Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0919_0920_0921  (Read 1539 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0919_0920_0921
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:55:57 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0919_0920_0921
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:05:45 AM »
Oh come on, three episode numbers for this one?!

The Tate age makeup looks a little better up close for some reason.   He had to have a full head of hair still, didn't he... he should obsess on this like he does with his art.   The genius of his hair will make it live forever!!!  HAW HAW HAW HAW!!!

Carolyn thinks Alexander is tall enough to put his hands over her eyes.... 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:33:27 AM »
OK, so the Leviathans are about energy, intelligence, and power.  They are also about unpleasantness and cluelessness.  Michael has to know that soon he's going to have the form of a fully grown man.  If, by some weird happenstance, he does make a lasting connection as Michael with Carolyn, then that connection will be a problem when he tries to form a relationship with her as a man.  Oh, but I'm thinking as a human.  I suppose he figures that, whatever happens, she is fated to be his, and she'll be so smitten with him as a man that she'll accept the story that he's her beloved Michael in another form.

That disposes of the issue of cluelessness.  The issue of unpleasantness remains.  Once again, I'm thinking as a human, with a silly human idea that life is better when people get along.  But what is the goal of the Leviathans, anyway?  I don't think I'm giving away any spoilers when I reveal that they do not reach their goal and that we are able to proceed to the glories of parallel time without answering to Leviathan masters.  So: when the Leviathans do reach their goal, what will the world be like?  One thing's for sure: it won't be nice.  Of course, I could be misunderstanding matters.  Human history tells of many underage kings who were spoiled because nobody dared to say no to them.  And it could be that, to the Leviathans, being mean to humans is sort of like stepping on ants for us - i.e. something that, for most people, is of infinitely little consequence.  But I don't think so.  I think the Leviathans are just naturally mean.  And where's the fun in that?

There was fun in the scene in the antique shop with Carolyn, Philip, and Michael, when none of them were saying a word and Carolyn and Philip were both being very uncomfortable around Michael.  And then after Carolyn left, Michael claimed that it was Philip who was making Carolyn uncomfortable!  More cluelessness.

Meanwhile Philip has remembered that there are other things in the world besides the Leviathan goal.  He believes that he'll be able to go on with the shop that he and Megan have dreamed about for so long.  He's deluding himself.  But it's interesting to see the spell wearing off.  If Philip looked inside the box again, would its vigor be renewed?

I was surprised to hear that Megan had gone to an auction.  I thought that the general division of responsibilities was that Philip bought and Megan sold.  But maybe Philip was expecting a customer at the shop who would need his personal attention.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »
What would the Leviathan world be like?  A bizarre, horrific, dark landscape populated by creatures who are somehow at the same time vaguely snake-like monsters and formless essence.  Humans would all be dead, or maybe some get to convert to the other form.   Were you wondering about the system of power amongst the Leviathans, post V-Day?   All this makes Philip's ideas about keeping his antiques career going especially bizarre!

As for Michael's approaching Carolyn, his attitude is extremely human.  I don't consider reason to be a basic human quality, but something one has to work hard at superimposing over our basic impulsiveness.   And Alexander/Michael/etc is all about impulse.   Evil is often depicted that way: utterly unthinking, irresponsible hedonism.  As I just saw in a Buffy episode: "Want... take... have."   

I could then go on about the fact that I think we all have a side to us that desperately wants to be that way, to throw off all the rules and control and just act.   

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:13:23 AM »
Were you wondering about the system of power amongst the Leviathans, post V-Day?
No, not about the system of power, though that's necessarily related.  More like: If the Leviathans are going to create a thoroughly nasty universe, then why do they want it?  What's the point?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:25:38 PM »
No, not about the system of power, though that's necessarily related.  More like: If the Leviathans are going to create a thoroughly nasty universe, then why do they want it?  What's the point?

I'm sure that's a good question, but I'm still not sure what you mean.   If it's that they're creating an unpleasant world for themselves, it would physically be a better environment...  Mean people manage to have a lot of fun being mean, or at least a lot of satisfaction.   It's temporary though and they keep having to find people to be mean to, even after they've killed all their enemies (and I do think humans are important enough to them to enjoy slaughtering them), so I think in an all-Leviathan world, they'd end up turning on each other, which might be how they left this world in the first place.

Being that mean isn't really a choice.  If you're twisted enough, you're too far gone to find your way back out.   You're just sort of stuck with it, and you have to look for outlets.   A world of vicious snakish creatures isn't ideal, but if you're one of those creatures, that's as good as it gets.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
The voiceover places Tate's house "not far from Collinwood"-- evidently, Rockport borders Collinsport, and vice versa (?).

Carolyn on the evening of the first full moon (MB's cap from #917):

Carolyn the next day (from this ep):

Didn't she go to bed?

Rollerskates!!

Quentin:  "Something is drawing me back to that crazy man and that crazy house."
What drew him back?

Oh come on, three episode numbers for this one?!
It made up for the pre-emption on New Year's Day during the week before, plus one they missed that was mentioned in this post:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0894_0895

For this one, it could have been for the previous week's 11/24 pre-emption for the Apollo 12 mission landing or the 11/27 pre-emption by football on Thanksgiving.  But they got caught up later when #919_920_921 was assigned.

If the Leviathans are going to create a thoroughly nasty universe, then why do they want it?  What's the point?
Power?  Leviathans despise us for assuming control over the world.  Humans forced them to submit or be destroyed, so I imagine the Leviathans have the same thing in mind if they were to rule.  I'm picturing Joss Whedon's vision when the portal was opened at the end of Buffy's fifth season-- horrific creatures and chaos and darkness.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Power?  Leviathans despise us for assuming control over the world.  Humans forced them to submit or be destroyed, so I imagine the Leviathans have the same thing in mind if they were to rule.  I'm picturing Joss Whedon's vision when the portal was opened at the end of Buffy's fifth season-- horrific creatures and chaos and darkness.

[spoiler]I think it would have been fabublous to see the world over ran by Leviathans and then Barnabas Julia and the others having to restore the natural order.[/spoiler] PS...that was a great answer Midnite!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 12:05:03 AM »
Thanks.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 08:33:52 AM »
OK, power.  I always have trouble seeing unspecified power as a desideratum; for me, the question is: Power to do what?  But I guess Leviathans (and some people) don't care about the what, only about the power.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Desideratum-- great word. 

Power as a goal might be a little absurd to us, but it really gets people's imaginations going.   They don't think: what then?   What do we do with the power?   Mainly, their egos are fed.   That's a prime motivation.   We all prop up our sense of self-worth in one way or another.  That's for individuals, but I guess people identify with groups, and transfer some of that desire for power to the group, which is what hyper-nationalism and racism are I guess.   A primal urge gets transferred to an abstract entity then, so it all seems like it would be a little "thin" at that point, but people still feel very strongly about it all, don't they?