Author Topic: New archive forum problem  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
New archive forum problem
« on: July 31, 2002, 02:34:21 PM »
For a couple of days, I was able to access the archives fine, and in fact posted there. But now I'm getting an error trying to access the archives that reads:

>>We're sorry, but AOL, Compuserve and MSN users cannot access this archive using Microsoft Internet Explorer within AOL or CS.

Please start IE separately from AOL, CS or MSN, go to http://www.dsboards.com, and you'll see that you're already logged (because you've already logged in using IE in AOL, CS or MSN). Close IE in AOL, CS or MSN, and then, using the separate version of IE, return to the archive by using one of the five links in the Members' Gateway.

This might seem inconvenient at first, but it's actually a better way to view items posted in the archive because AOL and CS convert Web site images to their own ART format before displaying them - often degrading them in the process. By using IE separately from AOL or CS, you'll be able to see the archive's content the way we've intended.

For MSN users, it's an archive security issue.<<

However, I'm not using AOL, CS, or MSN. I'm just coming straight in on IE 6.0. Cleared cache. Wazzup?

[shadow=black,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: New archive forum problem
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 06:30:24 PM »
However, I'm not using AOL, CS, or MSN. I'm just coming straight in on IE 6.0. Cleared cache. Wazzup?

Hmmm...very odd, Mark. :-/

You're browser is reporting that you're using IE 6.0 connected through MSN 2.5 under Windows 98.

Is there any possibility that you're connecting to the Internet through a network and might not be aware that the network is using MSN 2.5?

I'll IM you the info your browser is reporting. Maybe it will be able to help you figure out what might be going on...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2002, 06:33:03 PM »
You're showing up in our logs as having an msn server, so can it be that you're using Road Runner (rr.com)?  That might explain it, since it also uses AOL servers.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 12:38:22 AM »
Go figure. I can see the Road Runner network possibly being a problem since it uses AOL servers. But why it would indicate I'm using MSN is a total mystery. I long ago unloaded every trace of MSN that I could find on my computer, so it's not likely my computer itself; must be something in the Road Runner network.

I did get in OK a couple of days ago. Was that before changes were made for security purposes?

Later, I may hook up the phone line and see if I can get in through Mindspring.

[shadow=black,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2002, 01:04:19 AM »
Interesting. I just downloaded Netscape 6.2 and was able to log into the archives OK. I'm still using Road Runner, so it would seem it's not the AOL servers. It would appear to be tied to Internet Explorer itself, or so it would seem to me. I cannot for the life of me, though, figure out why the board would think I'm using MSN.

[shadow=maroon,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2002, 01:07:27 AM »
But why it would indicate I'm using MSN is a total mystery. I long ago unloaded every trace of MSN that I could find on my computer

How long ago? Could the version of IE that you're using have come from/with MSN 2.5?
Many ISPs either offer their own supposedly "specially" tweaked versions of both IE and Netscape, or while you're a member of their service, they'll imprint themselves on your browser without you even being aware of it. Sometimes a dead giveaway to either of those two situations can be that, instead of IE's logo displaying in the far right corner of the browser's button bar, you'll see their logo. (With MSN, though, the alternate logo might not be present because they're owned and operated by Microsoft. I don't honestly know what they might do because, surprise, I've never used MSN. ;))

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2002, 02:54:29 AM »

Sometimes a dead giveaway to either of those two situations can be that, instead of IE's logo displaying in the far right corner of the browser's button bar, you'll see their logo. (With MSN, though, the alternate logo might not be present because they're owned and operated by Microsoft. I don't honestly know what they might do because, surprise, I've never used MSN. ;))

MB...I NEVER noticed this before...I've got, I presume a windows 98?? flag over a globe?? What's that?
Patti
(it's NOT the Explorer E!!)
What a Woman!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2002, 04:00:04 AM »
Many ISPs either offer their own supposedly "specially" tweaked versions of both IE and Netscape, or while you're a member of their service, they'll imprint themselves on your browser without you even being aware of it. Sometimes a dead giveaway to either of those two situations can be that, instead of IE's logo displaying in the far right corner of the browser's button bar, you'll see their logo.

Yes, this version of IE 6.0 is Road Runner's; it's got the RR logo in the top right. I can't find any MSN files on the computer, though. I'm not savvy enough to know what file names to look for though, if they're using aliases, so to speak.

I can get to the archives, at least, using Netscape 6.2 now, although I'm not very fond of Netscape's interface. As for your question regarding them upgrading to a new version at work -- I wish! Upgrading Netscape is apparently a low priority.

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2002, 06:59:52 AM »
I can't find any MSN files on the computer, though. I'm not savvy enough to know what file names to look for though, if they're using aliases, so to speak.

If there aren't any outward signs that MSN could have imprinted itself on your version of IE, something far more subtle and, IMO, more insidious could be happening. First let me give you a little Windows programming lesson:

All Windows programs link to .dll files. These are dynamic link library files (dll for short), which contain routines that a main program will call. It's much easier for programmers to split programs up into separate files because if a certain routine needs to be altered or updated, only the library file that contains that routine has to be worked with. And most often these library files won't take up memory unless a routine in them is being called on.
But here's where things can get tricky, some ISPs will either add routines to already existing library files, or they'll create their own - and they'll do it in such a way that even if you upgrade your browser from Microsoft or Netscape's Web site rather than the ISP's own site, the newer version of the browser will still act as if the ISP's library file is a vital part of itself - hence the insidiousness of what they do.

Now, with Netscape it's fairly easy to get rid of these sneaky library files because all someone has to do is go to Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel and remove Netscape. Windows will read the main program to see what library files it calls, and if no other programs are also using them, they'll be removed from your hard drive (though it isn't always the case that Windows will actually remove all of them - but any that remain will be orphaned - which is something we'll get into shortly). Then you just reinstall your current version or upgrade.

However, with IE it isn't that simple. You can't just remove IE because it's part of the Windows operating system. The only way to be 100% sure that you've gotten rid of sneaky library files with IE is to completely reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch. Then if the version of IE that came with your Windows installation CD isn't the latest or the version of IE that you prefer, you have to upgrade to whatever version you'd rather have. (Yet more reasons why IE and Microsoft aren't exactly high on my list. [wink2])

But to get back to your point, Mark, the only way to know what library files your version of IE is linking to, would be to run a program like Ziff Davis' FindOrphans (which actually searches for "orphaned" library files (meaning .dlls that aren't being called by any program on your computer) so that you can delete them yourself - but it also lists all the dlls that your programs are linking to) or to open IE's main program in a any program that can read binary code and search through the actual code to find the names of the dlls yourself (which can usually be a VERY tedious process). But even when you do know what library files are being linked to, you then have to search through each of them to find what you're looking for (in this case, any references to MSN), and the programmers who developed these sneaky library files (for whatever ISP) know that the average IE user isn't about to do that. So they feel pretty confident that in the majority of instances (unless someone reinstalls Windows from scratch, or another ISP imprints itself on IE), their imprint of IE is going to remain - even if the subscriber decides to change ISPs somewhere down the line...

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2002, 01:31:23 AM »
...some ISPs will either add routines to already existing library files, or they'll create their own - and they'll do it in such a way that even if you upgrade your browser from Microsoft or Netscape's Web site rather than the ISP's own site, the newer version of the browser will still act as if the ISP's library file is a vital part of itself

MB -- Thanks. I surmised this was exactly what might be happening because I've reloaded IE before, and it still gives me the same RoadRunner logo. I had no idea it was actually utilizing MSN somehwhere in the process, however. At least with Netscape I can get to the archives when the mood takes me. Funny; Road Runner uses AOL servers, and Netscape is partnered with AOL. Sometimes life is stranger than shit.

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2002, 03:48:01 PM »
trying to get started(and please remember i'm clueless
when it comes to this !can saves lives but computers???)what is IE and why do i always get a headache when i read this stuff?

jennifer
i need something that is easier than simple!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2002, 03:51:39 PM »
internet explorer?
will try wish me luck!

jennifer

ps was able to do it YEAH! but do you have to do this every time?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2002, 04:43:25 AM »
I have never been able to access the achives.  I still get error messages.

IE 5.2 (Mac OSX)  I'm not on AOL or MSN or anything like that.  I have ATT Broadband.

Any ideas?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2002, 08:57:22 AM »
IE 5.2 (Mac OSX)  I'm not on AOL or MSN or anything like that.  I have ATT Broadband.

IE is probably the culprit. Have you tried clearing its disk cache and then accessing the archive with one of the five links in the Members' Gateway?

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2002, 06:15:54 PM »
Thanks MB but no luck.  I keep getting an error message.  It thinks that I'm not going through the member's gateway when in fact I am.