Author Topic: Discuss - Infamous Ep #0938  (Read 2658 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Infamous Ep #0938
« on: February 17, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Infamous Ep #0938
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:34 AM »
Infamous, eh?  Well, it was pivotal I guess, being completely devoted to Barnabas and Julia telling each other each other's stories, thus merging them into one story again.   Nice shot by the fire as they start.   I wasn't sure how much was old tape, but there was a newly-shot scene of Oberon and Barnabas taking place between his arrival at the cairn and his waking up again.   If this adjusted backstory is the infamous part, well, this had already been introduced into the story earlier.   We just get to see it this time.

The one thing that I thought would have added validity to it would have been if Oberon had needed Barnabas to drop some barrier (voluntarily) in his mind against total domination to become the Leviathan "leader", and so Oberon had used Josette to gain this very reluctant "permission", during that forgotten interlude.   Barnabas would have been blackmailed into allowing a brainwashing that ordinarily he would have been able to fight off.   Then of course the domination would have prevented Barnabas from remembering it.

This was well done, overall.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:02:40 AM »
This is also the ep with the opening voiceover that was rarely seen in US syndication and never seen nor heard on the Sci Fi Channel, so original fans who wanted to see it again had to wait til MPI released it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:23:40 AM »
I didn't recognize the voice in the VO, and later decided it must have been the actor who played Oberon.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 06:44:05 AM »
I wasn't sure how much was old tape, but there was a newly-shot scene of Oberon and Barnabas taking place between his arrival at the cairn and his waking up again.
I believe that was the only new scene, and I think it really was pretty clever of the writers to throw it in after all the other clips so that, back when viewers saw an episode once and only once, they might think, "I don't really remember it, but it looks about right."  Slightly earlier in the episode, Barnabas said that he had been able to keep Josette from jumping off Widows Hill, and that wasn't correct; it was Natalie who stopped Josette.  It wasn't an important change; I assume the idea was simply to save time.

The added scene tells us that Leviathans are fully aware that the effect of the will-suppressing dream will slowly wear off, because Oberon says Barnabas will remember the vampire and Josette threats only if it becomes necessary to remind him.

It must have hurt Julia to hear that Barnabas and Kitty actually got so far as planning to marry.  And then Barnabas said he thought he knew what would happen when he took Kitty's hand as she was dissolving into the portrait.  What did he think would happen?  Did he think he could yank her out of the portrait?  Or was it going to turn into a portrait of Barnabas and Josette together, with Barnabas and Kitty somewhere in blissful limbo?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24:18 AM »
Infamous, eh?

Oh yes - extremely infamous. Check out this topic starting with this post:
1970 program announcement
and also be sure to read reply #3 to read specific letters as well as a bonus letter that will give you an image in your head with regard to a certain character - an image that will probably prove to be nearly impossible to get out of your head whenever that character is on screen in upcoming eps.  [lghy]

If this adjusted backstory is the infamous part, well, this had already been introduced into the story earlier.

Given the major promotion for the ep (that's detailed in the linked post), the sore spot with many fans (as is obvious in the letters shared in reply #3 of the linked topic) was the fact that practically everything that was supposedly "revealed" as "the real story of the terrifying Leviathan plot", including that business with Oberon, was already known.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »
Thanks MB retroactively, for the postings over 6 years ago, and for referring me back there!   I guess you meant Davenport=Shemp... but I was thinking how effective his zombie was when I just saw the episode.  We get a few moments to watch his face as he looks out into the living world again, but with different eyes.   But then, I sometimes wonder if I'm the one embuing what I'm viewing with content...   

Yes, I'd have been PO'd myself, had I been suckered in by those promos.   I have no memory whatsoever of the Leviathans from childhood, so I must have tuned out awfully soon.   Networks often make the big mistake of lying to viewers to get them to watch.  UPN kept doing this with Voyager promos.   I guess their mommies or teachers never told them the story of the boy who cried wolf.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »
I couldn't stop them from drugging me,

umm, did they 'drug' Barnabas?

Also, shouldn't the narrative be about 'Kitty', not Josette?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »
From the 1970 comment letter in Teen Beat regarding Megan and Philip:
I've seen better acting from my high school's drama club
I'm so glad someone besides me felt this way!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 01:34:51 AM »
I love this episode and I would conisder it INFAMOUS!  To me there are really no words to describe it. It's beautifully lit, atmopsheric, and haunting.  I also love that Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall are the only "live" actors working that day!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 06:35:42 AM »
I also love that Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall are the only "live" actors working that day!
Peter Lombard must have been there too, for the new scene with Oberon.  I was wondering if the woman who played Haza (Robin Lane, according to a couple of websites, but I sure can't remember) wasn't available, or if management just didn't want to pay for another actor.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
It's beautifully lit, atmopsheric, and haunting.

There's certainly no denying that (particularly, as Magnus alluded, the shot of Barn and Julia in front of the fire - beautiful [thumb]). Though for original viewers, there's also no denying that it didn't live up to the hype that ABC built up for it.  :(  Original viewers didn't tune in looking for beautiful lighting and atmosphere - they wanted answers - and on that score they got squat.  >:(

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 01:36:33 AM »
I wish all the promo's you mentioned had survived.  Were they like the one that Alexandra & Jonathan did for 1795? Or just voiceover's???
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 06:37:25 AM »
Opening Michael's grave was accomplished under calm skies, and Julia was dry when she arrived at Collinwood to force an explanation out of Barnabas.  The two of them decided to head for the privacy of the Old House, the DS theme played, and then cue the thunder and lightning, the mood lighting, and the raging fire.  But that's not the most implausible part...

I get why they added the never-before-seen part with Oberon.  It served to impart information that had until now unfolded slowly over nearly 50 eps-- from the start of the storyline right up to the last one.  In other words, it was an easy (perhaps lazy) way to insure that all viewers got up to speed on the story.  But I happen to think that Leviathans, in theory, was not a bad idea, so maybe I'm alone in thinking that catching up this way is the same as skipping chapters of a marvelous book and reading the Cliffs Notes instead.  But even worse, to insert the scene at a point when we thought Barnabas was unconscious threw the door open to inconsistencies, as retconning often does.  For example, it makes no sense for Oberon to tell Barnabas the details of the punishments that the Leviathans had in mind for him if the intent was that he would forget them anyway.  And it clearly was not the only thing that Barnabas didn't remember about Oberon's lesson; based on #915 alone, Barn came to the present not only unaware of the background of this race of people (Adlar had to spell it out for him even though Oberon covers it here), but he seemed clueless that any punishment awaited him at all and horrified that the Leviathans knew his dirty little vampiric secrets (despite Oberon telling him here that "we know everything about you").

Like Patti, I hated the revelation that Barnabas was drugged at the cairn.  No no no!  What need would powerful, ancient beings have of pharmaceuticals?

BTW, the hand of Sheriff Davenport belongs to Assoc. Prod. George DiCenzo.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 06:58:34 AM »
Oops, one more thing.  Julia told Barnabas that Angelique lent her the portrait in exchange for a promise to never involve her with the Collinses.  But that's not true.  The promise that Angelique asked her to make was that Julia would never tell the Collinses she was there, which Julia just broke by telling Barnabas about it.