Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0907  (Read 2160 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0907
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0907
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:27:57 PM »
Julia's literal brush-off of Barnabas was sheer genius on Grayson Hall's part.

What a pity that Paul doesn't know about the secret room in the mausoleum!  I'm sure he would pull a Willie and drag Carolyn there in a heartbeat.  Interesting, by the way, that he didn't tell Elizabeth exactly what he was supposed to be paying to the Leviathan gang.

We got confirmation today that Barnabas did deliberately try to kill Grant Douglas in that car accident, in case we were ever in doubt.  And we got confirmation of the first crack in the hold of the Leviathans over Barnabas - or, to put it another way, we got confirmation that the Barnabas we used to know and love still exists, in a very muted form, inside the cold exterior we're seeing these days.  I don't know what to make of that.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 09:26:46 PM »
Julia's literal brush-off of Barnabas was sheer genius on Grayson Hall's part.

So true.  [thumb]

I also love these two captures from the scene outside of the hospital room:

Priceless expressions on both of their faces.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:55:14 AM »
querido Misterioso, these are FABULOUS. Thanks so much!

I just love that jutting lip from Grayson... and the hint of a sneer from Frid...

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »
At the end of #906, Liz spoke coldly to Paul when she pretended that he was getting through to her, then smiled while reporting back to Barnabas.  In the reshoot, she was gentler and kinder with Paul, then robotic on the phone with Barnabas.  I don't know if JB finally understood the scene, or if was the result of the different director, but her 2nd effort made more sense.

Coat, coats, coats.  And scarves and gloves and long-sleeved dresses, oh my!  'Til the season, after all.  Liz's wool cape coat is neat, and Carolyn's dark traveling coat with gold buttons is attractive.  As for Julia's coat (pictured above), ugh.  I think only Liz could pull off wearing a gorgeous black dress around the house.

A few quotes--

Paul to Liz and Carolyn:  "Well, why don't we all have a drink? That's what normal, ordinary people do on a festive occasion."
Did Paul forget he's at Collinwood?

Paul:  "It's really very quiet out here."
Liz:  "You used to complain a lot about that."
Love, love love these little clues about their marriage.
(And then a camera rolled in and out behind her.)

BTW, I also loved that Julia was caught eavesdropping.  It's about damn time that someone was.

Liz to Paul, as he stared at the portrait of Barnabas:  "Would you like me to have that taken down?"
Heresy!

Carolyn:  "Mrs. Johnson is as full of complaints as ever. Really, Julia, I wish you'd give her something to improve her disposition."
May I suggest introducing her to Grant Douglas?  If that isn't the equivalent of shock therapy, then I don't know what is.

It seemed silly for Julia to blame Barnabas for the amnesia when it could just as well have been a result of the head injury.  And if Barnabas had really wiped Grant's memory, you'd think he would have included the part about calling him "Quentin" over and over.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 10:22:54 PM »
Paul to Liz and Carolyn:  "Well, why don't we all have a drink? That's what normal, ordinary people do on a festive occasion."
Did Paul forget he's at Collinwood?

[lghy]

BTW, I also loved that Julia was caught eavesdropping.  It's about damn time that someone was.

Hell, yes! Barely a day ever seems to go by without someone doing it.  [lghg]

Carolyn:  "Mrs. Johnson is as full of complaints as ever. Really, Julia, I wish you'd give her something to improve her disposition."
May I suggest introducing her to Grant Douglas?  If that isn't the equivalent of shock therapy, then I don't know what is.

Agreed. And it's too bad that we never got to see the moment when Mrs. J. first laid eyes on him. Moments like that went so well with David, Amy and Roger.  [b003]  But given her penchant for histrionics, just imagine Mrs. J.'s reaction!

Actually, did Mrs. J. and Grant and/or Quentin ever even share a scene together? If so, none is coming to mind. But we see so little of Mrs. J. from this point on because much of the time Clarice Blackburn was working on The Secret Storm (in what by all accounts was a great role for her).

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:53:52 AM »
Actually, did Mrs. J. and Grant and/or Quentin ever even share a scene together? If so, none is coming to mind. But we see so little of Mrs. J. from this point on because much of the time Clarice Blackburn was working on The Secret Storm (in what by all accounts was a great role for her).

I don't think so either.  They just missed each other in 1995, which is a bummer.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »
Grant lies asleep in his hospital bed.  Barnabas stands at the foot of the bed, staring malevolently at Grant. Barn is thinking to himself--*I* drove that car, determined to kill the man Carolyn was going to meet, and that man was you, Quentin. . .I must kill you now, he says, reaching out his hands to wrap them around Quentin's throat. No, he admonishes himself--you saved me once when dawn was coming; I owe YOU one chance at life, the same chance you gave me--but only one, after that, I will have paid my debt and can do whatever I must.

I *really* cannot remember this scene...sounds great though.

At the end of #906, Liz spoke coldly to Paul when she pretended that he was getting through to her, then smiled while reporting back to Barnabas.  In the reshoot, she was gentler and kinder with Paul, then robotic on the phone with Barnabas.  I don't know if JB finally understood the scene, or if was the result of the different director,

They actually RE-SHOT a scene on DS??? [snow_huh] Whoa!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:17:16 AM »
Hi, Patti!  Up to this point, they reshot the openers most of the time.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
ECS sounds sincere this time in the first scene.   I couldn't tell what was being implied by yesterday's version.   It turns out Liz IS a Leviathan... but I recall no moment where we saw that happening.  Did the Dream do it?

Nice Barnabas logic... Barnabas is "saving Quentin's life" now by not strangling him, so they're even!   But next time, watch out!  What if Barnabas got it into his head to strangle him again five minutes (or five seconds) later, would it then be okay to do it, because he's not giving him any second chances?   

"I am the one responsible for this young man's unfortunate condition."  Yes you are!   Way to admit it without admitting it, Barnabas!

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »
It's nice to see a new set and Collinsport!  Hello there Qouglas! :) LOL  Are we seeing a bit of the good Barney shining through by sparing Qouglas? 

Jesus...JB can play ICE QUEEN to the hilt. She could hold her own with Joan Crawford I think!  Hmmph....long live Miss Bennett!  That stare was cold as the 2 degree weather we had last week.  I love JB's beautiful fair skin as it's such a lovely contrast to her dark hair and I loved the days when people didn't look liked they laid on a beach in Tahiti year round!  UGH!

Thankfully Julia finally has a new jacket as I really really like it! I don't seem to recall this jacket! 

If it is you Quentin how hot and helpless you look lying there? Do you need a candy stripper to visit your room??   POOR BABY! :(   Oh that beautiful southern voice!  :)

Did Carolyn ever seen Grant or whoever the SAM hell this person is??   It's great to see DS regardless of what capacity! 

Julia is a working her gloves as usual! I have never seen a woman work gloves like she can!  Oh how I love the sparring between Julia and Barney.  "Do we really have anything to say to each other??" Tell him the eff off gal!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
Did Carolyn ever seen Grant or whoever the SAM hell this person is??

I wondered why she didn't recognize him, but then (except in somebody else's dream) I couldn't recall Carolyn ever coming face to face with the ghost.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »
Thanks Midnite!  And excuse my seen instead of see.  I am bit tired...but want to get caught up! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:46:13 PM »
It's great to see more reviews from you!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:13:38 PM »
Good to be back my darling Midnite! ;)