Author Topic: I have a question regarding accessing the members' archive using netscape 4.75  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
OK...

Let me just start by saying that by posting this, I am in no way trying to take away from the general function of this board or from the ability of those who run it to do the best they can in that.

Let me also say that by posting this, I am not asking for help other than a reply post attempting to answer my questions.

I will also try to be as forthcoming in describing my "problems" (though even this is probably too strong a word) as I can be.

Anyway...  I couple days ago I mentioned that I had a problem accessing the members archive with my browser (Internet Explorer version 5).  Other people also mentioned this problem, so I won't go into great depth with it (though I can if asked to).  This, in fact though, isn't my actual problem.  I found that I could access the archive (at least sometimes, I think I need to clear my cache maybe?) using Netscape Navigator version 4.75 (a program I didn't think I owned at the time).  After emptying my Netscape cache this evening (between 10:30 and whenever I manage to post this message) I tried to access the members' archive and received this message

"Uh, uh, uh!  You should know better than to try to come here using that browser!"

I assuming (maybe wrongly), that this isnt just another randomly generated error message.  I mean, there was a little smiley shaking its finger at me shamingly.  So, does this mean that my netscape 4.75 just can't enter the member's archive or have I triggered this message in some other way?  I know this isn't the most urgent plea, but help would be appreciated.

Oh, and thanks!
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
a couple days ago I mentioned that I had a problem accessing the members archive with my browser (Internet Explorer version 5).

The problem back then didn't really have to do with IE, per se - it was that the archive's system wasn't recognizing everyone's status. But that's been completely fixed, and you can go back to using IE anytime you might like to. ;)

I found that I could access the archive (at least sometimes, I think I need to clear my cache maybe?) using Netscape Navigator version 4.75 (a program I didn't think I owned at the time).

<snipped>

I tried to access the members' archive and received this message

"Uh, uh, uh!  You should know better than to try to come here using that browser!"

I assuming (maybe wrongly), that this isnt just another randomly generated error message.  I mean, there was a little smiley shaking its finger at me shamingly.  So, does this mean that my netscape 4.75 just can't enter the member's archive

Any version of Netscape before 6.0 just has too many problems deciphering the main forum and archive's system code. And there are also security issues associated with earlier versions. The people I caught who were up to no good in the archive on Saturday were using 4.7x - and that particular message was intended for them. [vryevl] There's no way to post using 4.7x, so it never occurred to me that anyone other than those people would even try to use it to log in to the forum. But as I said, IE will work just fine.

I know this isn't the most urgent plea, but help would be appreciated.

Well, we try (though we don't always succeed :-[) to solve  everyone's problems as soon as possible. There are no trivial pleas (well, not many at least [wink2]) - only diligent administrators who sometimes try to juggle doing five things at once. [lghy]

Oh, and thanks!

You're welcome. :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Any version of Netscape before 6.0 just has too many problems deciphering the main forum and archive's system code. And there are also security issues associated with earlier versions. The people I caught who were up to no good in the archive on Saturday were using 4.7x - and that particular message was intended for them. [vryevl] There's no way to post using 4.7x, so it never occurred to me that anyone other than those people would even try to use it to log in to the forum.

See what happens when people who don't know a damned thing about computers are allowed to use them?

I've been hopping back and forth between IE and Netscape for days now,  trying to see if one or the other was easier for me to read.  I had no idea what 'version' either browser is,  nor would it have occured to me that it mattered.  I DID discover that I can't post or send a message using Netscape, but I never thought to ask if it being 4.7 was the problem.

Sorry if I inadvertently added to your general aggravation....next time write and ask me what the hell I think I'm doing....the answer will almost certainly be that I haven't a clue!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile

See what happens when people who don't know a damned thing about computers are allowed to use them?

[rollb]
[spin]

MARK....WATCH WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT ME ;D

[rollb]
[spin]

;)Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Patti, that wasn't Mark's post you were looking at.

It was mine.

And I wasn't referring to you at all....I was referring to ME!!!  ::)

Sorry 'bout the mix-up.

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm

There ya go, Raineypark. I said it now, so yer off the hook.  ;D

[shadow=maroon,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Well, Thank You, Mark!!

Such a gentleman!  ;)

.....but then again, you're brought up that way, down South, aren't you? [lghy]

Raineypark
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Such a gentleman!.....but then again, you're brought up that way, down South, aren't you?

You know it, ma'am. Dang, these are some gooooood grits.

[shadow=maroon,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
My husband likes grits.....but then, his Mother was born and raised in Georgia.

I'm a New Yawka....wouldn't know a grit if it stood up and introduced itself!! [lghy]

Raineypark

Dylan Thomas

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
::)Raineypark, you can never eat just one "grit".  Another Georgian
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
:(Obviously I don't know how to type these posts.  My "inards" hang out!  Bear with me, please. Afan

Afan

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
:(Obviously I don't know how to type these posts.  My "inards" hang out!  Bear with me, please. Afan

You're doing fine, Afan! [thumb] And please don't be embarrassed about experimenting cuz that's what this board is for, and most of us have used it at one time or another.  The Preview feature lets you see how your message will look before anybody else ever sees it, though if you go ahead and post it then you can modify it at any time, plus we're always willing to take a look and help out if you're having a problem.

To tuck in those inards (hee hee), your text needs to be between the YaBB tags, like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=pink]text[/color]
and then the tags will disappear in your posted message, so it would look like this:

text

Verdana is the standard font, but Candlelighter tested some others under "Testing colors" that Cassandra started on this board.  Not all fonts show up on all browsers so not everyone will see them, but you can check it out to see which ones show up for you.

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
::){color=pink}text{/color}
Thanks a million!
Afan ::)

Afan

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
:'(Ouch! I didn't preview.  I used the wrong keys!
text [color]
Afan's face is red!

Afan

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
:'( :'( :'(  My message is still not printing in pink.  I tried
{ and then I tried still no good.  Help please. Afan

Afan