugness felt more tolerable.  And I especially liked that he seemed to scoff at Quentin's suggestion that he spent time in hell (Jeb: "You think that's where I've been?").  The Leviathans, after all, existed long before Christianity got its start, which makes them forces of darkness that preceded Diabolos.  But I don't recall all the details of the hooded guy's involvement down the road, so my opinion on that could change.  Overall, I enjoyed the ep, but with one exception:
Barnabas to Jeb:  "You cannot let Philip die for what you have done."
In that entire century, Maine did not have a death penalty.  So WTH?

Also unfortunate-- despite what they say, I'm not seeing sexual chemistry between Jeb and Carolyn.  Before they kiss, you can almost see the actor thinking okay, I said my line so now I kiss her...

A blooper-- a camera pokes into view during a drawing room scene

Carolyn speaks on the phone to the new Collinsport sheriff, and she tells him, "You must call in a psychiatrist or something."
The Soup could dedicate an entire segment to that called Carolyn Stoddard, Unlikely Voice of Reason.

Barnabas to the Spirits, at the cairn:  "Know that ... my days will be spent ridding my world of the Leviathans."
Er, nights.  ;)

Only 4 actors in the ep, plus the poor schmuck who had to play dead under a trenchcoat.

Jeb implies he knows Q's old....?

Hmm.  In the last ep Amy had the dream, and afterward she told Jeb that the ghost looked identical to Quentin and that he knew about Jeb even though his storyline got bypassed completely by him.  So what Jeb knows now must've been tied to that in some way.  Somehow.  (??)

Meg's a heavy sleeper...

Ha!  Whoever wrote Jeb's tale of waking Megan to give her a sedative must have spent time in a hospital.  :P

So Jeb and Carolyn marry, then what?  How does a wedding unleash the Leviathans upon the world?

When Barnabas spoke about ridding his world of the Leviathans, were the writers implying that they also exist in another world or dimension, so that what happens in the wedding ceremony would open the way for them to enter ours?  Or am I reading too much into the wording?

Someplace Adam's shivering without his sweater.

LOL

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:37:15 PM »
In that entire century, Maine did not have a death penalty.  So WTH?

BINGO!! You've hit on the #1 reason why all the foolishness about Philip dying, being hanged, etc. because he's confessed is the single most ridiculous plot point in what's already the most ridiculous plot turn ever.

Carolyn speaks on the phone to the new Collinsport sheriff, and she tells him, "You must call in a psychiatrist or something."
The Soup could dedicate an entire segment to that called Carolyn Stoddard, Unlikely Voice of Reason.

Oh, if only The Soup had been on back then! Think of what they could have done with some parts of DS.  :D

Someplace Adam's shivering without his sweater.

LOL

[lghg]  But, actually, Adam's sweater was a turtleneck. All the better to hide his scars, I suppose.  [wink2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 02:07:34 AM »
Barnabas to the Spirits, at the cairn:  "Know that ... my days will be spent ridding my world of the Leviathans."
Er, nights.  ;)

i'd like to have seen him snap his fingers, wince, and then correct himself.   I'm sure it takes a couple of days to readjust to the vampire lifestyle once again...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 05:42:20 AM »
MT, it was during the buildup to his actually being bitten.  I was being a [smrtasy], sorry.

Woo hoo, MB!  I wondered if that's what you meant, but I wasn't sure when it came up.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 06:00:49 AM »
MT, it was during the buildup to his actually being bitten.  I was being a [smrtasy], sorry.

I think people should apologize to me if they're not being a [smrtasy]...   I forgot when that line came.

Jeb's sweater now seems to be a sort of half-turtleneck.