Author Topic: An Enduring Dark Shadows Mystery  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
Re: An Enduring Dark Shadows Mystery
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2002, 07:37:44 AM »
Knowing how arthritis feels, how did Barnabas even manage to get out of the coffin after lying in it for 175 years?  Wouldn't he be stiff.  Maybe they didn't have such things as arthritis in those days.  Probably took better care of themselves.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2002, 05:22:18 PM »
As to the non- existence of a loo at Collinwood, I can just see Roger Collins' sneering reaction to an innocent request to use the bathroom:

"We haven't any.  The Collins family never goes.  And if we did, it would never smell anyway." :-X

Petofi

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2002, 05:45:16 PM »
Knowing how arthritis feels, how did Barnabas even manage to get out of the coffin after lying in it for 175 years?  Wouldn't he be stiff.  Maybe they didn't have such things as arthritis in those days.  Probably took better care of themselves.

Tanis, I think if they didn't suffer from arthritis it was because they usually died of something horrible at a much younger age.  A splinter can kill you if you're unlucky enough to get one before someone invents antibiotics!!

Actually, I think Abigail Adams suffered terribly with arthritis...some reward for beating the 18th century odds!! :P

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2002, 08:00:11 PM »
The lost colony upped and moved to Tahiti, Amelia Earhart was abducted by aliens, and before Archie Bunker flushed his toilet in the early 70's, nobody in tv land ever went to the bathroom.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2002, 02:12:40 AM »
Speaking of Barnabus  . . . Ok he gets out of the coffin after 172 years then the next thing we know he shows up at Collinwood to meet his family.  Where did he get the money to buy his new clothes?   Surely he wasn't buried with a wad of cash in his pocket.  

Hi murph. Barnabas knew where a hidden cache of jewels was buried/locked up, which is where he gets his money from. We see this small treasure trove early on in the Adam storyline, when Willie removes it from the hidden compartment in the Old House basement and retrieves Josette's earrings, which he gives to Maggie.

In the 1991 revival series, they are a little more explicit in explaining where Barnabas gets his money from. We see him removing this small treasure chest from a hidden compartment in the mausoleum.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2002, 12:23:12 PM »
Years ago, a friend who was a big fan of Cheryl Ladd's when she worked on CHARLIE'S ANGELS, said that a gorgeous gal like that doesn't sit on the bowl, squeezing like the rest of us.  Her poop comes out from a small slit in her abdomen, all wrapped in shiny foil, stinkless, perfect, like a baked potato.

I always assumed the same was true of everyone living at Collinwood or the Old House.  No muss, no fuss, and no need for a toilet.  

As for #1, well, out in the woods, I suppose.  Ever notice that there are some people you just CAN'T imagine defecating or urinating?  They just don't seem the type!

Love, Robin

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2002, 02:45:01 PM »
Years ago, a friend who was a big fan of Cheryl Ladd's when she worked on CHARLIE'S ANGELS, said that a gorgeous gal like that doesn't sit on the bowl, squeezing like the rest of us.  Her poop comes out from a small slit in her abdomen, all wrapped in shiny foil, stinkless, perfect, like a baked potato.

Hey Robin,

You come up with some of the most unusual information... ::)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2002, 03:28:49 PM »
Well.....maybe that's why so many of the characters were out wandering the woods at all hours of the day and night--they were looking for just the right spot that hadn't already been used.

You know, poison ivy leaves can be used as toilet paper
;D   When I worked at the derm office, a patient came in with that complaint. He was out jogging when nature called and didn't have anything handy.

He wasn't too happy when he found out what he had! :o
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2002, 08:14:35 PM »
Dear RobinV,

I loved your comments on Cheryl Ladd of Charlie's Angels.  (Isn't the lovely Jacklyn Smith of Charlie's Angels, the ex-wife of one of Dark Shadows' most "beloved" actors?)

Your comment about observing nature's call in the woods reminds of an old rhetorical question that can be applied to Dark Shadows:  Does Willie Loomis #@%@ in the woods of Collinwood?  (I guess since they bury countless copses on/in the grounds of Collinwood, they might as well "bury" that other "material" as well!)

Scatologically yours,

Bob the Bartender

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2002, 01:37:24 AM »
I think what was was said about what Roger Collins might say would be just about right, "We just don't do those things."

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Connie

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2002, 09:15:48 AM »

Your comment about observing nature's call in the woods reminds of an old rhetorical question that can be applied to Dark Shadows:  Does Willie Loomis #@%@ in the woods of Collinwood?  

I guess no one was paying attention the other day when Adam was bullying Julia, Barnabas and Willie around.  (I believe it was the scene before Willie showed up with the rifle at the top of the stairs.)

Anyway, Willie was trying to get out of there and Adam was saying no, and Willie yelled, "I gotta GO!" and proceeded to run up the stairs.

Proof positive.  There's a bathroom upstairs at the Old House.

Case closed.   ;D

-CLC

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2002, 09:26:46 AM »
Anyway, Willie was trying to get out of there and Adam was saying no, and Willie yelled, "I gotta GO!" and proceeded to run up the stairs.

Proof positive.  There's a bathroom upstairs at the Old House.

Case closed.

I like this Connie person. She has a very serious handle on the ridiculous.

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2002, 02:12:47 PM »
All I want to say is, thank God that Maggie finally got out of that lousy Collins Mausoleum secret room!

By the way, didn't Barnabas and Willie bury Jason McGuire down under the dirt floor of the secret room about a year before?  (I thought that old Jason might have started to "spring up" through the dirt floor in the form of shamrocks right about now.)  So, how come there is now a cobblestone floor in the room?

Maybe Willie installed the new floor before he got plugged outside of the Evans cottage.  Or maybe Willie has worked very swiftly on the floor since he has returned from Wyndcliff.  Somehow, I just can't see the 18th century, aristocratic Barnabas Collins deigning to perform hard, physical labor, can you?

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2002, 04:40:52 PM »
I am sticking with the theory that the Collins family just does not have to use the facilities.  They are much like the nuns from parochial school they never heard the call of nature either.  At least that is what my mother told me.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2002, 05:11:07 PM »
...I just can't see the 18th century, aristocratic Barnabas Collins deigning to perform hard, physical labor, can you?

Unless, of course, he's beating Willie Loomis with that wolf head's cane or building a wall downstairs for Rev. Trask.

But I guess that's really more recreation than labor...isn't it?
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...