Author Topic: Annoying website adds Dark Shadows  (Read 1428 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Annoying website adds Dark Shadows
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:45:22 AM »
For what this is worth. "Am I Annoying" website added DS to its site and lists some reasons why the show may be considered annoying and reasons why it may not be annoying and you can vote if you really want to-maybe we shouldn't draw any more attention to this website lol

http://www.amiannoying.com/(S(oxqra0awyfnrg0q1sd5j1uuv))/view.aspx?ID=27807

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying website adds Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:07:28 AM »
I check out this website everyday just for kicks and was startled to see DS listed as the first recent entry.  I'd been browsing another DS site just before I clicked over to amiannoying, so it was mildly disorienting.  I've seen some of the DS actors (from both the original and 1991 series) listed previously, so I guess it was only a matter of time before the show itself was profiled. Actually, this write-up is more respectful than some of the other entries I've seen.  So far, it looks like only two people have voted "annoying." :)

ProfStokes

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »
It seemed to me that some of the "Why Dark Shadows might be annoying" reasons should have been put in the "Why Dark Shadows might not be annoying" category, and vice versa.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »
To be honest I never heard of this site before but maybe I will check it out more. Who are those two people who voted our show annoying-I want names! jk

It is true that some of the stated reasons can apply to each other. At least Dark Shadows is being discussed so I guess this is not a terrible thing as it could have been worse as ProfStokes pointed out.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »
The problem with that site is that, if someone is so inclined, they can vote multiple times - and that basically renders the results worthless. If someone dislikes something, they can vote annoying over and over again, and if they like something, they can vote not annoying over and over again. And, of course, there are some people who are going to vote annoying for almost everything simply because they can...

For what it's worth, I see that right now, with 20 votes, DS is 10% annoying.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 01:04:34 AM »
Joan Bennett's and Kate Jackson's names are on the site.
Julia99

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 06:16:42 AM »
I'm thinking someone has pissed off the anti-DS forces on this Web site - or at least the people who hate to see anything below 50% annoying, which not many things appear to be. I've never seen so many people annoyed by so much! Especially by so much stuff that, to me, seems to be totally innocuous, if not outright insignificant to the daily lives of nearly everyone on the planet! [snow_rolleyes]

But anyway, I've check in several times during the past week, and DS has been almost consistently around 5.2% annoying, which in and of itself seems positively amazing for that site. And if the percentage went up (not usually higher than 5.7%), it soon went back down to 5.2%, which, mathematically speaking, often required 500 or more not-annoying votes to get it back down because its total votes are already over 8000. But tonight I see that the DS is-annoying contingent has been motivated, either by being pissed off at seeing DS stay so low for so long or because they simply think nothing on the site should ever be that low, because DS is now at 6.55%. That may not seem like a big jump - but, mathematically speaking, with such a high amount of total votes, it is for only one day.

Of course, considering that the first day it was posted DS had reached 10% annoying - and back in the first few days I'd even seen it as high as 36% annoying - 6.55% is still well below both. But if the is-annoying forces have their way, it'll be interesting to see what percentage DS reaches before too long...

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »
Today it is at 10.7%. (I voted 5 times but didn't make a change.)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 07:01:11 PM »
At this point, because the overall vote total is so large, it takes about 13 not annoying votes just to drop the percentage by 1/100.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:36:48 AM »
DS fans can now vote on whether Jonathan Frid is annoying: http://www.amiannoying.com/(S(joormhugwgr15e45zfbevk55))/view.aspx?ID=28067

(0% so far! :))

ProfStokes

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:25:10 AM »
Anyone who could use less frustration in his/her life ought to remind themselves periodically that these things aren't "real" polls that mean anything; they're just ways for the makers to have a little fun and kill some time.   Most of what I like irritates most other people in the world, and vice versa.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 12:55:46 AM »
Maybe it's just me because I don't understand the site. I could think of a hell of a lot better ways to have fun and kill time than to vote who's annoying me - especially when so so many of the candidates on the site are either innocuous or so far removed from today's culture as to be ridiculous. But then, maybe that's the point. But even it that's so, I still don't get it.  [hdscrt]

I also don't understand why Frid is already up to 92.2% annoying! Well, unless it's that regular voters on the site were pissed that DS fans apparently got ahead of them in the voting for the show itself and they're now having to play catch up to get it up to some ridiculous annoying percentage and they're not about to let that same thing happen with Frid.  ::)  (Currently DS is up to 20.28% annoying. Up quite a bit from the last time someone posted the percentage - but still very low in comparison to others.)